Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   TJ Tech Forum (
-   -   rear suspension troubles... (

crazyredneck 10-08-2009 02:03 AM

rear suspension troubles...
to start out with, i started to get this knocking/clunking sound when i traveled over bumps at slow speeds. it has progressively gotten worse and i am now getting a death wobble from the rear end at highway speeds. it start vibrating at about 65 and keeps getting worse as i accelerate.

if i punch the throttle it almost goes away and as soon as i let off it feels as the jeep is about to fly apart.

i am fairly positive that it is not the tires, and i know for a fact that the u-joints are fine.

what could it be besides bushings? i might have time tomorrow night to look at it a little closer.

JimmyJazz 10-08-2009 03:08 AM

I'm not a pro, but i think you could check the Bushings (front and rear)

nicolas-eric 10-08-2009 06:13 AM

Itīs something wrong with your suspension.
CA bushings? TB bushings? CA mounts? TB mounts?

snwchris 10-08-2009 09:29 AM

I doubts it's rear DW, but I would definately check the following:
1. Trackbar Bushing & bolts, both frame & axle side
2. Control Arm Bushings & bolts
3. Output Yoke/Pinion on the Rearend, is there any play in it???
4. Check u-joints, physically grab at the joint and try moving up & down or side to side. I had a set of u-joints the wallowed out the cast ears in my rear pinion yoke.

bigskydrift 10-08-2009 03:11 PM

I am having a similar problem in my '97 TJ.
Jeep suspension is stock, whenever I hit bumps I hear a loud "clunk" from rear end and jeep will sway from side to side........bushings? How do you know if they are bad, and how hard are they to replace?
Jeep has 71,000 miles on it......:confused:

snwchris 10-08-2009 07:58 PM

You should be able to visually get an idea if they look farily worn or torn. Otherwise unbolt the arms to get a look at them.

Also check rear swaybar links to make sure tight & secure.

Lower & upper shock mounts, check bolts. Mine lower shock mount loosen up typically and clunk so then re-tighten

bigskydrift 10-09-2009 01:57 AM

Thanks Chris, for your help, will check it out further, and will be back!