Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   couple of questions please help!!!!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/couple-of-questions-please-help-38590.html)

defalco 10-23-2009 09:47 PM

couple of questions please help!!!!!!

I am looking at buying a 2000 Sahara. I will be in cold weather and high altitudes for most of the winter. Do I need to do anything to help with starting or running? Some advice in general or should I just not buy it?

s3nt3nc3d 10-23-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defalco (Post 467442)
I am looking at buying a 2000 Sahara. I will be in cold weather and high altitudes for most of the winter. Do I need to do anything to help with starting or running? Some advice in general or should I just not buy it?

Off the bat, what will probably help if it's not already equipped...a good quality battery with a lot of cold cranking amps...an engine block heater...you'll also want to make sure the fluids you're running are designed for use in that temperature range.

As far as being in the higher altitudes...I'm not sure. Not a vehicle expert...but I think the computers are designed to adjust the air/fuel ratio regardless of altitude (unlike older vehicles where you had to manually adjust the carbs). You may need to reset the computer...or it'll eventually adjust on its own. I'm sure some of the owners with personal experience will also chime in with some better advice.

specbill 10-23-2009 10:09 PM

Buy it!
Use the lowest viscosity oils your owner's manual recommends and +1 on a quality battery with max cranking amps. Enjoy the ride!

birdhunter 10-23-2009 10:39 PM

Last winter I lived in Northern Wis
parked my jeep outside all winter
I have a 94 with orig alt and a 4 year old
battery and it never let me down.
Make sure your fluids are right
and if it sits when its really cold -0
drive it every few days
a block heater not a bad idea but
I have never needed one
back in the day around here most cars came with one
in their cold weather pkg

s3nt3nc3d 10-23-2009 10:46 PM

Yeah, the block heater isn't crucial...just helps a little. I do highly recommend a good battery though. As soon as that battery starts to get weak, it could easily leave you stranded until you jump it. Shoot, the batteries in our big tractors at work won't even turn the engines over if they've sat for a few hours in 10-20*F temperatures. lol

birdhunter 10-23-2009 11:36 PM

I totally agree on the battery
I have a jumper box just in case
anything doesnt start
I never have bought a battery till
it died but that just me
usually you can get a jump or two before replacement
I can always get a ride to a farm and fleet
if need be

Reise ” FearŠin 10-24-2009 08:24 AM

If it is really cold, also in wind driven areas, park with your back to the wind, heavy equipment run a common plug that is an oil heater and a battery tender. Keeps the battery charged and has a small sleeve to keep the batteries warm. It would be simple to hook something like that up if you needed it.

alstjruby03 11-01-2009 10:19 AM

ya battery mine died yesterday no warning. org battery.just would not start.6 years not bad though.