Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   If I did it all over again.... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/if-i-did-it-all-over-again-38072.html)

twopolarbears 10-15-2009 11:50 AM

If I did it all over again....

Your Jeep may or may not be lifted. But lets say it isn't, and your ready.... or you've been given the funds to do it differently. Lets say those funds total about 3000 dollars.
I'm about to lift my Jeep. I'm going to run 33x12.5 tires. I have already purchased (because of a great deal on them) a set of Ultra Nomads 15x10's (with 3.77 inch backspacing), and putting on the new Wrangler Dura-tracs at 33x12.5
Now, i was going to go with a 4.5 inch Rubicon Express Superflex... but after visiting a local dealer/installer of 4x4 parts and accessories, he said the Rubi Express wasn't a good lift. he told me it would bounce around a lot on the road, and feel unstable. They were selling the 4 inch Rough Country installed for $1000. (the kit itself can be seen at the Rough Country website, and sell for about 600.). They were only going to do a Transfer Case drop as the driveline modification. i was assuming I would NEED a Slip yoke Eliminator due to the height I'm wanting to achieve. They said I didn't need it, and to only install it if I get driveline vibrations.

Okay, so now I'm lost... thought I knew what I wanted, and probably like some of you when first venturing into the land of jeep modifications, possibly got some bad information from a local installer who wants to sell me a particular thing. OR, it may be good info, and I don't need to waste money.

I dropped $1300 on my five rims and tires. I'm looking to spend about the same, maybe slightly more on the lift. I need your help. anyones help, in deciding how to do that best. By that I mean, I'm more of a QUALITY guy, than a QUANTITY guy. I'd rather my lift be done right, be safe, not produce problems (vibrations, death wobble, etc..). I don't drive my jeep everyday, but I would like to get as close as possible to a stock ride. I know that a lift will change the driving characteristics of the jeep, but i certainly don't want to be on pavement, feeling like I'm driving on basketballs, and the dealer said that is what the Rubi Express kit would feel like. I don't know if I should believe him.

I'm asking you, the forum members, to chose an option on the poll, and then back up your choice with input as to why, or offer me some advice on the best way to go about getting a GOOD, SAFE, DESIREABLE lift for my baby Sarah (2002 Sahara). i don't want to spend a lot of money, but will do what I need to do to get the desired lift, and have it be safe for pavement, as well as off-road. I'm not a rock-crawler in this thing, as there are very few rocks... more muddy sandy trails than anything.... and occasional swamp land i need to be 'elevated' for....

Please, give me your constructive input to what brand I should buy, what amount of lift I should go with, and what if anything I should probably do to maintain that safe, problem free ride on my new 33's.

Thanks for your time....

twopolarbears

jdhallissey 10-15-2009 11:57 AM

You left a lot un answered tho. What do you do with it? Rocks mud mostly driving down the road. I run a 4in lift and it is a hair stiff but the price you pay when you go above and beyond. Now OME will ride the best out of any except going full coil over. So what do you want to do with your jeep then I/we can help you out better.I would personally stay away from Rough Country tho.

jwells36 10-15-2009 12:02 PM

i would say if you are looking for more of on-road manners i would go OME and then ad a jks 1.25in body lift and you will be set. Unless your answer to the above question is that you like to climb rocks and do alot of off-road driving as well.

jw

twopolarbears 10-15-2009 12:03 PM

Okay... good question. I'm not a rock crawler... northern florida here is sandy muddy and swampy... the occasional tree stump. I am trying to get my jeep to look good, and have a better stance, but I'm not afraid to take her out and get her dirty..... scratched, forging paths through the brush for the pack... I mean, she's a jeep, that's why I got her. Oh, her name is Sarah by the way... and I love her... wanna treat her right, and do this lift the right way, the first time.

Thanks...

ALSO: We have a military reservation here (I'm retired air force), and I have thousands of fire trails, and barely traveled roads and some hills to tear around on. That's where she spends most of her time. i do want to keep her roads manners about her... i like how this TJ rides, and handles. I know changing stuff up will affect her ride, so if I can stay as close to that as possible... cool. I'm more or less frustrated with what my local shop told me, and I think he gave me bogus info. I never heard bad stuff about RE until him... i think he was just trying to get me to buy his rough country package... and before I leap, i want some of ya'lls opinions...

