Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Prolly! A rant by ccain. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/prolly-a-rant-by-ccain-39671.html)

ccain 11-11-2009 07:12 PM

Prolly! A rant by ccain.

OK... On the heals of Unlimited's "You're vs. Your" thread, I submit to you the following:

Since when did the English language degrade to the point that we've started to shorten words by a few syllables? I'll tell you when! When people who are too lazy to go outside and do something began to become even more lazy than they already were. Yup, it takes a whole lot of effort to type out those extra letters. "Argggg... It's so hard and I don't wanna!" OR "I just don't want put in the effort to look educated because it's hip to sound like I spent all of Junior High in Special Ed".

Please, please tell me that people aren't so incredibly ignorant that they think "prolly" is the same as "probably". All you had to do was pay attention slightly in English class. Hell, they teach English in Special Ed! There is no excuse other than down right laziness either on the web or back in elementary school!
Maybe in Podunk your Pa used to say the word "probably" and because of his missing teeth and 2nd grade (twice) education it came out in it's bastardized form "prolly" and you being the monkey, doing as he sees, just took it and ran.

Sadie Mae: "Youins goin' to the dance tonight?"

Eustace: "Prolly" PTOOOEEEE* (*spits tobacco juice)

Come on people! How freakin' hard is it? You don't even need an education these days because of "spell check" and those little red lines under every misspelled word. I bet there are those who write and have an entire post underlined in red.

Everyday we're reminded to save the whales or stop clubbing baby seals. They remind us that the polar bears are dying, the the earth is warming or that some kid in Ethiopia with a fly on his eyeball is malnourished. I say we start simple!

Help us save the English language!

That's right, for just pennies a day you can give the English language back its dignity and provide it with much needed care. Please help. Through your donation we can secure an educated society speaking and thinking clearly. Education is the foundation of everything. And I'll tell ya what. When you can say and write "PROBABLY", I'll think about saving the whales. OK?

End of rant.

Thank you.

Here's a cute kitten for your trouble:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...aby_kitten.jpg

Coyote_94YJ 11-11-2009 07:28 PM

so im prolly guessin your not in a good mood is this bad time too ask fer some peanut brickle cute kitty is it yours got the mini runnin tday

Geoff@Bestop 11-11-2009 07:37 PM

So you're not a fan of the common vernacular?

How about words like "fan" (too lazy to say fanatic?)

Ever called someone a perp? Get really angry when someone talks about the latest Indie band? How about Aussie?

I'm just trying to access the level of your anger.

ExDementia 11-11-2009 07:40 PM

^^lol (at coyote)

I can't stand it when people type "plox" for please, I mean how the hell did "please" become plox???? I admit that I can be found guilt of a probly or a gonna here or there but some of these are just ridiculous. For some reason I can't think of any more but they bug the @#%$ out of me.

Coyote_94YJ 11-11-2009 07:47 PM

Yes. The thing that gets me is those that don't use punctuation. I find it much harder to read than the misspelled ones. I can tolerate some misspelling but those that don't try....:rolleyes:

stevens243 11-11-2009 08:39 PM

Your prolly a little to angry bout' this...:D

KBR97 11-11-2009 08:48 PM

Prolly gonna have to close this thread..its gettin kinda rowdy in hea

jcf 11-11-2009 09:20 PM

Well.....I prolly' use short words b/c I can fit my text messages in my 190 word limit. I hate using the 'phone, I do however text my son a lot. So it is very easy to get used to shortening when typing also. So there ccain (Mr poopy pants) & yes your kitteh is cute, kitteh being not a real word either....

Prolly' :p

baja 11-11-2009 09:38 PM

Is there a possiblity that someone's up and coming wedding making one edgy?

RatherBNarizona 11-11-2009 10:08 PM

what u talkin bout gurl

05GT-O.C.D. 11-11-2009 10:57 PM

Prolly and dunno don't bother me. I can understand being angry about deliberately being stupid, but typing casually on an internet forum isn't something to get upset about. Lolz, and teh, etc... yeah, those are stupid. By the way, for a lot of us (like me), there is no spell check w/out downloading it onto my computer and I don't get any red lines. So, if there are any misspellings (or mispellings?) here, sorry, but I don't feel like running to dictionary.com to check minor things like that. Term paper, sure that's a different story. Internet post, no biggie.

thewhoissuperb24 11-11-2009 11:38 PM

OMG..(please don't bother me on that one)

It's today's age of cellular phones among teens like me, and some of my friends do this:

ne (any)
no (know and no itself)
k (okay)
fu (**** you)
stfu (shut the you know what)
prolly (probably)
cant, wont, didnt (without punctuation)
mor (more)

It goes on and on..but I put up with it by responding with proper spelling, punctuation and such..T9Word saved my life! LOL

thewhoissuperb24 11-11-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D. (Post 486309)
Prolly and dunno don't bother me. I can understand being angry about deliberately being stupid, but typing casually on an internet forum isn't something to get upset about. Lolz, and teh, etc... yeah, those are stupid. By the way, for a lot of us (like me), there is no spell check w/out downloading it onto my computer and I don't get any red lines. So, if there are any misspellings (or mispellings?) here, sorry, but I don't feel like running to dictionary.com to check minor things like that. Term paper, sure that's a different story. Internet post, no biggie.

