Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Glad to know that I'm not going crazy! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/glad-to-know-that-im-not-going-crazy-38488.html)

Jp90Talon 10-22-2009 12:46 PM

Glad to know that I'm not going crazy!

Well at least crazier.

Ever since my trip up to Vt last weekend my jeep just hasn't felt quite right. Kinda felt loose and floaty. I just figured it was all in my head. Well today I took a second to look in the wheel wells and found the culprit. Somehow I managed to snap the passenger side sway bar link. The ball just popped right out of the joint. No clue when this could have happen. There is def a noticable dif driving highway speeds and corners with it off.

I'm not overly concerned since I already have a set of JKS quicker discos sitting in my living room waiting to go on. I am just glad I wasn't going nuts!

jdhallissey 10-22-2009 12:50 PM

haha you own a jeep your going nuts. To be honest I took my sway bar out on my 97. Doesn't bother me one bit.

4point 10-22-2009 12:51 PM

It really makes a difference in the way it handles. I drive twisty mountain roads every day and when I play lazy at the end of trail and don't reconnect the links it makes for a tippy ride.

Jp90Talon 10-22-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdhallissey (Post 465989)
haha you own a jeep your going nuts. To be honest I took my sway bar out on my 97. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I drive >100 miles a day and much is windy backroads and highway. There is enough a diference that you get a little nervous when it feels like you are going to tip or bounce around.

nicolas-eric 10-22-2009 01:07 PM

Without the front swaybar itīs dangerous IMO. Especially at higher stpeeds +60 mph.

jdhallissey 10-22-2009 01:09 PM

I have gotten it up to 75 and it was stable. I normally don't go much above 60 anyways. I have never felt a problem with it.
Ohh I drive it in windy conditions-- Chicago. My butt hole pucker comes on a lot later then most while driving. Maybe with the 4.0l and the torque of the motor make it feel much worse. I can rev the 2.5l to the moon and the truck doesn't even rock.

nicolas-eric 10-22-2009 01:21 PM

If you hav eto get out of the way of something in an emergency your Jeep will roll because of the missing sway bar.

jdhallissey 10-22-2009 01:35 PM

^ already the emergency stop while swerving to miss a lady who cut in-front of me. Truck did alright but again I don't have the speed limits you have or the rest of the country either. IL well most of it is 50 or 55.

Jp90Talon 10-22-2009 01:40 PM

Funny you mention that. I was just on the highway and nearly had to lock up my brakes due to an idiot in a mini cooper not paying attention in a construction zone. I was only going 55-60 and on a slight turn. When I hit the brakes the jeep started rocking like hell. It felt pretty hairy. This could also be do to the fact that I only have 1 sway bar attached and the other essentially gone.

jdhallissey 10-22-2009 01:42 PM

^ that is why I took mine completely off. I had one side broken and the other not broken. Felt really weird. The sway bar actually shifted all the way to one side and the bushings went bad. So I just took the entire assembly off. Felt much better after that and doesn't bother me.

nicolas-eric 10-22-2009 01:59 PM

@ jdhallissey:

Pleas re-install your sway bar and some discos and live a long and safe life.

With 2" lift and 32s it was still ok without the swaybar. But now with 5" and 2" BL and 35s it handles really bad without it.

ExDementia 10-22-2009 03:58 PM

Agreed^ I had my swaybars for a few weeks because I lost a bolt :banghead:

I had to swerve out of the way when a civic came into my lane on the freeway, it was the scariest thing I've done so far. It really freaked me out, and made me realize just how much a crash at 70 would suck... I kept picturing my arm going out the large window of a half door and getting trapped under the jeep as it rolled.

To me its not worth it just because I was too lazy to go to home depot and get a new bolt.:wavey:

I mean jesus, my jeep wavers around in my lane when I pass a semi...

csamn2007 10-22-2009 07:39 PM

I heard you can take off your trackbar and be ok is this true?

Sb5551 10-22-2009 07:45 PM

No No, Do not do that.

That will cause serious damage because there will be nothing to stop the axle from going back and forth. If you go to a tri-link suspension setup you can remove it, but not on a stock suspension setup.

csamn2007 10-22-2009 07:46 PM

Ok good, i didnt plan on it. Just one of those things i heard. Im going to buy myself an adjustable trackbar.

Sb5551 10-22-2009 07:48 PM

Wow, you responded really quick.