Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Shifter issues w/body lift (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/shifter-issues-w-body-lift-38900.html)

nmdriver 10-28-2009 08:33 PM

Shifter issues w/body lift

Recently bought my TJ and the rig came with 33" tires and a 3" body lift.

I am having some trouble getting the shifter to go into reverse. 2nd is also hard and I think the deal is that the shifter hits the console and the transmission does not engage because the shifter cannot fully go into the gear.

This makes sense to me because when I took out the console it shifted just fine. Does anybody make a extended shifter? My other thought is to notch the console but that might be tricky with the boot mounting like it should.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

brokejeep 10-28-2009 08:58 PM

is yours a 5 or 6 speed?

jdub2k5 10-28-2009 09:13 PM

heres how mine looks, I cant use a boot so I just have a hole
mine hits but is not a problem
ignore the gestures its a personal reminder when I was taking pics

1 no rub

2 touches the console
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...r/DSC04019.jpg

3 no rub
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...r/DSC04020.jpg

4 rubs

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...r/DSC04021.jpg

5 no rub
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...r/DSC04022.jpg

R rubs
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...r/DSC04023.jpg

distortedtj 10-28-2009 09:18 PM

First and easiest step is to remove the foam padding from the shifter rod.

Second is to trim the consul.

And or move the consul back.

nmdriver 10-28-2009 10:05 PM

I will remove the foam but I think it will still hit.

It is a 5 speed.

Maybe it would be best to trim the console...just wondering if anybody has heard of a extended shifter. It seems like the problem is that the shifter is straight and then it curves. W/the BL, the shifter needs a long straight area.

I would like to keep the boot on.

jdub2k5 10-28-2009 10:10 PM

the problem is you can't keep the boot on

nmdriver 10-28-2009 10:15 PM

Even if I cut the console?

jdub2k5 10-28-2009 10:22 PM

my brother said he had to remove the boot on his, the only thing he found was to custom make one at a fabric shop

which I am going to do the same and try to rivet it or something to the sides

distortedtj 10-28-2009 10:24 PM

You can keep the boot on. Several ways to address the issue.

The consul can be moved back and repositioned.

jdub2k5 10-28-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 472336)
You can keep the boot on. Several ways to address the issue.

The consul can be moved back and repositioned.

if the console is moved back the front will rub, if moved forward the back will rub

distortedtj 10-28-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdub2k5 (Post 472363)
if the console is moved back the front will rub, if moved forward the back will rub

Are you sure? Never had an issue with the ones I've moved back for people.

nmdriver 10-28-2009 10:37 PM

distorted, how did you move the console back? Did you make tabs that offset everything by like an inch? Is it more of a hassle then just cutting or vice versa?

distortedtj 10-28-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmdriver (Post 472379)
distorted, how did you move the console back? Did you make tabs that offset everything by like an inch? Is it more of a hassle then just cutting or vice versa?

Done it a few ways. Depending on what the owner wanted.

Moved the factory brackets back on the tub.
Drill new mounts.
Made 1'4 extensions for the factory mounts.

Easy??? Well It does take some time. But anything can be done.

Easiest ...Remove the foam and trim the counsul.

distortedtj 10-28-2009 10:44 PM

Also "some" can get away with just removing the foam on the shifter rod.

There are also other alternatives. Remove the foam and use an aftermarket boot as mentioned by "jdub2k5". May or may=not have to trim the consul.

jdub2k5 10-28-2009 10:46 PM

I guess what distorted tj said will work, thats a lot of work I would just trim it and get a rugged shift boot with some rivets

thanks distorted for the information, if I get time this winter I will try to tinker with it

jeeeeeper 10-29-2009 09:03 AM

Have an 05 Rubicon same problem. My first step (this weekend) will be putting the shifter in all gears and mesure the clearance at the front and the back. If I have room to move my console I am. Even if it's only half an inch. I think Rough country has a spacer for the bottom of the shifter (part#3700) if I remember correctly. But I rather save the money for other things. I will post a good thread with pics when I'm done.

nmdriver 10-29-2009 09:23 AM

Thanks Jeeeeper, let me know what you decide.

The shifter does work for me without the boot and with the foam so my first step this weekend is to remove the foam and wrap down the boot and see how that works.

