Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Torque wrench suggestions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/torque-wrench-suggestions-38806.html)

adkjoe 10-27-2009 01:04 PM

Torque wrench suggestions

I'm in the market for a new torque wrench, Loaned mine out a little while back and now it's broke. It was an old craftsman. I need a suggestion on a good quality torque wrench. I use it mainly for diff cover, lug nuts, need it for pinion seals at the moment etc... I know I'm going to get 20 different opinions but I need a good quality all around wrench.

yj-genral 10-27-2009 01:13 PM

i just bought one from advance auto parts, dont use it for too many things like yourself, but good to have when needed.

i think i paid about $30 for it.

i would think that a new craftsman would be just fine for what you need.

Schmo 10-27-2009 01:17 PM

I thought with Craftsman, you had a lifetime warranty on most things like that . . . won't Sears hook you up with a new one?

05GT-O.C.D. 10-27-2009 01:19 PM

FWIW - I greatly prefer the beam type over the click type. I like being able to see the torque being applied, know when I'm close, and be sure not to miss a 'click' and snap a head bolt. Been there, done that.

adkjoe 10-27-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmo (Post 470509)
I thought with Craftsman, you had a lifetime warranty on most things like that . . . won't Sears hook you up with a new one?

"Limited" lifetime warranty, doesn't cover using it as a prybar and bending it :)

Need some links or pics!! I looked at autozone and they only had 1 cheapo that was the size of my leg.

ExDementia 10-27-2009 01:49 PM

In my experience sears doesn't ask questions, they just replace. I don't think it would be unreasonable to try.

Schmo 10-27-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExDementia (Post 470531)
In my experience sears doesn't ask questions, they just replace. I don't think it would be unreasonable to try.

x2 . . . don't volunteer the info :D

adkjoe 10-27-2009 05:51 PM

Don't worry I wont :)

I'll give it a try but I wanted one thats a little smaller anyway one that I can get in small/hard places.

adkjoe 10-28-2009 07:53 AM

No suggestions besides bring it back to sears huh? I'm going to try that today but I kind of want another to have around, people like to borrow my stuff for some reason I would like to get a nice one for myself and another craftsman to have for loan etc...

yjwes 10-28-2009 10:55 AM

imo the best torque wrench on the market thay make them in 3/8 to SNAP ON TQFR250E TORQUE WRENCH:eBay Motors (item 180423699298 end time Oct-30-09 11:48:48 PDT)

Scout 10-28-2009 10:57 AM

I have two Craftsman torque wrenches and they seem to do the job just fine. I picked up a 1/2 and a 3/8" drive in the clicking variety. IIRC they were around $ 100.00 each.

Schmo 10-28-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkjoe (Post 471522)
No suggestions besides bring it back to sears huh? I'm going to try that today but I kind of want another to have around, people like to borrow my stuff for some reason I would like to get a nice one for myself and another craftsman to have for loan etc...

Wow...you're cooler than me for sure...I'd have the Craftsman for me and at best a Harbor Freight Special as a loner!!!

adkjoe 10-28-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmo (Post 471656)
Wow...you're cooler than me for sure...I'd have the Craftsman for me and at best a Harbor Freight Special as a loner!!!

Yea....I'm the cat's meow :)

No harbor freight up here :(

mudslinger150 10-29-2009 12:35 PM

Stop the snap-on truck! while i was at landair i purchased $1000's of dollars worth of snap on and blue point tools. I have a 1/4" inch lbs torque and a 3/8" ft lbs torque, they are pricey but covered no matter what. you can get a good used 3/8" drive for around $80-125. and if the used one breaks they'll repair it

Jeepmanj20 11-02-2009 03:59 PM

Sears wont replace it. Craftsman click-style torque wrenches only have a 1 year warranty. The beam type have the full warranty. I work in the sears tool dept BTW

mrcarcrazy 11-02-2009 04:08 PM

Lowes brand.

Its the same manufacturer as Snap on. and its much cheaper. I hear nothing but greatness about it.

Craftsman torque wrenches are very good based on write ups I've seen in the past. Actually the last write-up I read actually favored a HF torque wrench to the Craftsman.

I think its Kobalt (the lowes brand I speak of)

Scout 11-02-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy (Post 477398)
Lowes brand.

Its the same manufacturer as Snap on. and its much cheaper. I hear nothing but greatness about it.

Craftsman torque wrenches are very good based on write ups I've seen in the past. Actually the last write-up I read actually favored a HF torque wrench to the Craftsman.

I didn't know that! :punk:

adkjoe 11-03-2009 06:37 AM

I was thinking of trying lowes I might stop there tonight.