UPDATE: I'm leaning towards the RE SUPERFLEX 4.5 kit, but with 3.5 springs.... that way I get all the adjustable stuff.... and then looking at an AA SYE, and a CV from Tom Woods.... at least this is my mind set... and I'm thinking that should be all I need.... but want input on other brands, success stories, horror stories, recommended height, shocks, etc... (I don't know what shocks to get, but someone told me to go with OME Mono's)

adkjoe 10-15-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwells36 (Post 460045)
i would say if you are looking for more of on-road manners i would go OME and then ad a jks 1.25in body lift and you will be set. Unless your answer to the above question is that you like to climb rocks and do alot of off-road driving as well.

jw

I can understand the rock crawling but why not OME if you do a lot of off road driving as well?

SurfNaked2010 10-15-2009 12:05 PM

everything i have read or heard about RE and OME are good.OME hands down best comfort ride and stance. RE you can buy the 3.5 standard kit (levels out to about 4 1/2" settles to 4 1/4" or 4" for a good price and you can also install the short arm kit down the road if you want to.

4point 10-15-2009 12:08 PM

Using the list you provided and the info you have given. Rubicon Express is always a good choice.

twopolarbears 10-15-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 460056)
Using the list you provided and the info you have given. Rubicon Express is always a good choice.

Is there anything not on the list you would reccomend? I'm open to suggestions.. that's why I am here and posted this. I appreciate the weath of knowledge you all have from blazing this trail before...

nicolas-eric 10-15-2009 12:15 PM

I drove many different suspensions when I wanted to buy one. IMO OME was the best of them.

My 2.5" OME suspension with 2.5" spacers, OME long travel shocks and currie adj. CAs and TBs rides still better on the road than a friends 4.5" RE.

nicolas-eric 10-15-2009 12:16 PM

I wouldnīt recommend RC and Rancho.

4point 10-15-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twopolarbears (Post 460062)
Is there anything not on the list you would reccomend? I'm open to suggestions.. that's why I am here and posted this. I appreciate the weath of knowledge you all have from blazing this trail before...

Rock Krawler. After seeing the abuse these kits have taken puts them at the top of my list. After that it's custom lifts. OME is nice stuff but lacks CA's.

nicolas-eric 10-15-2009 12:34 PM

DPG offers good OME suspension, BL, CA, TB kits:

OME TJ/LJ Kits

350chevrolet 10-15-2009 12:58 PM

i run the 4.5" RE superflex and love it. once you get everything dialed in it rides nice, different from stock as with any suspension lift, but its fine with me. my tj is my daily driver and with the 4.5" RE kit and 35" tires i will drive it anywhere and when im offroad it goes wherever i want it to go. if you go with RE and want to use their shocks make sure to get the monotubes, the twin tubes are junk imo.

mrcarcrazy 10-15-2009 01:31 PM

Don't trust any 4x4 shop that wants to drop the TC. its a waste of lift. Granted it is cheaper than going SYE...but to me its the 1/2 ass way of getting things done.

Personally I'd call up DPG or Rokmen about an OME setup. and add JKS BL to the equation. - this is purely my opinion that I've made off reading this and 3 other Jeep/off road forums.

nicolas-eric 10-15-2009 02:01 PM

When you spend the money for a SYE I would instal a flat TC skid plate at the same time. That gives you 2-3" more ground clearance for not very much money.

If you only want a good looking TJ and ground clearance isnīt necassary, why not do a TC dop?

twopolarbears 10-15-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolas-eric (Post 460164)
When you spend the money for a SYE I would instal a flat TC skid plate at the same time. That gives you 2-3" more ground clearance for not very much money.

If you only want a good looking TJ and ground clearance isnīt necassary, why not do a TC dop?

Whoa there tex. I never said I wanted JUST a good looking Jeep. I wheel my baby... often... but I'm now wanting to go beyond stock. I'm tired of not being able to venture into some of the swamp land, muddy trails, my lifted brethren go into...

But, i do want it to look good to. I'm going with an SYE over a TC drop, because to me, a TC drop is a band-aid to eliminating potential driveline problems. I just want to do it right. Besides, the SYE install looks fun. (Did I just say that?).

SoCal147 10-15-2009 02:12 PM

Rock Krawler JK 3.5" Mid Arm Kit will be here tomorrow. I wont be able to install for quite some time due to a surgery scheduled for Monday. I will update once I get a good desert run in on her. It will be my Jeeps inaugeral run. :punk: :wavey: :pop:

jwells36 10-15-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkjoe (Post 460050)
I can understand the rock crawling but why not OME if you do a lot of off road driving as well?