If that doesn't work I think I will cut the console. I'll wait until I hear back from you though :)

brokejeep 10-29-2009 07:51 PM

i put a 3'' body lift on my 06 6 speed & my kit came with the shifter relocater for a 5 speed & 6 speed. there is a difference in the shape of the stem that comes off the transmission between the 5 speed & 6 speed

Oldfart 10-29-2009 08:19 PM

There are a couple ways to fix this. I read that one way is to knotch the console and the other is to remove the shifter and bend it up a bit. Not too much. You don't want to hit the dash in 1st and 3rd. Just a little bend will make it work nice.:punk:

palehawaiian 10-29-2009 08:48 PM

I had a freind who solved his by notching the shifter were it hits that way retaining the factory console and boot

boomer27127 10-31-2009 12:20 PM

I havnet seen this in person so I dont know how bad it is but couldnt you just take the shifter off put it in a vise and us a big cheater bar to kinda take some of the bend out of it so it wouldnt hit in the lower gears and still clear in the upper gears? I put a 1" bl on my jeep and it had a tc drop at the same time and it hit. so I just bent it to get everyting to clear but after I got rid of the tc drop I had to bend the shifter back to how it was before.

Schmo 10-31-2009 12:47 PM

Seems like a lot of tinkering to get something to work that shouldn't really be on your TJ in the first place. Why not just ditch the 3" BL and go with a 1" BL and a 2" Spacer Lift . . . would probably take you about the same amount of time, won't set you back but a couple Benjamins . . . your Jeep will perform better, look a hell of a lot better, and will be safer too. And the icing on the cake . . . you won't have guys pointing and snickering when they see that god-aweful 3" BL.

Sorry somebody had to say it:flipoff:

oldman 10-31-2009 07:06 PM

u need a small shaft piece to lift the shifter up a few inches. i have a 3 inch body lift and i had a small shaft that went on the shaft. it was welded

Jerry Bransford 10-31-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmo (Post 475832)
Seems like a lot of tinkering to get something to work that shouldn't really be on your TJ in the first place. Why not just ditch the 3" BL and go with a 1" BL and a 2" Spacer Lift . . . would probably take you about the same amount of time, won't set you back but a couple Benjamins . . . your Jeep will perform better, look a hell of a lot better, and will be safer too. And the icing on the cake . . . you won't have guys pointing and snickering when they see that god-aweful 3" BL.

Sorry somebody had to say it:flipoff:

X2. If I bought a TJ that had a 3" body lift, it'd be gone by the end of the first weekend. :)

Exl2392 10-31-2009 11:11 PM

I also bought a tj with a 3" BL . Same problems , broughtto shop and they bent the shifter down, the console was already moved back an inch, and custom interior boot had to be made due to hot heat coming through floorboard. The shop bent shifter and extended it and it made a huge difference. Also, when I take off the shifter boot it shifts a whole lot easier, it's the thickness of the boot where it "snaps" in that gets in my way.. Still trying to figure out an aftermarket boot without the "thickness"

nmdriver 11-01-2009 12:44 AM

Well, removed the styrafoam on the shifter and it helped but still not right.

Schmo, honestly that is a good thought. I don't really like BL's.

How hard would it be to remove the bl?

Think it would be best to put a 1" BL (Since I need to put some mounts on anyway when I take off the 3")?

Also someday I think it would be cool to put on 35's. I wonder if a 1" BL and a 4" susp lift would work good or if I could squeak by with a 1" BL and a 2.5/3" susp lift...

RobinHood 11-01-2009 05:49 AM

i don't have a body lift, but after installing my 2.5 inch OME suspension lift incl. tc drop i had the same problem: the reverse gear of my 6-speed (2006) just wouldn't go in all the way without pushing it back with brutal force. the noise of the not-quite-engaged gear was awful when accidentally hitting the gas too early. ouch.

removing the boot and the plastic shifter bezel solved the gear-problem, but having no boot was really no option for me. so all i did is trim the plastic shifter bezel by something like 0.5 inches and it works absolutely fine since. there's unnecessary plastic on the lower (or front) part of that bezel. just cut it out nicely and you're done, it all looks nice and clean like factory. i'll post a picture when i get a chance.

Jerry Bransford 11-01-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmdriver (Post 476245)
Also someday I think it would be cool to put on 35's. I wonder if a 1" BL and a 4" susp lift would work good ...

That would work well for 35" tires, nothing smaller than that. Keep in mind a Dana 35c in the rear isn't really strong enough for 35" tires and you'll want to regear both axles to a lower ratio for the bigger tires. :)

nmdriver 11-01-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 476422)
That would work well for 35" tires, nothing smaller than that. Keep in mind a Dana 35c in the rear isn't really strong enough for 35" tires and you'll want to regear both axles to a lower ratio for the bigger tires. :)

Yea, that is a good point with the axle. I do have 4.56 gears so i think I would be good with the 35" tire.

I am kind of at a loss. Part of me wants to ditch the BL and just throw a good susp lift on but it seems like from robinhoods answer I may not be chasing the solution.

I ust don't know!:eek:

jdub2k5 11-01-2009 12:29 PM

ya but you know you want to keep the big lift... I had a chick list night that I had to lift into my car lol