Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Ammo can center console (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/ammo-can-center-console-37897.html)

ExDementia 10-12-2009 02:59 AM

Ammo can center console
 
I hate my center console, its sun faded, the lock is broken, and its stupidly hard to get open sometimes.

I know this is easier on a YJ/CJ but I have seen a few people do it for TJ's. I have the 20mm ammo can, I'm going to spray it black to match my Jeep, then I'm going to cut a hole and slot for my hand brake. All this is not a problem.

But what can I do about where the rest of the stock console usually covers up? It would look odd/ugly to have the shifter and 4wd lever uncovered, especially since the rubber boot thing attached to the tub is ripped.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...070093modd.jpg

I guess I could try and make a leather(like) shift boot to cover those up. Anyone have any ideas how I could make this look decent? Any way I could just scrape that foam crap off and paint that bracket? Is that foam really doing anything?

Oh and here are the links to some people who did this for their TJ's.
Ammo Can Center Console and Lockable Rear Storage
Finally made my ammo can console :)
They must have the two piece center console, I unfortunately do not.

csamn2007 10-12-2009 06:14 AM

I like the idea! If you are just look for cosmetic i would just say bed line it if you have any left. Other than the arm rest part. Are you going to aploster (sp?) the top with padded leather or anything?

CMEvans79 10-12-2009 12:03 PM

it looks to me like the "Finally made my ammo can console" might have cut their console to fit.

ccain 10-12-2009 12:26 PM

Hey there Ex. Just a word to the wise. I used a 205mm Ammo can for a console in the Sarge.
http://photos.klr650.net/albums/user...2/20mm_can.jpg

With the top down and the sun beating down on it... It will take the hide right off your arm.

You'll have to cut a slot in the front and along the bottom in the front to clear the e-brake, but it will work just fine.
I got mine in Oceanside at G.I. Joe's for like $16. They have various sizes and they have fabbed some up them up to lock.
You may or may not have to alter the front latch in order to work right.

ccain 10-12-2009 12:34 PM

Duh! I just went back and looked at your links. Yup, do it just like that and you'll be fine! ;)

ExDementia 10-12-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMEvans79 (Post 457935)
it looks to me like the "Finally made my ammo can console" might have cut their console to fit.

Yeah I said that in my post:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by csamn2007 (Post 457820)
I like the idea! If you are just look for cosmetic i would just say bed line it if you have any left. Other than the arm rest part. Are you going to aploster (sp?) the top with padded leather or anything?

Nah I wasn't gonna pad it or anything, I was just going to spray paint it flat black, probly not bedline it, seems like it would be uncomfortable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccain (Post 457948)
With the top down and the sun beating down on it... It will take the hide right off your arm.

Yeah I was expecting that, I already throw a rag over my console when my tops down because the metal lock always burns my arm. Thanks:wavey:

would I be hurting anything if I scraped that ugly foam off?

ExDementia 10-12-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccain (Post 457953)
Duh! I just went back and looked at your links. Yup, do it just like that and you'll be fine! ;)

Haha yeah, I know what I'm going to do with the actual can, I just dont know what to do about the uncovered shifter and 4wd lever.:D

ccain 10-12-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExDementia (Post 457955)

would I be hurting anything if I scraped that ugly foam off?

I'm pretty sure the foam is just a gasket for wind noise and temp control. As long as it's still under the plate it should be fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExDementia (Post 457957)
Haha yeah, I know what I'm going to do with the actual can, I just dont know what to do about the uncovered shifter and 4wd lever.:D

Hahaha... Just go "full on military" and paint 'em OD. :D

mrcarcrazy 10-12-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExDementia (Post 457957)
Haha yeah, I know what I'm going to do with the actual can, I just dont know what to do about the uncovered shifter and 4wd lever.:D

Sheet metal, or get another ammo can to hack up...

ExDementia 10-12-2009 01:32 PM

I think I'm going to buy some cheap shift boots on eBay, I'm sure I can make these fit. I can make ebrake boots fit the 4wd lever I bet too, they pretty much stay in the same positions, all the way forward, to tilting up.

E-brake and 4wd lever boots:
02-07 Jeep Liberty CENTER CONSOLE E BRAKE BOOT trim:eBay Motors (item 370234195576 end time Oct-21-09 14:07:26 PDT)
VW GOLF MK3 VENTO / JETTA E BRAKE BOOT BLACK LEATHER:eBay Motors (item 300355831909 end time Nov-08-09 15:36:20 PST)
Nissan Maxima Ebrake Boot Emergency 1995-1999 95 96 97:eBay Motors (item 170391119946 end time Oct-15-09 13:40:24 PDT)

Then just a shifter boot:
CUSTOM MADE 1989 - 94 Nissan 240sx black shift boot:eBay Motors (item 380142571856 end time Oct-22-09 14:00:30 PDT)
Or maybe I could just use the stock one :confused:

ExDementia 10-12-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy (Post 457961)
Sheet metal, or get another ammo can to hack up...

Ammo can shift boot:confused:

haha

mrcarcrazy 10-12-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExDementia (Post 458004)
Ammo can shift boot:confused:

haha

:flipoff:It makes shifts a little stiffer, but it keeps the shifter safe from most shrapnel.

NOOOO. I meant as a surround, kinda tuffy console-esque. You said "uncovered". so I thought of a way to "cover" them...said nothing about boots. :p

The 240's boot will be too small I believe.

ExDementia 10-12-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy (Post 458156)
:flipoff:It makes shifts a little stiffer, but it keeps the shifter safe from most shrapnel.

NOOOO. I meant as a surround, kinda tuffy console-esque. You said "uncovered". so I thought of a way to "cover" them...said nothing about boots. :p

The 240's boot will be too small I believe.

Haha I knew what you meant, I was just giving you a hard time lol.:D

Yeah but the 240 boot might be a little small. there are alot of universal shift boots on ebay, but they all have blue, red, or yellow stitching:banghead:

DougTimme 10-12-2009 06:10 PM

I did a small one for my 48 CJ
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...imme/001-3.jpg
Doug

ExDementia 10-12-2009 06:44 PM

Nice^^


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.