Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   JKS Sway Bar Quick Disconnects (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/jks-sway-bar-quick-disconnects-40053.html)

Axiom 11-18-2009 10:05 AM

JKS Sway Bar Quick Disconnects
 
Adjustable Swaybar End Link Kit by JKS™ and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware

Will those JKS quick disconnects work with a TJ that's sitting at stock height? Also, will they work with the OME 2.5" lift?

Thanks!

mudslinger150 11-18-2009 10:17 AM

the disconnects come in different sizes, they do make them for stock heights and heights up to 6+ inches.

jwm1986 11-18-2009 10:19 AM

If you are for sure going to be lifting then just get the longer one. It won't be too far off if it's adjusted all the way down. But like he said, there are different ones. I have the OME 2.5" lift and they work perfect for me!

Axiom 11-18-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwm1986 (Post 490689)
If you are for sure going to be lifting then just get the longer one. It won't be too far off if it's adjusted all the way down. But like he said, there are different ones. I have the OME 2.5" lift and they work perfect for me!

Thanks!

Have any pictures of your rig with the 2.5" OME lift? Want to get a feel for what it looks like.

Schmo 11-18-2009 10:28 AM

Looks like the link you posted is for adjustable Rear Sway bar links. You shouldn't need to mess with the rears if you are at stock height as you shouldn't be disconnecting them anyway. For the front, JKS makes some nice disco's . . . 0-2" for stock or close to it (might work for a 2.5", but might be a bit small . . . they also make another size that goes from 2+ which would probably be the ones to buy if you decided to put a 2.5 kit on there. The front discos will cost more than double compared to the rears.

Axiom 11-18-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmo (Post 490695)
Looks like the link you posted is for adjustable Rear Sway bar links. You shouldn't need to mess with the rears if you are at stock height as you shouldn't be disconnecting them anyway. For the front, JKS makes some nice disco's . . . 0-2" for stock or close to it (might work for a 2.5", but might be a bit small . . . they also make another size that goes from 2+ which would probably be the ones to buy if you decided to put a 2.5 kit on there. The front discos will cost more than double compared to the rears.

What kind of side effects would I see if I installed the 2.5" disconnect while at stock height?

jwm1986 11-18-2009 10:52 AM

Yeah I'll find some pics. Um -- Side effects, your sway bar will be too high and will affect the handling some. But I think they will adjust down far enough that it will be minimal still.

jwm1986 11-18-2009 10:54 AM

Here's several...
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...h_IMG_6539.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...h_IMG_6474.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...0816091321.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...0816091322.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...h_DSCF5504.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...h_DSCF5520.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...h_DSCF5522.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...h_DSCF5502.jpg

Schmo 11-18-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axiom (Post 490715)
What kind of side effects would I see if I installed the 2.5" disconnect while at stock height?

Your sway bar would be sitting at the wrong angle . . . I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be fairly flat with only about a 10* rise. I don't think they make a 2.5 one... from what I recall it's 0-2 and 2+. I wouldn't waste the money if you are at stock height . . . for under ten bucks at the local hardware store you can make your own disconnects using your stock links and then upgrade to the JKS when you go with your lift.

adkjoe 11-18-2009 11:43 AM

If your at stock height and are going to lift it soon don't waste your money. This what I did at stock height, cost's $6 and works great, only takes a few minutes to install as well.

Jeep Homemade Swaybar Disconnects

Schmo 11-18-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkjoe (Post 490750)
If your at stock height and are going to lift it soon don't waste your money. This what I did at stock height, cost's $6 and works great, only takes a few minutes to install as well.

Jeep Homemade Swaybar Disconnects

I was too lazy to search for the link!!! Yeah . . . what he said!!!:D

Axiom 11-18-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkjoe (Post 490750)
If your at stock height and are going to lift it soon don't waste your money. This what I did at stock height, cost's $6 and works great, only takes a few minutes to install as well.

Jeep Homemade Swaybar Disconnects

Wow, thats a nifty idea. Thanks for the link! I'll just do that until I get the lift then I'll buy the JKS disconnects.

Thanks guys

Axiom 11-18-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwm1986 (Post 490724)
Here's several...

Thanks for the pictures. Exactly what I needed.

adkjoe 11-18-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axiom (Post 490804)
Wow, thats a nifty idea. Thanks for the link! I'll just do that until I get the lift then I'll buy the JKS disconnects.

Thanks guys

Seriously it's the way to go until you get a lift. There easy to take out and put back in on the trail, there cheap, and they work great.

Some advice, keep an extra set in the glove box, I forgot to disconnect them one time on the trail and broke one of the hitch pins and the whole thing fell out somewhere. Not a big deal but if you have a decent drive on the highway to get home your going to want your sway bar connected. Keep an extra set in the glove box just in case and your good to go.

Axiom 11-18-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkjoe (Post 490824)
Seriously it's the way to go until you get a lift. There easy to take out and put back in on the trail, there cheap, and they work great.

Some advice, keep an extra set in the glove box, I forgot to disconnect them one time on the trail and broke one of the hitch pins and the whole thing fell out somewhere. Not a big deal but if you have a decent drive on the highway to get home your going to want your sway bar connected. Keep an extra set in the glove box just in case and your good to go.

Good advice. Considering how cheap they are I think I will go ahead and do that.

adkjoe 11-18-2009 12:42 PM

let us know how it goes, and of coarse post a pic or 2 or we won't believe you :D

IslandTJ 11-18-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axiom (Post 490804)
Wow, thats a nifty idea. Thanks for the link! I'll just do that until I get the lift then I'll buy the JKS disconnects.

