Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   3 inch body lift (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/3-inch-body-lift-37497.html)

beast 8787 10-04-2009 03:03 PM

3 inch body lift

I have a 98 wrangler and I recently tried to put some 32 inch tires on it and there just a little bit close so I'm thinking about putting a 3 inch body lift kit on it would it cause any problems? Would I have to do any major modifications to install it?

ryt2112 10-04-2009 03:10 PM

You would be so much better off just doing a 2" budget boost instead.

Scout 10-04-2009 06:08 PM

3" body lifts are pretty much frowned on. That's just way too much. Stick with 1" and maybe...maybe 2".

nicolas-eric 10-04-2009 06:15 PM

a 2" spring spacer lift would be better.
32" tires with 2" spacers look like this (sorry for the chrome, itīs an old pic):

http://up.picr.de/3024832.jpg

ExDementia 10-04-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolas-eric (Post 453398)
sorry for the chrome

You better be sorry!! There are kids on this forum... Sheesh

:flipoff:

nicolas-eric 10-04-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExDementia (Post 453482)
You better be sorry!! There are kids on this forum... Sheesh

:flipoff:

The pic is 3 years old. since then I replaced most of the chome parts with durable black steel parts because the chrome parts broke or fell of while I was wheeling. :rofl:

busdriverwillie 10-04-2009 08:41 PM

I would stay away from the BL's. Why not save and spend the money on a decent suspension lift? To me you would be much happier in the long run with a suspension lift than going 3" BL and some shops might not even install them.

BTW ryt2112 nice signature, haha fat cat

Scout 10-04-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busdriverwillie (Post 453528)
I would stay away from the BL's. Why not save and spend the money on a decent suspension lift? To me you would be much happier in the long run with a suspension lift than going 3" BL and some shops might not even install them.

BTW ryt2112 nice signature, haha fat cat

Actually a 1" body lift isn't a bad thing. There are a lot of after market skid plates that require a 1" body lift.

Jerry Bransford 10-04-2009 09:40 PM

X2, a 1" body lift is fine but stay away from 3" body lifts which just cause too many problems... both installation and post-installation. 2" body lifts are only sometimes ok, as in when nothing else works. By the way, a 3" body lift is a royal PITA to install due to all the mods you have to do to make it work. :)

mrcarcrazy 10-05-2009 10:12 AM

And they Looks silly as hell

ExDementia 10-05-2009 11:27 AM

My last Jeep had a 3" body lift when I bought it, to be honest, it was embarrassing:banghead:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...a/P7010229.jpg

Geo 10-05-2009 11:51 AM

yeah mine also came with one, there is just no way to hide it, looks terrible. DON'T DO IT!

Bignuke 10-05-2009 03:04 PM

Mine came with one also. It was very bad, the drive was horrible. Could hardly go into gear and such and it also looks bad. Go with BB

kdukes4 10-05-2009 08:12 PM

theres a guy who i ride with that has a 2" BB with a 3" BL sitting on 34 tsl's. actually doesn't look all too bad. however, when he moves side to side while recovering from a drop or climb, man that tub looks like it just wants to break those mounts right off. even 1.25" would be okay but i think 3" could be full of trouble.

cdnabn49 10-05-2009 09:59 PM

mine came with a 4" body lift and I hate it... gonna rip it out in spring and do a 2" suspension lift...

thechAd 10-06-2009 10:03 AM

Don't mean to thread jack but how hard was it for you guys to get your body lifts off? Mine came with a 2" BF and I want to take it off and put a 3" to 4" suspension lift on it. I plan to do this in the spring so anyone near Louisville who's done it before wants to help a brother out it would be appreciated.

Geo 10-06-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechAd (Post 454479)
Don't mean to thread jack but how hard was it for you guys to get your body lifts off? Mine came with a 2" BF and I want to take it off and put a 3" to 4" suspension lift on it. I plan to do this in the spring so anyone near Louisville who's done it before wants to help a brother out it would be appreciated.

