Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Icon's "The Dog" - remake of a flat fender (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/icons-the-dog-remake-of-a-flat-fender-39382.html)

Geoff@Bestop 11-06-2009 04:09 PM

Icon's "The Dog" - remake of a flat fender

5 Attachment(s)
I saw this at SEMA, but thought I'd make a new post about just this vehicle. It's an interesting idea. Icon 4x4 has been making brand new FJ40s for several years now. They're nice, and they're insanely expensive ($95,000 and up).

Now, they're making a brand new CJ3 vehicle. They're calling it "The Dog."

You can read about it here, at Jalopnik.

Still incredibly expensive- something like 50 large or more.

But very, very cool. Basically, a CJ3b body with coils and 4-link suspension, new disc brakes, and a high-powered but lightweight 4 cylinder turbo.

In other words, a brand new, up-to-date vehicle but with the looks of something very old school. A "Full Metal Dash" as someone here once called them.

DougTimme would probably shun me, but I like this. FlatFenders aren't really all that drivable in traffic, and this would be. But I might be very tempted to get a good one and build this myself.

Attachment 12774

Attachment 12775

Attachment 12776

Attachment 12777

Attachment 12778

bmanrkg3 11-06-2009 05:11 PM

Wow, kinda brings it all back to where it began and beyond... I really like the direction... but kinda wish it'd look like a jeep...

schnutzy 11-06-2009 06:47 PM

that is really really nice. i wonder if icon 4x4 would just want to give me one

4Jeepn 11-07-2009 08:51 AM

Lets think about this... you want to sell a jeep like jeep.. so you base your design on what is considered the worst looking CJ ever... awsome marketing!

tjnut 11-07-2009 09:11 AM

ICON makes some very nice product.:D I have always like the look of the FJ40. I have also considered building one from the ground up (CJ3B that is).

Geoff@Bestop 11-07-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 482019)
.. on what is considered the worst looking CJ ever...

4Jeepn - I'd like to introduce you to my friend YJ. YJ, this is 4Jeepn...

DougTimme 11-08-2009 12:43 PM

"DougTimme would probably shun me, but I like this. FlatFenders aren't really all that drivable in traffic, and this would be. But I might be very tempted to get a good one and build this myself. "

I would never shun you Geoff, or anyone for that matter, or this vehicle. I like all kinds of stuff, I actually get shunned a little because my 2A has an F-head in it. Heck, I wont even shun the JKs with 22s. To each his own as far as I am concerned:wavey:
And you are right about flattys on the road. I live off of a very busy road, it is getting more and more difficult to take my 2A out. People jusy do not have the patience for a 60 year old vehicle that only goes 45 mph. My next project will be a CJ based street rod with more modern brakes and such.

Doug

Coyote_94YJ 11-08-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 482241)

What are you trying to say there Geoff??? :p

I think it would look better if it had the vertical openings in the grill.

DougTimme 11-08-2009 01:09 PM

I am sure they cannot do a vertical grille due to trademark issues with Chrysler, however from a design standpoint the horizontal pattern in the grille actually makes the grille appear not as "tall"

Doug

irontom 11-09-2009 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 482241)

YJs might be ugly on the outside, but they are beautiful on the inside. And each time you say such things an YJ dies a bit inside.

mrcarcrazy 11-09-2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irontom (Post 483204)
YJs might be ugly on the outside, but they are beautiful on the inside. And each time you say such things an YJ dies a bit inside.

at least its a "pretty death":rolleyes:

Geoff@Bestop 11-09-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irontom (Post 483204)

Nah. YJ's don't care about my opinion.