Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   trouble starting in cold weather....please help. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/trouble-starting-in-cold-weather-please-help-38412.html)

dbaer237 10-21-2009 08:49 AM

trouble starting in cold weather....please help.
 
i have a 95 jeep wrangler and when it is cold it takes a couple minutes of cranking the motor over to start it. I brought it to a shop and they said it was the fuel pump and pulgs and wires, I replaced all of that and the problem remians. If I turn my key to the on position and wait for the fuel pump to begin pumping the check engine light comes on and then my jeep starts usally first try when pumping the gas pedal. I have no idea what the problem is and any advice will be greatly appercaited. thank you.

lonepunker 10-21-2009 01:21 PM

is it fuel injected?

Vaultzz 10-22-2009 01:09 AM

That happened to me but 10 times worse:banghead:

It was about 30 degrees at 3am (leaving work:() the engine simply wouldn't keep itself running, not even for a second, it took 15 minutes of almost constant starter use to get it to idle around 550rpm with the peddle fully down. Then after that it took 5 minutes until it was idling properly .

Long story short, I'm afraid of attempting to take it out after a snow storm.

I think it might be your fuel pump, or the fuel lines freezing up. Something related to fuel. I'm going to get my fuel pump checked out as soon as possible:D

(if i park it on a hill, nose facing up the hill, i encounter the same issues though not nearly as bad)

NAVYCHIEF 10-22-2009 01:15 AM

try a fuel system dryer. you may have some water in the fuel.

plac 10-22-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaultzz (Post 465595)
It was about 30 degrees at 3am (leaving work:() the engine simply wouldn't keep itself running, not even for a second, it took 15 minutes of almost constant starter use to get it to idle around 550rpm with the peddle fully down. Then after that it took 5 minutes until it was idling properly .

thats a battery to me. 30F is cold. and my car would just die out of thin air when i drove in snow once. same idea.

NAVYCHIEF 10-22-2009 11:13 AM

i think after 15 mins of cranking the battery would be dead and would never start the engine. especially at 30 degrees. heated dip stick?

kaycee83 10-22-2009 11:19 AM

My YJ is the exact same way. I have to keep cranking it over to get it to start and it also cranks very slow. It always starts but this was only in 40 degree weather, leaves me wondering if it'll even start when it gets colder. Everything you just said and basically everything you could replace, including the fuel pump has been replaced on mine. Still no better starting in cold weather. I had my battery tested about a week ago and it tests fine. I wish I had a garage!

maxjlone 10-23-2009 03:12 AM

It happens especially when its subzero temps. Im here in ND and im starting my breeze in 10-20 below temp just fine but with the whining noise. The whining noise comes from not changing the fluid ever. You need to flush and change the ps fluid to fix the problem.

andrew2456 10-23-2009 05:24 AM

I'm in the same boat with that I'v done it all! I guess it's just the nature or the beast.

Vaultzz 10-23-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plac (Post 465803)
thats a battery to me. 30F is cold. and my car would just die out of thin air when i drove in snow once. same idea.

Well, the starter didn't seem like it was "slowing" or loosing power during the starting attempts. and it sounded the same as a regular start.

And if yours would just die randomly hen thats the alternator. While the vehicle is running disconnect the battery. If it keeps running then your fine, if it shuts off then the alternator isn't creating enough power to recharge he battery let alone run sparkplugs while idling long

plac 10-23-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaultzz (Post 467455)
Well, the starter didn't seem like it was "slowing" or loosing power during the starting attempts. and it sounded the same as a regular start.

And if yours would just die randomly hen thats the alternator. While the vehicle is running disconnect the battery. If it keeps running then your fine, if it shuts off then the alternator isn't creating enough power to recharge he battery let alone run sparkplugs while idling long

that was a 77 celica in 1993, but i appreciate the tips.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.