Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   "Creaking Hardtop Panels" (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/creaking-hardtop-panels-39121.html)

ptk 11-02-2009 01:46 PM

"Creaking Hardtop Panels"

Bought a new 2009 4 Door Sahara Hard Top.
Love the vehicle.
Put about 3500 miles on it and noticed a "creaking" noise, internal to the passenger side.
Couldn't find the source.
No obvious signs of anything contacting anything it shouldn't.
Removed the top front roof panels and the noise disappeared.
Put them back on and the noise returned on both sides.
Adjusted the installation process with a few variations, but the noise to some extent is still there.
Anyone else have this issue?
Anyone have a sucessful fix?
Thanks.
PTK

BenDiem 11-02-2009 02:07 PM

^ Can't say that I have, yet.

Do your two hard top screws clamp down to where they no longer turn/tighten?

Just curious?

BB

JeepQuattro 11-02-2009 02:20 PM

^ good suggestion, my screws seem to loosen themselves over time

jk'n 11-02-2009 06:23 PM

I had one fall out on me the other day. Surprised be cause I really crank them down. My top is solid (pun intended). No squeaking.

ptk 11-02-2009 08:58 PM

Everything is tight.
Have done a bunch of combinations.
Tighten the rear first.
Still rattles/creaks.
Tighten the front first.
Still rattles/creaks.
Tighten one side before the other...
You get the drift.
And the rattle/creak is a moving target.
And very annoying.
I'm fairly positive it's in the roof panels.
I'll give it some more effort then it's of to the dealer.
I hate it when I can't fix something on my own.

jk'n 11-02-2009 10:48 PM

Bring a willing passenger along for a ride and have them press on the top in various places to try and get it to stop. Investigate that spot. Maybe plastic on plastic or something out of place. The top is secured in front on the roll bar that holds the speakers on. I think there are two bolts holding it. I would check those to see that they are secure.

DeanLinAZ 11-02-2009 10:59 PM

Here's what I did for my 2007 Sahara hardtop. I took the top sections off and rubbed the rubber seals with a very light coating of petroleum jelly--squeaking noises gone. Still quiet after 4 months.

Try it.

DeanLinAZ

jk'n 11-02-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanLinAZ (Post 477710)
Here's what I did for my 2007 Sahara hardtop. I took the top sections off and rubbed the rubber seals with a very light coating of petroleum jelly--squeaking noises gone. Still quiet after 4 months.

Try it.

DeanLinAZ

I don't know if petroleum jelly is safe on the seals. What about silicon lubricant (not sealant).

ywen 11-03-2009 12:25 PM

Is it just me or is anyone else concerned that with a gentle push or some light greasing, the creak goes away... If the creak can be stopped by such gentle measures, it would seem they will start again else where just as easily.. or no? It doesn't seem like the removable panels and the tubular bars fits together as a very precise unit..

Hilldweller 11-03-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 477722)
I don't know if petroleum jelly is safe on the seals. What about silicon lubricant (not sealant).

I keep mine pliable with silicone goo.
There's also an "anti leak kit" that you can get from the dealer that has a few foam peel/stick thingies at strategic locations that takes up the slack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ywen (Post 478038)
Is it just me or is anyone else concerned that with a gentle push or some light greasing, the creak goes away... If the creak can be stopped by such gentle measures, it would seem they will start again else where just as easily.. or no? It doesn't seem like the removable panels and the tubular bars fits together as a very precise unit..

Much of the JK has an anachronistic quality to it. You either figure out how to deal with those items or you let them drive you crazy until you trade the beast.
Much like myself, it ain't perfect. But we have our endearing qualities. The Jeep can go up steep hills, over boulders, and through streams; I can lift heavy things and am a pretty competent camp chef.
Jeeps (and all vehicles, for that matter) are like a good pair of boots: when you try them on, they either fit and you know it right away ---- or they don't fit. I know that you're still trying to figure out what to buy; it takes complete honesty.
My Jeep is like my dog. I won't get rid of the dog because she chews a chair; I'll try and figure out how to keep her from wanting to do that again.
People love their Jeeps. People love the environment and buy a Prius but they don't ever love that Prius...

ptk 11-03-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 478061)
I keep mine pliable with silicone goo.
There's also an "anti leak kit" that you can get from the dealer that has a few foam peel/stick thingies at strategic locations that takes up the slack.

Much of the JK has an anachronistic quality to it. You either figure out how to deal with those items or you let them drive you crazy until you trade the beast.
Much like myself, it ain't perfect. But we have our endearing qualities. The Jeep can go up steep hills, over boulders, and through streams; I can lift heavy things and am a pretty competent camp chef.
Jeeps (and all vehicles, for that matter) are like a good pair of boots: when you try them on, they either fit and you know it right away ---- or they don't fit. I know that you're still trying to figure out what to buy; it takes complete honesty.
My Jeep is like my dog. I won't get rid of the dog because she chews a chair; I'll try and figure out how to keep her from wanting to do that again.
People love their Jeeps. People love the environment and buy a Prius but they don't ever love that Prius...

Very well put.
I like basic mechanical things.
That's why I bought the Jeep.
Simple and basic.
Sort of.
It has a lot in common with another passion, an old beat up 1971 HD.
The bike like the Jeep has it's moments.
When the planets are in line and the barometric pressure is just right it starts easy and runs like a top.
On other days it runs just OK.
Just like the Jeep.
I'll get the rattle fixed.
It's an issue of man (no sexism intended) vs. machine.
And I'm anxiously looking forward to my next trip into the Black Rock to see what she can really do.

DeanLinAZ 11-03-2009 10:42 PM

jk'n:

I do usually use silicon spray or Aerospace 303 on rubber--seals, tires, etc.

I happened to try the petroleum jelly on a whim, but I think silicon spray would be safer on rubber parts.

Thanks for reminding me--just getting old.

DeanLinAZ

jk'n 11-03-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptk (Post 478085)
Very well put.
I like basic mechanical things.
That's why I bought the Jeep.
Simple and basic.
Sort of.
It has a lot in common with another passion, an old beat up 1971 HD.
The bike like the Jeep has it's moments.
When the planets are in line and the barometric pressure is just right it starts easy and runs like a top.
On other days it runs just OK.
Just like the Jeep.
I'll get the rattle fixed.
It's an issue of man (no sexism intended) vs. machine.
And I'm anxiously looking forward to my next trip into the Black Rock to see what she can really do.

I like that attitude. I also agree with Hilldweller on general Jeep ownership attitude.