O BTW...went to sears, that's a no go, jeepmans right, 1 year warranty, they just laughed at me.

mudslinger150 11-03-2009 09:01 AM

kobalt cant really say they are made by "snap on". nor is the quality even close to being the same. a very different metal is used and the process is much different with making these tools.

Of all the kobalt tools at LOWE'S only 7 types of tools are made entirely in the USAThe rest are either made with parts from other country's or made in china.
The air compressors are made in the USA with the motors coming from Mexico.
Two screwdriver sets are made entirely in the us
The 3rd set labeled "professional" is made in china.
all their power tools are made in china (except the air compressor)
all the mechanic associated tools like jack stands, ATV lifts, bottle jacks and the 3 ton jack combo.
rolling tool chests are made in USA. as are the mechanics tools like the socket sets and wrenches.
the "locking pliers and all other kinds of pliers are made in china.

You get what you pay for in the world of tools!

adkjoe 11-03-2009 09:44 AM

Mitch where do you suggest getting snap on tools in our area than? I have a few snap on things and they have never let me down so why not.

mudslinger150 11-03-2009 10:45 AM

i can give you my old reps # and you can see what he can do for you, hes a good guy and i think he has all over essex and colchester, he should be able to stop into your work with his truck so you can pick up some things.

worth a try, ill PM you his info.

yjwes 11-03-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy (Post 477398)
Lowes brand.

snap on makes there own torque wrenches

mrcarcrazy 11-03-2009 11:19 AM

KOBALT is manufactured by J.H. Williams, a division of Snap-On Incorporated. At least this was the case in 2002...dunno bout now.

At one point in time its been said all over the place that CDI actually made the torque wrenches for Snap-on...CDI made torque wrenches for some other brands as well...Kobalt was listed as one of them.

Scout 11-03-2009 11:32 AM

I dug this up via Google:

Tool Facts

adkjoe 11-03-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scout (Post 478042)
I dug this up via Google:

Tool Facts

From the website Scout found

"Lowes now is selling a line of Mechanics Tools called Kobalt which is made by Snap-On. They are good tools."

Scout 11-03-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkjoe (Post 478044)
From the website Scout found

"Lowes now is selling a line of Mechanics Tools called Kobalt which is made by Snap-On. SThey are good tools."

Also at the bottom of that link:

Quote:

Addendum
I received the following info from Dan Peronto a Tool Designer for Snap-on Tools at the Kenosha Mfg Plant:
To: "John T. Blair"
Subject: Hand tools
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:44:50 -0500
I just wanted to add my 2 cents. Well a nickel really, considering that I work for Snap-on and we over charge for everything :>)
I was reading on your site about 'who makes what tools' Team.Net One part explains that the various manufactures use 'the exact same forgings' for all the various brands they sell. This is NOT true for Snap-on tools. Our retail brand Kobalt sold through Lowe's stores, shares very little if any traits with our traditional Snap-on line. They are made in the same plants, but most of the manufacturing tooling is different. They are made by the same UNION skilled machinists using the same tried and true processes. The designs for these tools are completely different. They use different material and are heat treated differently.

I hope this clears things up slightly
Dan Peronto
Tool Designer
Snap-on Tools
Kenosha Mfg Plant

05GT-O.C.D. 11-03-2009 11:38 AM

That info is all from 2000, and I think that it is no longer accurate as of 2003.

Either way - Kobalt still makes some good tools that I've been happy with.

mrcarcrazy 11-03-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D. (Post 478049)
That info is all from 2000, and I think that it is no longer accurate as of 2003.

Either way - Kobalt still makes some good tools that I've been happy with.

That's where I'm curious. ALl the info is old now. (damn should have bought one of the Kobalt sets back then.) So the real question is who makes what NOW?

I found somewhere just now that said Lowes and Snap on no longer have a relationship since lowes wanted to sell "SNAP-ON" branded tools, snap-on said "no" and then it declined from there. (it was a mustang site, if you want to search you can. I feel lazy now....too busy to search it up again.)

adkjoe 11-03-2009 11:54 AM

didn't read all the way to the bottom but thanks scout, sounds like mudslinger was right about the forging and such.

mrcarcrazy 11-03-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkjoe (Post 478057)
didn't read all the way to the bottom but thanks scout, sounds like mudslinger was right about the forging and such.

Not a big deal considering price difference.

I've broken a tool from every manufacturer back when I was wrenching for a living. (this was back when Kobalt was apparently being made by Snap-on)

I don't put a lot of faith in "well you see its a lot stronger b/c its forged differently"...since I've been able to break them all.