Thanks guys

I would seriously consider upgrading to a anti-swaybar built specifically for off-roading. Do some research on the Currie Antirock, I used to run disconnected (Teraflex Quick Disconnects) but now appreciate the stability an off-road swaybar gives my Jeep.

Note: I actually run a dual rate bar - ORO SwayLOC, but the single rate bar by Currie mirrors the same performance while off-roading.

s3nt3nc3d 11-18-2009 06:19 PM

I personally wouldn't trust those homemade disconnects...sure keeping a spare set is a simple solution if you snap one on the trail, but if you snap one on the road driving highway speeds, that could make for a really fun ride.

I work on a farm and those little pins snap fairly easily...I wouldn't trust em.

Just my opinion though...

Schmo 11-18-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 491263)
I personally wouldn't trust those homemade disconnects...sure keeping a spare set is a simple solution if you snap one on the trail, but if you snap one on the road driving highway speeds, that could make for a really fun ride.

I work on a farm and those little pins snap fairly easily...I wouldn't trust em.

Just my opinion though...


You can use other hardware . . . whatever suits your fancy. You could use grade 8 bolts with a wing nut or drill a hole in the end so you can throw a washer with a pin clip behind it.

adkjoe 11-18-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 491263)
I personally wouldn't trust those homemade disconnects...sure keeping a spare set is a simple solution if you snap one on the trail, but if you snap one on the road driving highway speeds, that could make for a really fun ride.

I work on a farm and those little pins snap fairly easily...I wouldn't trust em.

Just my opinion though...


A lot of people use them including myself. It's not a long term solution but will work fine until he gets a lift and some real discos. There is a thread somewhere on here where mudslinger asked about them and even Jerry Bransford commented and said they work great. If you don't trust them that's fine, I use them though and that's just my .02 cents

Read this thread:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/this...afe-38282.html

s3nt3nc3d 11-18-2009 09:17 PM

Yeah...like I said, just my opinion so if you wanna use em, it's cool. I just know at work, those pins like to break at the worst possible moment...so if it were me, I personally would save and buy some good quality ones since I just KNOW my pin would end up giving out on a Sunday evening during one of my trips to BFE in southern IL, 300 miles away from home. lol

Schmo 11-18-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 491376)
Yeah...like I said, just my opinion so if you wanna use em, it's cool. I just know at work, those pins like to break at the worst possible moment...so if it were me, I personally would save and buy some good quality ones since I just KNOW my pin would end up giving out on a Sunday evening during one of my trips to BFE in southern IL, 300 miles away from home. lol

It's just a sway bar ;) . . . chances are, even if it did break you'd drive the 300 miles home and maybe start to wonder what that funny noise is when you go over a bump or why your Jeep was leaning a bit more as you turned that corner by your house!!! Not like you're going to have to call AAA or anything.

jdub2k5 11-18-2009 09:33 PM

I didnt notice mine... the dealer told me thats how a jeep on 35 handles I said not a chance and we worked out a deal and I found my swaybar broke... bought that and all is good

nicolas-eric 11-18-2009 09:36 PM

I like my JKS disconnects. But Im lazy. Ill replace them with an air activated sway bar disconnect in the next weeks.
ORO - Off Road Only SwayLOC Jeep TJ Anti-Sway Bar System

adkjoe 11-19-2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 491376)
Yeah...like I said, just my opinion so if you wanna use em, it's cool. I just know at work, those pins like to break at the worst possible moment...so if it were me, I personally would save and buy some good quality ones since I just KNOW my pin would end up giving out on a Sunday evening during one of my trips to BFE in southern IL, 300 miles away from home. lol


I agree sentenced saving for the JKS is well worth it, however he want's to disco before he gets a lift and that would mean he would be wasting money getting quick discos just to have to upgrade to longer ones when he gets a lift, so he would be saving twice.

s3nt3nc3d 11-19-2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolas-eric (Post 491397)
I like my JKS disconnects. But Im lazy. Ill replace them with an air activated sway bar disconnect in the next weeks.
ORO - Off Road Only SwayLOC Jeep TJ Anti-Sway Bar System

Holy crap! That's a lot of money for just "being lazy!"

Your time must be worth a fortune...LOL

IslandTJ 11-19-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 491612)
Holy crap! That's a lot of money for just "being lazy!"

Your time must be worth a fortune...LOL

I have the manual version. I didn't see the need for in-cab control especially when I have to go out to air down. I was hesitant to purchase the SwayLOC because of the price but the convenience factor won me over. I also appreciate the dual rate function allowing me to be in "street" mode or "off-road" via a simple lever. Expensive? Yes, but IMO the off-road anti-sway bar is one of my top 3 upgrades.

CrashDeftones 07-07-2013 10:53 PM

sway links and death wobble
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmo (Post 491388)
It's just a sway bar ;) . . . chances are, even if it did break you'd drive the 300 miles home and maybe start to wonder what that funny noise is when you go over a bump or why your Jeep was leaning a bit more as you turned that corner by your house!!! Not like you're going to have to call AAA or anything.

I just put in my new 2" BB lift this weekend and noticed that I broke a front sway link. Once install complete, I had to make a small road trip to the city and took a slight left turn on the highway...hit a bump at the same time, and it sent me into a HUGE wobbling mess! I had to drop my speed to 40, in the speed lane mind you, and then get over. Once my jeep recorrected itself, I was fine and had no issues the rest of the way home. SCARY! I was almost a victim of death wobble, literally. LESSON LEARNED! FIX THAT SHIT ASAP!

wa_troop 07-07-2013 11:23 PM

I know I'm gonna get a lecture for this but mine haven't been on for the last 6 months and in running 2.75in lift


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 AM.