My only thinking was if he was going to spend more time off-road than on he might want to look at a 4in kit, I am a big fan of OME stuff. It just seems to be aimed more at guys that use them on the road just as much as off road. Like i use my jeep 80% on road but need it to perform during hunting season and while camping so OME fits me perfect. I dont go out and seek out the biggest rocks to climb like some guys do with thier jeeps.

jw

twopolarbears 10-15-2009 02:35 PM

I definately appreciate all the input here.... it's been great. And looking at the poll results, it's clear that OME and RE are stand outs... and the Rough Country the local installer wanted to sell me was probably for his benefit, not mine.

I do about 70/30 (as in on-raod/off-road) with my Sahara. it's mostly sandy/muddy trails, slight hills, the occasional river bank, swamp land... and every once in awhile, we come across that river or puddle that I'm jsut not brave enough to take my stock suspension, with 31inch wheel into. I want to remedy that.

I want it to still ride as best as possible... on or off road.... but i want to ride height and wheel/rims combination to look good too.... it's not a pavement queen.... but I appreciate a well built, good looking jeep. Might consider some mods for more power down the road, but we'll have to see how this 5-spd 4.0L does with these new Ultra Nomad Rims and Wrangler DuraTrac tires (33x12.5) They each weight about 65 pounds is my guess.... might be changing gears too.... that can all come later. The lift has to be done first, and I want it done right... as I've mentioned several times.

Again, thanks for the input. It's been great. Keep it coming if you feel added value. i haven't purchased my stuff yet.

adkjoe 10-15-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwells36 (Post 460196)
My only thinking was if he was going to spend more time off-road than on he might want to look at a 4in kit, I am a big fan of OME stuff. It just seems to be aimed more at guys that use them on the road just as much as off road. Like i use my jeep 80% on road but need it to perform during hunting season and while camping so OME fits me perfect. I dont go out and seek out the biggest rocks to climb like some guys do with thier jeeps.

jw

Yea I hear ya I was just curious. I have an ome on the way, My jeep is my DD but I also wheel the crap out of it, I don't rock crawl but like you I use it to get to deep camp spots, hunting grounds and just to go mudding and exploring so I think OME will fit me well to.

jwells36 10-15-2009 02:56 PM

yeah i think you will like it alot for that application. Mine never failed me at the deer lease, and we can get some nasty wet weather during deer season.

jw

4Jeepn 10-15-2009 09:28 PM

1st find a new shop, they have no clue what they are talking about. For 33's RE lift, either 3.5 or 4/5 springs.. ALL adjustable control arms, but I think I would go with super ride vs super flex joints if they still offer them. SYE/Shaft. Front and rear adj trac-bars.

pyro 10-16-2009 09:50 AM

I voted for the superlift. thats what I have 4" lift w/ 33*12.5*15s. It rides better then stock. It a lil stiff on the road but its a jeep not a cadillac. It rides great on the trails at 15psi. I am 100% happy so far.
I am not easy on my Jeep by any streatch, and I have yet to break anything that came with the lift. A few weeks ago I twisted both upper control arms jumpin sand dunes in NJ. everything aftermarket from the lift stayed strait and true.
The lift cost me just over $1100 ish. The lift came w/ springs, remote res shocks, lower control arms, sway bar links, t-case drop, hardware, rear trac bar bracket and all hardware stuff. I had to add an adj front trac bar for a 4"-6" lift as I got more than 4" out of the lift. I also replaced the OE steering damper w/ an OME damper.

In the end I would buy the same lift again. hope this helps

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolas-eric (Post 460164)

I still dont fully understand this. I dropped my T-case cuz I cant afford the Sye/cv yet. they are on the list, but I still have to get my 8.8 in and do something about the front D30. Anyway, I am not claming to be MR off road or anything like that, ive only had my jeep for a year. All the times I got stuck, mud, rocks, hills, I have yet to get stuck on my t-case. I do get stuck on the pumpkins tho.

