Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/)
-   -   MetalCloak Dual Rate 2.5 vs. RK 2.5 Flex System (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/metalcloak-dual-rate-2-5-vs-rk-2-5-flex-system-398386.html)

MAG00 11-19-2013 05:06 PM

MetalCloak Dual Rate 2.5 vs. RK 2.5 Flex System

If you where in the market for a 2.5" lift, which of these would you choose and why? They seem to be pretty comparable in regards to what component pieces come with them. Main difference I see is that they use different joints and the RK lift has progress springs in the front and linear in the rear and Metalcloak uses progress for both front and rear springs.

Please be specific as to why you would choose either one and to point out other major differences between them.

Thanks.

kjeeper10 11-19-2013 05:13 PM

FYI .. RK is about to release 2.5 triple rate front and rear coils.

Sorry to make the decision harder :)

Daniel_M 11-19-2013 05:46 PM

I am a Rock Krawler guy, personally but MC is great too. I hear great things about the duroflex joint.

-Dan

mckey73 11-19-2013 05:55 PM

After seeing both lifts in person I decided on the MC 2.5" w/ the ARB shocks. The parts and pieces are very high quality and everything bolts right on with no fitment issues. The coating on the MC stuff is pretty neat, I haven't heard of another company doing anything like them.

This question should be asked, how many rates are too many? At what point do you just go to an adjustable coilover system??

Stosh1 11-19-2013 06:44 PM

I wish someone would write an unbiased primer on the basics of a coilover system for us newbies.

MAG00 11-19-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 6242730)
FYI .. RK is about to release 2.5 triple rate front and rear coils.

Sorry to make the decision harder :)

Good to know. Does make the decision harder though.

Although with my JKU being my daily driver and not doing major trails, I'm not so sure I shouldn't just do a cheaper alternative or just run some 285/70/17 tires with maybe some flat fenders.

However, I'm the kind that if I'm going to do it (a lift that is) I'd rather do it "right" the first time. 😀

MAG00 11-19-2013 07:49 PM

Okay....based on kjeeper10's comment about RK coming out with triple rate coils for front and rear....if RK does in fact do this then which lift would you choose and why?

MAG00 11-19-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckey73 (Post 6243722)
After seeing both lifts in person I decided on the MC 2.5" w/ the ARB shocks. The parts and pieces are very high quality and everything bolts right on with no fitment issues. The coating on the MC stuff is pretty neat, I haven't heard of another company doing anything like them.

This question should be asked, how many rates are too many? At what point do you just go to an adjustable coilover system??

How are you liking the MC 2.5 with the ARB shocks? How does it handle on the highway? Thanks.

dmacarth 11-19-2013 08:09 PM

I put the MC with OME shocks on three weeks ago. I like it a lot. It's great on the road and great on the rocks with excellent flex. Everything went together great and seems very high quality. I'd say it's no better or worse than stock on the freeway but it's much better than stock on rough dirt roads.

spinlock 11-19-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stosh1 (Post 6244770)
I wish someone would write an unbiased primer on the basics of a coilover system for us newbies.

Coilover (coils axially integrated with the shocks) or coil springs (traditional stock setup)?

There is a wealth of information in the forum about coils and suspensions. The back and forth discussion is good because then you see the pro and cons as strong or weak as they maybe and then form your own decision.

Coilovers ar pricey and hence are less popular. However, if you they are within in your budget and you actually put them to work they can be outstanding.

spinlock 11-19-2013 09:05 PM

Here is at least one reason to consider for not going with RK:

wranglerforum.com/f202/rock-krawler-joints-seize-up-thread-398722.html

Raiderfan001 11-19-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinlock (Post 6248114)
Here is at least one reason to consider for not going with RK:

wranglerforum.com/f202/rock-krawler-joints-seize-up-thread-398722.html

You mean the thread where RK came through and is currently helping resolve the guy's issue? :rolleyes:

JerryJeepster 11-19-2013 11:34 PM

RK has been a great lift for me and Justin has been there to help along the way. IMO there will always be someone that has a problem with any product. They all have goods and bads.

Imped 11-20-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stosh1 (Post 6244770)

If you need a write up, you don't need them.

