Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   waterproofing (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/waterproofing-39157.html)

countryboy19 11-02-2009 09:52 PM

waterproofing

so what had to be done to be able to dive into water? other than a good snorkel.

Vaultzz 11-02-2009 09:53 PM

how deep are you talking?

ExDementia 11-02-2009 10:12 PM

Depending on how deep and for how long you're going to need to put your exhaust up high too. Also relocate your transfer case breathing tube, rear diff, trans, etc. You will really need to RTV seal your snorkel too just to be sure. also you need to waterproof your stock airbox. weather striping will do.

Another good Idea would be an electric fan that you can turn off when you're about to go deep in the water. The stress of that thing trying to turn while completely submerged can't be good and a fan will also bring more water into the engine bay.

Do you have an automatic? They are vented inside the bell housing and WILL let in water.

Are you worried about your cab being waterproof too?

It takes alot of work to do this, you really need to decide if its worth it or not.

countryboy19 11-02-2009 10:39 PM

wow thanks i dont plan on sinking it in a lake or anything hopefully. just like water 3 feet deep. the car is a 07 jeep rubicon

ExDementia 11-02-2009 10:45 PM

If thats the case than a good snorkel is all you should need:)

irontom 11-03-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExDementia (Post 477724)
[...]
Another good Idea would be an electric fan that you can turn off when you're about to go deep in the water.

I think with enough work you could get some propulsion and float the darn thing with this :D

But seriously, I was recently thinking on ways to make the water get out faster after it gets in into the cab, any cool mods there?

countryboy19 11-03-2009 06:34 PM

drill alot of holes!!! find the lowest spot and put a hole there then get a blank pop out cover and cover the hole.

birdhunter 11-03-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryboy19 (Post 477754)
wow thanks i dont plan on sinking it in a lake or anything hopefully. just like water 3 feet deep. the car is a 07 jeep rubicon

Sounds like great fun,but you could
be just asking for trouble
be ready to PAY FOR PLAY

SurfNaked2010 11-07-2009 08:21 PM

i have an auto and what are the problems if water goes into the bell housing like you say? just curious cause you emphasized "WILL"

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExDementia (Post 477724)
Depending on how deep and for how long you're going to need to put your exhaust up high too. Also relocate your transfer case breathing tube, rear diff, trans, etc. You will really need to RTV seal your snorkel too just to be sure. also you need to waterproof your stock airbox. weather striping will do.

Another good Idea would be an electric fan that you can turn off when you're about to go deep in the water. The stress of that thing trying to turn while completely submerged can't be good and a fan will also bring more water into the engine bay.

Do you have an automatic? They are vented inside the bell housing and WILL let in water.

It takes alot of work to do this, you really need to decide if its worth it or not.

yjwes 11-08-2009 01:50 PM

the breather may just be a hole in the bell houseing so if you sink the trans in water it will flood

ExDementia 11-08-2009 02:09 PM

Problems will be trouble shifting at first, some slipping maybe but it will just ruin everything if you let it go. It just ruins the oil in there, turns it into milky crap.