I haven't had time to take mine off yet and prolly won't for a while, but from what I have heard its a pretty simple operation as long as you don't have much rust. Rust = problems. Just unbolt one side and take the blocks out, then do the other. Find the directions to install the kit, then kinda follow it backwards. At least that is my plan.

thechAd 10-06-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo (Post 454503)
I haven't had time to take mine off yet and prolly won't for a while, but from what I have heard its a pretty simple operation as long as you don't have much rust. Rust = problems. Just unbolt one side and take the blocks out, then do the other. Find the directions to install the kit, then kinda follow it backwards. At least that is my plan.

Don't they come with longer bolts. I wonder how much stock stuff I will need to rebuy for this. Regardless I want it off and a suspension lift put on. I thought about keeping it on with the suspension lift I can barely get in the garage now with the safari rack on.

Geo 10-06-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechAd (Post 454509)
Don't they come with longer bolts. I wonder how much stock stuff I will need to rebuy for this. Regardless I want it off and a suspension lift put on. I thought about keeping it on with the suspension lift I can barely get in the garage now with the safari rack on.

I have priced new stock hardware and it cost the same for a 1" BL kit. (I meant to mention that in above post.) So I won't have to search and make sure I get all the hardware needed, it will all come together.

thechAd 10-06-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo (Post 454521)
I have priced new stock hardware and it cost the same for a 1" BL kit. (I meant to mention that in above post.) So I won't have to search and make sure I get all the hardware needed, it will all come together.

Good idea.

ryt2112 10-06-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechAd (Post 454479)

Here is a link to the first part (of 2) of the Rokmen video on how to install a body lift. Just do it backwards ;)

YouTube - ROKMEN - Body Lift, Motor Mount Lift Installation -Part 1

It is a very good vid. Good luck!

thechAd 10-06-2009 02:34 PM

Thanks

Svenlacrosse 12-02-2009 09:23 AM

3 inch body lift

so whats a way to lift the jeep that is just as affordable?

thechAd 12-02-2009 09:47 AM

There really isn't one. If you want a lifted Jeep and you don't want to be a poser you're going to have to save up and invest. You will be much happier with yourself in the long run and you won't have the guys that know what to look for, pointing and laughing when you drive by.

Mr. WOT 12-02-2009 10:00 AM

I got the 2" BB and I'm very happy w it and it will fit 32's fine...as soon as I get some in the next ten years. BB is 274 from Quadratec. or you could get a RC 3.5" lift (is that right?) that a lot of people like as well 'within a budget'.

Adamlee78 12-02-2009 11:05 AM

Go ahead and replace those worn out shocks and springs with a 2.5 lift from Rough Country and clear the 32's with no issues. No budget boost or body lift. Body lift dangerous! and budget boost wear out. and I am sure the old springs are tired anyways. small suspension is not that much more than a budget boost!

Svenlacrosse 12-03-2009 12:21 PM

what do you guys think of this? Skyjacker Standard 2" Spacer Lift Kit with Hydro Shocks for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

broncguy 01-29-2010 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well i'll admit they do look somewhat funny when used without a suspension lift or when you have nerfbars like mine, haha i need to get them off. But they are handy for squeezing a couple extra inches for clearance. I'm running a 3in body lift 4in suspension and 35x12.50's. i took the body lift off one of my other trucks and i had to make all the shifter drop brakets but it still works fine. It does add to the top heaviness though and on a jeep its no joke anyway. As for ride quality mine rode like a wagon before and it still does. I'd say if its what you want go for it, and if your jeep is like mine the body lift wont be the worst looking thing on it lol

meyers 01-29-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryt2112 (Post 454638)
Here is a link to the first part (of 2) of the Rokmen video on how to install a body lift. Just do it backwards ;)

YouTube - ROKMEN - Body Lift, Motor Mount Lift Installation -Part 1

It is a very good vid. Good luck!

So could you just watch the video in rewind, to remove the BL :)