Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Squealing from the engine compartment (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/squealing-from-the-engine-compartment-38270.html)

forker 10-19-2009 11:34 AM

Squealing from the engine compartment

So I have a 95 2.5 wrangler and there has been this persistant squeal comming from under the hood. It seems to be comming from the vicintity of the fuel injectors, but really sounded like a belt squeal. After replacing the belt, I concured it wasn't a belt.

The squeal starts up after the engine has warmed up. When the engine is under some considerable load, ie, acceleration, the noise stops, except when I push in the clutch to shift gears, in which the squeals returns. Then, once I reach cruising speeds and not accelerating anymore, the noise builds back up.

This noise is driving me crazy, so if anyone has any idea, please, I'm loosing my mind!

tlrrob1000 10-19-2009 12:18 PM

I was leaning toward the the intake or exhaust manifolds. But it goes away under load?:crash:

forker 10-19-2009 07:40 PM

Basically, the squeal changes pitch as I hit the gas, generally, the lower the rpm the higher the pitch. And as I accelerate, the squeal goes away, until I reach cruising speed and don't need to push on the gas as hard.

A second note to the problem that could very likely be related. Previous owners of this jeep didn't take the best of care of it. The oil had/has a large amount of sludge and the pressure has always seemed to be a bit on the high side. This last oil change, I ran some cleaner through it before changing the oil and the pressure problem subsided a bit. And after a day of driving the squeal doesn't seem to be as loud, it's still there and acting as it has been, but just a little quieter, just a little though.

I don't know. Wits end over here.

tlrrob1000 10-19-2009 11:53 PM

Something else that can cause a squeel is the pilot bearing. Try and see if it changes pitch while you push the clutch in and out.

mkyv_18 11-05-2009 12:47 PM

Im having a similar problem. did you find a resolution?

Thanks, Mike

Fweaky 11-05-2009 12:54 PM

I agree with tlrrob1000, I would say clutch pilot bearing also if the squealing stops when you push in the clutch.

anfunk3 08-19-2012 04:41 PM

I have the same exact problem and I can't find a resolution anyway. Wondering if anyone has figured it out or has anymore ideas. The squealing is driving me insane. Thanks!!

Redrider94 08-19-2012 05:20 PM

You have a vacuum leak, when the engine is at a low rpm or idle you have the most vacuum, thus the most noise through the point of the leak. When you increase engine speed the the vacuum is at its lowest, less noise. You will need to listen around your engine to find the leak.

90DesertTanYJ 08-20-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redrider94 (Post 2700946)
You have a vacuum leak, when the engine is at a low rpm or idle you have the most vacuum, thus the most noise through the point of the leak. When you increase engine speed the the vacuum is at its lowest, less noise. You will need to listen around your engine to find the leak.

I agree with this. Symptoms are exactly how the vacuum acts in an engine in use. Idle-high vac, under load-low vac, cruisin speed-back to high vac.

Nubby55 08-20-2012 09:13 PM

+2

DILLIGAF 08-20-2012 09:47 PM

One of my mechanic has a gizmo that blowes smoke thru the vacume lines, it makes it very easy to find the leak.

90DesertTanYJ 08-21-2012 06:54 AM

Oh and your not missing any small animals are you?? Just had to say it!