Schmo 10-16-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twopolarbears (Post 460062)

Personally I wouldn't recommend any of these kits as they all have their faults. OME and RE are probably the best two options listed and have some good components, but there are areas that both are lacking. I'm not a OME guy but it seems like most people like the ride on-road, but from what I've seen, they don't offer a complete kit (control arms, track bars, etc) and with the 2.5" kit you'll need the BL to clear the 33's . . . a BL is not nearly as bad as something like dropping the TC, but it's something I'd rather avoid. The RE kit is probably the most popular kit out there for mild wheelers . . . you might check around with a local club and see how their products hold up in the terrain you wheel in, but I would not recommend any lift that has bushings in the control arms . . . even on one end . . . as they just don't hold up when you flex and you'll end up either replacing bushings all the time or having to upgrade. If I had to do it over again (I'm on 33's with a 4" lift) I'd peice a kit together. I'd get all 8 control arms from Currie (JJs on both ends), Trackbars from either Currie or possibly JKS, and maybe the cheapo RE kit that just comes with springs, bumpstops, and upgrade the shocks to monotubes. The only "kit" that I'd consider would be the Currie kit, as I know most the parts are solid, the only thing I'm not sure about are their springs.

twopolarbears 10-16-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmo (Post 460934)
Personally I wouldn't recommend any of these kits as they all have their faults. OME and RE are probably the best two options listed and have some good components, but there are areas that both are lacking. I'm not a OME guy but it seems like most people like the ride on-road, but from what I've seen, they don't offer a complete kit (control arms, track bars, etc) and with the 2.5" kit you'll need the BL to clear the 33's . . . a BL is not nearly as bad as something like dropping the TC, but it's something I'd rather avoid. The RE kit is probably the most popular kit out there for mild wheelers . . . you might check around with a local club and see how their products hold up in the terrain you wheel in, but I would not recommend any lift that has bushings in the control arms . . . even on one end . . . as they just don't hold up when you flex and you'll end up either replacing bushings all the time or having to upgrade. If I had to do it over again (I'm on 33's with a 4" lift) I'd peice a kit together. I'd get all 8 control arms from Currie (JJs on both ends), Trackbars from either Currie or possibly JKS, and maybe the cheapo RE kit that just comes with springs, bumpstops, and upgrade the shocks to monotubes. The only "kit" that I'd consider would be the Currie kit, as I know most the parts are solid, the only thing I'm not sure about are their springs.

excellent input. Thanks... I will check out the cost/options etc... with Currie. Any recommended places to get that stuff?

jdhallissey 10-16-2009 12:55 PM

Look at all the jeep places online. Even if you have to pick different websites to complete what you want that makes it cheaper do it that way.IE if you want ome lift and want control arms buy them at separate places. I found a great place in Georgia that is CHEAP price wise. They are 30 bucks on average under quadratec and the likes.

nicolas-eric 10-16-2009 12:59 PM

Btw. sometimes Currie has special deals when you buy 8 CAs and 2 TBs.

And take a look at ebay.
I bought my 8 Currie CAs and 2 TBs and a TeraFlex belly-up skid used for only 600$ (only 2 months old, he wanted a LA suspension).

jdhallissey 10-16-2009 01:01 PM

^ you STOLE that from the guy :D good job

Jerry Bransford 10-16-2009 01:59 PM

Currie's suspension products are EXCELLENT quality, probably about the best quality available for a suspension lift. I run a few Currie products myself. That said, for the wheeling conditions you described and for the $$$, I think your RE's 4.5" lift with 3.5" springs idea is a very good one and what I'd recommend. Just avoid RE's twin-tube shocks that are WAY too stiff for a TJ, go for their better quality/better riding Monotubes which are one of the few good-riding gas-charged shocks out there. :)

twopolarbears 10-16-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 461025)
Currie's suspension products are EXCELLENT quality, probably about the best quality available for a suspension lift. I run a few Currie products myself. That said, for the wheeling conditions you described and for the $$$, I think your RE's 4.5" lift with 3.5" springs idea is a very good one and what I'd recommend. Just avoid RE's twin-tube shocks that are WAY too stiff for a TJ, go for their better quality/better riding Monotubes which are one of the few good-riding gas-charged shocks out there. :)

This is pretty much the consensus I've gotten from most folks here and at another forum I frequent. ALL good info, and I really do appreciate the input... I don't think I can stress that enough. it's really nice to have a community of folks willing to give their two cents without be a-holes... which happens a lot at other sites.

I've just got to figure out now if my skill set (23 year Air Force Aircraft mechanic of electronics), and that of my friend (26 year Jet Engine Mechanic) are good enough to do this. The lift itself I'm not so worried about. The SYE and CV, a little bit.... and then the alignment. I want to get that all right. i love how she handles now, and want her to be safe, and road worthy when i'm done. Just trying to make sure I've got my bases covered, and that my shopping list has everything I need to get her up, and my new 33x12.5's underneath her.... 'Nice' stuff to have can come later, but necessity stuff needs to come now....

I'm really looking forward to the build, and will take foto's and post a build thread here as it happens.