Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   15 or 20 gallon tank??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/15-or-20-gallon-tank-40151.html)

95riogrande 11-20-2009 08:19 PM

15 or 20 gallon tank???

I have a 95 rio grande. previous owner had a build sheet and had told me it had a 20 gallon capacity. I drove it down to what I thought was "E" filled it up and it only took about 13 gallons. I just bought a warrior 20 gallon tank skid. another thing is that it does have 2 straps holding it down to the skid. I thought that a 15 gallon tank only had 1 strap. It said on 4wd.com 20 gallon tank requires 2 straps. if it had a 15 gallon assembly in it would it show it was empty too early??

Ray - San Jose 11-20-2009 08:43 PM

Toss a Jerry can in the back of your Jeep and run it until empty, then add the fuel in the Jerry can to get you to a gas station. When you fill up, add the amount that was in the can and you have a definitive answer as to how big your tank is. :D

95riogrande 11-20-2009 08:58 PM

yeah that was one of my ideas, i'll probally end up doing something like that.

95riogrande 11-20-2009 09:20 PM

hmm now that I look at the build sheet it say NFSS 15 gallon fuel tank but it also says YGGA 9 additional gallons of gas?? im confused

Ray - San Jose 11-20-2009 09:48 PM

Go run with a Jerry can, it'll cure all your confusions :D

Pylonpounder 11-20-2009 10:11 PM

I strongly advise against that. If you run out of fuel, you can suck up sludge and destroy your engine. Here's the deal: I don't know on 95's, but I'm almost positive it extends to that- Chrysler got lazy and put a 20 gallon tank on all wranglers, but if the buyer didn't want the option, they gave them with a hose that goes into the tank that limits, via the laws of physics, how much liquid can be put into it the tank to 15 gallons. There may be a reserve- I know some people have 4 gallons left when they are on E. I'm not willing to find that out for me, I don't want to suck up any sludge.

HyperBuzzin 11-21-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95riogrande (Post 492422)
hmm now that I look at the build sheet it say NFSS 15 gallon fuel tank but it also says YGGA 9 additional gallons of gas?? im confused

It's a 15 gallon capacity tank, but they only gave it 9 gallons of gas on delivery.

birdhunter 11-21-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pylonpounder (Post 492440)
I strongly advise against that. If you run out of fuel, you can suck up sludge and destroy your engine. Here's the deal: I don't know on 95's, but I'm almost positive it extends to that- Chrysler got lazy and put a 20 gallon tank on all wranglers, but if the buyer didn't want the option, they gave them with a hose that goes into the tank that limits, via the laws of physics, how much liquid can be put into it the tank to 15 gallons. There may be a reserve- I know some people have 4 gallons left when they are on E. I'm not willing to find that out for me, I don't want to suck up any sludge.

Sound Advice X2