Oh yeah..plz and plox? Hello..

Apple Safari has a decent spellchecker. I get used to the red lines. At least you know! :doh:

turdhurdler 11-12-2009 12:02 AM

Hahathisisfunnystuffineverreallyrealizedjusthowbad thespellingcanbebutthelackofpunctuationisevenworse ifyouaskme

Jeff

jerryj 11-12-2009 12:20 AM

mrhurdlerthathurtsmyeyesmabybecauseimalljackedupon peanutbrittle

turdhurdler 11-12-2009 12:27 AM

Hey Jerry J, I was up in Idyllwild today. Did Bee Canyon to Pine Cove. Very silty at the bottom, but wonderful and cool on top. Besides Bee Canyon, any other trails up there?

Sorry for the hijack Chris.

Jeff

tiny terror 11-12-2009 12:28 AM

I'm not an archaeologist and I don't feel like translating hieroglyphs to understand what someone's saying. I think it's a matter of courtesy to attempt to write correctly when others are expected to read one's thoughts.

cavediverjc 11-12-2009 12:59 AM

I'm in total agreement with you Chris. It was my 2009 New Year's resolution to not knock people on the forum for misspellings or grammatical errors. I was getting to be quite the Grammar Nazi. It's been SO hard this year to keep my mouth (or my fingers) shut when I see blatant errors written in the forum threads.

It shows a couple of possibilities:

1. Lack of intelligence.
2. Lack of education.
3. Lack of attention to detail.
4. Any combination of 1-3.

It's NOT hard to look up words if there is any doubt as to how they're spelled. I've got Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online saved to my computer's favorites. I can open a new tab and look up a word without ever leaving the forum. There is NO reason why others can't do the same.

Since my computer screen is how I know most of you people out there, it's how I view you as individuals. Some of you speak (type) intelligently, so I view you as intelligent equals. Some of you speak (type) like 2nd grade retards, so I view you as, well, genetic cul-de-sacs.

And the excuse about being used to texting on your cell.......that doesn't fly. There is no limit on this forum; therefore there is no excuse to shorten your words.

Ok. Rant done. I lasted over 11 months with that New Year's resolution. I'll try to keep quiet about this subject for the remainder of the year.

tiny terror 11-12-2009 01:12 AM

Oh, way to go Cain. See what you did? You ruined Cavey's resolution, now he's got to start all over.

ExDementia 11-12-2009 01:25 AM

I actualy find it way more anoying wen ppl type in all caps wen u mix that with horible spelling/gramer i wont even read the post most of the time if you notice ppl who do this are usualy new to the forum i have a strong hatred towards punctuation and i often spell these words wrong Suspention wedsnday costum and type no when i mean know

Edit: I typed that in all caps, I guess the mods here got sick of that before and did something about it ;)

cavediverjc 11-12-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 486400)
Oh, way to go Cain. See what you did? You ruined Cavey's resolution, now he's got to start all over.

I gave myself a bye since I wasn't singling anyone out. :D

jgano23 11-12-2009 08:34 AM

idk wtf ur prob iz cain. u prolly gotta bug up ur a**. u def need 2 get outta the house. y u so cranky. i mean srsly. ne1 else c that? c ya l8r. mayb ill txt u l8r. :D

j/k. the sad thing is that i got most of those "shortened" words from several text messages that one of my friends sent me. i think *most* people are guilty of doing that to some extent (i almost never use capital letters where i should), but it bothers me when people (like my friend) constantly disregard using proper grammar.

mrcarcrazy 11-12-2009 08:57 AM

90 Attachment(s)
I say as long as its legible, all is fair. Prolly doesn't bother me.

Horrific spelling, no punctuation, using "brakes" when you're referring to "breaks" or vise versa bothers me. as well as choosing the wrong "your, you're", "there, their"...

We all have our kinks. I try not to get stuck on others kinks, b/c I know I'm not perfect...oh wait, yes I am. I know not everyone can be as perfect as me :D

adkjoe 11-12-2009 09:12 AM

^ :rofl:

"i concur wholeheartedly, my african american brother"

that's how I talk too!

jcf 11-12-2009 10:38 AM

Quote cavediverjc: "And the excuse about being used to texting on your cell.......that doesn't fly. There is no limit on this forum; therefore there is no excuse to shorten your words."
I do not make excuses, however I am a slow typer, thats the long & short of it. I type how I type, I am who I am, like it or don't like it,I do not really care. That is all. :wavey:

mudslinger150 11-12-2009 10:42 AM

fo shizzle

whitebuffalo 11-12-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccain (Post 486153)
And I'll tell ya what.

i hate when people use ya instead of you :flipoff::flipoff:

:wavey:

adkjoe 11-12-2009 10:59 AM

people are to uptight, say what you want, type how you want, if other don't like it then don't read it and don't reply...problem solved. It's what happens, we don't wear powdered wigs and wooden teeth anymore, and it's not necessary to spell out whole words to get your point across, if of all things in the world, shortened words bothers you that much than I'm sure the tissue company wouldn't mind taking your money.

mudslinger150 11-12-2009 11:02 AM

^ fo shizzle, yur prolly rite

tiny terror 11-12-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExDementia (Post 486403)
Edit: I typed that in all caps, I guess the mods here got sick of that before and did something about it ;)

The forum software doesn't allow all capitals.