To answer the question, Metalcloak.

spinlock 11-20-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 (Post 6250250)
You mean the thread where RK came through and is currently helping resolve the guy's issue? :rolleyes:

Yes, exactly the one where customer support stated everything was included in the lifetime warranty except that parts that matter - those that articulate. And finally after exposing the case they are probably going to do the right thing. I have gotten the same result from TF and AEV on the very first call. In one case, it was my mistake and I just hoped to get a small discount for a replacement part and they shipped me a new part until they inspected the failed one giving me the benefit of the doubt. Maybe RK customer and warranty support is good enough for some that don't mind a few hundred feet of red tape, but there is a lot better service out there for those that expect the best. To each his own.

mckey73 11-20-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAG00 (Post 6246146)
How are you liking the MC 2.5 with the ARB shocks? How does it handle on the highway? Thanks.

Don't have it yet, guess they have a 3 week lead time - give or take. I'll happily wait. The anxiety is killing me!

I'll give you super details as soon as I get it installed, probably gonna be Thanksgiving weekend.

MAG00 11-20-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckey73 (Post 6252034)
Don't have it yet, guess they have a 3 week lead time - give or take. I'll happily wait. The anxiety is killing me!

I'll give you super details as soon as I get it installed, probably gonna be Thanksgiving weekend.

Sounds great. I look forward to see your write up and pics.

Rock Krawler Sus. 11-20-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinlock (Post 6251906)
Yes, exactly the one where customer support stated everything was included in the lifetime warranty except that parts that matter - those that articulate. And finally after exposing the case they are probably going to do the right thing. I have gotten the same result from TF and AEV on the very first call. In one case, it was my mistake and I just hoped to get a small discount for a replacement part and they shipped me a new part until they inspected the failed one giving me the benefit of the doubt. Maybe RK customer and warranty support is good enough for some that don't mind a few hundred feet of red tape, but there is a lot better service out there for those that expect the best. To each his own.

Every company has their policies. Ours always start with digital images unless there is a known issue, then it is simply handled blindly. More often than not, we actually find items that truly help the customer out in a big picture sense. That is always our goal.

RK

Rock Krawler Sus. 11-20-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 6251522)
If you need a write up, you don't need them.

To answer the question, Metalcloak.

Do you have a MC equipped JK? We will gladly wheel or go down the road with you at any point and even swap vehicles for some of it.

RK

OffRoadCam09 11-20-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Sus. (Post 6256522)

Do you have a MC equipped JK? We will gladly wheel or go down the road with you at any point and even swap vehicles for some of it.

RK

Now that's customer service! Lol

HunterTheBeagle 11-20-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

RK

I am really interested in seeing how your triple rates fair. How do you think they will do with towing? I'm figuring they should be pretty good for towing/ a loaded jeep. One of the reasons i have been waiting a little to lift is to see how your 1.5 triple rates work out.

Rock Krawler Sus. 11-20-2013 10:15 AM

We cannot talk about products just yet. We are waiting for autoguide to finish up our sponsorship package for Wrangler Forum. We can only help with Tech and CS. If you would like to give us a shout, give us a shout.

RK

HunterTheBeagle 11-20-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Sus. (Post 6258018)
We cannot talk about products just yet. We are waiting for autoguide to finish up our sponsorship package for Wrangler Forum. We can only help with Tech and CS. If you would like to give us a shout, give us a shout.
RK

10-4 I'll be getting a hold of you.

JeepAddOns-Chris 11-20-2013 10:54 AM

I'll try to be as impartial as possible here.

MC springs are longer, thus less likely to pop out of the bucket at full droop IF you have enough axle travel to get them that far. That is based on misalignment in your ends and other factors. The springs themselves are the best riding I've experienced.

The duroflex joints are maintenance free and are proving themselves to be durable as well. They've only been on the market for maybe two years now, so long term is still difficult to determine. Running high misalignment ends on both sides instead of a high misalignment end and a clevite end gives you more suspension travel.

That said, RK is absolutely no slouch. The geometry is right. The ride is excellent with their current setup on their lifts. It will be interesting to see what they have coming up. Pair it up with a set of BDS Tuned Fox 2.0s, Rancho 7000s or their recommended Bilstein 5100s and you'll have a great system. Factor in bumpstops and rear coil wedges with your purchase on RK kits.

