Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   couple questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/couple-questions-3859.html)

mrbigjeep 11-09-2006 11:37 PM

couple questions
 
alright i decided that im gonna go with the rustys 2" coil lift. heard good things and its good price.

alright will my stock brake lines be long enough for me to flex this thing to the max?

and can i add a spacer to the front to level the jeep out without getting vibrations? i read in a mag that "we were a little nervous about putting 2.5 inches of lift to the rear of our TJ without a transfer case drop" ...OK they said to the REAR...does that mean i can add a spacer to the FRONT without any increase in vibrations since the rear DS is the one that will be suffering.

alright for tools all i need is torx, floor jack, jack stands, socket/ratchet/combination wrench (in other words a tool set)
any other tools i'll need?

i was readin a write up for this kit and it says don't over extend the brake lines when dropping the axle. so where are the brake lines? i need to know so i can be checking them to make sure i don't over extend

do i have to get an alignment after i lift the jeep?

and last question. i notice this kit doesn't come with new bumpstops or bumpstop extensions...do i need them???

thanks a lot guys. im orderin the kit tomorow.

jeeperman 11-10-2006 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeep
alright i decided that im gonna go with the rustys 2" coil lift. heard good things and its good price.

alright will my stock brake lines be long enough for me to flex this thing to the max?

and can i add a spacer to the front to level the jeep out without getting vibrations? i read in a mag that "we were a little nervous about putting 2.5 inches of lift to the rear of our TJ without a transfer case drop" ...OK they said to the REAR...does that mean i can add a spacer to the FRONT without any increase in vibrations since the rear DS is the one that will be suffering.

alright for tools all i need is torx, floor jack, jack stands, socket/ratchet/combination wrench (in other words a tool set)
any other tools i'll need?

i was readin a write up for this kit and it says don't over extend the brake lines when dropping the axle. so where are the brake lines? i need to know so i can be checking them to make sure i don't over extend

do i have to get an alignment after i lift the jeep?

and last question. i notice this kit doesn't come with new bumpstops or bumpstop extensions...do i need them???

thanks a lot guys. im orderin the kit tomorow.

I thought you already had a 3" Rough Country lift... Oh well...

Don't know about your brakelines, the kit probably comes with a relocation bracket for the front brake lines, if not it's probably not neccesary, but you should keep an eye on it off-road the first couple times to make sure.

Why do you need a spacer in front to level your Jeep? If it is not level, then putting a spacer in shouldn't create driveline vibrations.

Sounds like you have most of the tools covered. There shouldn't be any specialty tools for this install.

You will see the brakelines when you start working on your Jeep. They will be the rubber hoses that run from the frame to the axles (one on each side in the front, and just one on the driver's side in the rear).

You should get an alignment after you install the lift.

With 2" of lift, you shouldn't need longer bumpstops unless your tires are rubbing on the fenders. Then you can get extended ones to stop that problem.

Good luck!

mrbigjeep 11-10-2006 07:05 AM

wow thanks a lot! lol nah i don't have a 3" RC lift. i hope an alignment isn't too expensive.

jeeperman 11-10-2006 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeep
wow thanks a lot! lol nah i don't have a 3" RC lift. i hope an alignment isn't too expensive.

Alignment should be around $50-$60.

mrbigjeep 11-10-2006 07:28 AM

alright great! that is what i thought...any idea how long it will take?

kingvm 11-10-2006 08:57 AM

I have the Rusty's 2" kit and I used 3/4" spacers in front to level it out.

I did have to drop the tcase with about 5 washers to eliminate the vibrations but that is jeep dependent so don't worry about that until after you do the install.

It took me and my son-in-law about 3 hours to do the install.

You will have to do an alignment but just use this link and do it your self. The toe is the only thing that is adjustable on a TJ.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/align/align-1.htm

Here is a picture of the setup with 31" tires.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...10002Small.jpg

Good luck with the install.

4Jeepn 11-10-2006 09:58 AM

Your stock brake lines are fine with upto 4" of lift. I ran the rusty's 3" on my 01 and it was nice. I did the t-case drop and only had minor vibs. As I recall the hardest part of that install was getting the rear track-bar back in to the frame mount side. Other than that not to bad.

Triple88a 11-11-2006 01:22 AM

I my self am thinking of the 4" rough country lift.. is it the same or do i need any extra stuff?

MR.CLIFFORD 11-11-2006 08:16 AM

I'm going to have to go against the norm in this thread. Your brake lines are not dependent on lift height. Rather how much droop you have so that resorts back to which shocks you are using. I disagree that a shock long enough to run a 4" lift spring will keep your brake lines in decent shape. You need to flex it out and turn lock to lock to be sure there is absolutely no binding. If you have any tension in the line you need to either replace it or move the hard line down on the frame which takes a drill and drill bit. :)

4Jeepn 11-11-2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.CLIFFORD
I'm going to have to go against the norm in this thread. Your brake lines are not dependent on lift height. Rather how much droop you have so that resorts back to which shocks you are using. I disagree that a shock long enough to run a 4" lift spring will keep your brake lines in decent shape. You need to flex it out and turn lock to lock to be sure there is absolutely no binding. If you have any tension in the line you need to either replace it or move the hard line down on the frame which takes a drill and drill bit. :)

Warning you have gone against the thread.. and provided some excellant advice.:)

mrbigjeep 11-11-2006 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a
I my self am thinking of the 4" rough country lift.. is it the same or do i need any extra stuff?

hey thanks highjacker :)

you will definitely want cv driveshaft and sye and there is a lot more crap to install

mrbigjeep 11-11-2006 03:38 PM

i'll be using the shocks that come with the lift so they won't have excessive droop or travel so i should be fine with the brake lines. i had heard i would be fine but i guess i got paranoid. anyway lift ORDERED! :D thanks guys!
by the way i found out that my friend whos helpin me install it not only has all the hand tools i need but he even has a lift at his dads shop so we won't have to deal with floorjacks or jackstands! and the only tool i might have to buy is a torx head! :D
i'll let ya know when i receive it and install it. by the way i got a quote for an alignment and it is only $50. not bad at all and it is not far from me either.

Scout 11-11-2006 03:48 PM

Look out world! Bigjeeps getting BIGGER!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.