Imped 11-20-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

RK

You can quit trying to get me to test your products any time you'd like. I've had enough experience with your parts to know that they're not my cup of tea. ;)

Lowerumble 11-20-2013 12:17 PM

These were the two on my shortlist. After debating, and reading, I concluded that you couldn't really go wrong either way. If price is the factor, then I think RK is a little cheaper. I concluded that I like trying "new tech" sometimes and went with MC. I did the 2.5 OME kit. I have been impressed with everything so far, but truly since havingput it on, I have not done anything "hardcore" yet. (Damn new baby!) I really want to try the MC six packs out, but am waiting to decide if I am going to go up to 3.5.

Again, I would not have hesitated to try out RK either. I got good support from MC over the phone everytime I called and they are on the forum a little. RK seems to be on this forum more often though.

Rock Krawler Sus. 11-20-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepAddOns-Chris (Post 6258898)
I'll try to be as impartial as possible here.

MC springs are longer, thus less likely to pop out of the bucket at full droop IF you have enough axle travel to get them that far. That is based on misalignment in your ends and other factors. The springs themselves are the best riding I've experienced.

The duroflex joints are maintenance free and are proving themselves to be durable as well. They've only been on the market for maybe two years now, so long term is still difficult to determine. Running high misalignment ends on both sides instead of a high misalignment end and a clevite end gives you more suspension travel.

That said, RK is absolutely no slouch. The geometry is right. The ride is excellent with their current setup on their lifts. It will be interesting to see what they have coming up. Pair it up with a set of BDS Tuned Fox 2.0s, Rancho 7000s or their recommended Bilstein 5100s and you'll have a great system. Factor in bumpstops and rear coil wedges with your purchase on RK kits.

For 99% of our systems that require coil correction wedges (X Factor and Up) they are included. Some 2012+ 2 Doors once and a while can use them if there is a drive line swap or something and further pinion correction is required.

We do sell bump stops separately so they can be matched up with shock, tire + wheel and Fender combinations.

Chris at Jeep Add Ons is an excellent source...

Rock Krawler Sus. 11-20-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 6260770)
You can quit trying to get me to test your products any time you'd like. I've had enough experience with your parts to know that they're not my cup of tea. ;)

We understand. You just can't take a component or part of a system and add it with everything you have in your vehicle and expect it to work as if it was a complete system. We get it. We have done it too. But, we accept thatů

RK

afd660 11-21-2013 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I chose RK because of a guy I know who wheels in Oregon recommended them and he wheels pretty hardcore. LOL. I'm happy with it. I have noticed that it rides a bit harsher than my friends with aOME lift, but I think its because of the Bilstein 5100s I have, where he's running the OME shocks and its a smoother ride. The RK is almost .5 inches higher than his 2.5 OME lift, that's with both basically stock, no bumpers or anything. I know you're not asking about OME but that's about all I can compare it to. He wants to get a Metal Cloak lift so we can compare them. I don't think you can go wrong with either RK, MC or even OME really.

In the pic the spring came out of the top mount maybe 2 inches, but the kit comes with spring retainers and it went right back in and rode the same as I can remember. Stock bumpstops and 33's. Havent rubbed a fender or pinch seam.

MC lift you can use the stock shocks if you wanted to. So you save some cash there, and comes with adjustable bumpstops. The RK lift is a bit more cash and you have to get shocks but you get 4 extended brake lines, 4 lower control arms, quick disconnects, retainers. I think the price will equal out if you add up the parts you get in one vs the other.

Its like asking do you want Mila Kunis from "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" or do you want Mila Kunis from "Ted". Either one you choose I'm sure you'll be happy.

EDIT: Went back and read you were asking about the RK 2.5 flex. I have the 2.5 max travel. Sorry for the mix up.

danrb 11-21-2013 05:44 AM

I'm probably gonna go with RK. Being an engineer, I like the component approach to things. You can start with their most basic system and add all the parts piecemeal until you have their top of the line system. I thought this might be the expensive way to go, but to start with the 2.5 stock RK, then upgrade to the Flex, Max Travel and X Factor would cost you an additional $112. Not bad if you can't afford the top of the line to start with. The only question I need to chew on for this approach is what does it mean to their warranty.

I also followed the thread http://http://www.wranglerforum.com/...ed-391802.html. RK came through and helped the guy out. As the tital says, "issue resolved". Not many companies will stand behind their product. Chrysler being one that doesn't.