Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Noisy Front Hard Top Panels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/noisy-front-hard-top-panels-40192.html)

ptk 11-21-2009 06:41 PM

Noisy Front Hard Top Panels

Made a post a couple of weeks ago on noisy hardtop panels on a 2009 Unlimited.
Basically a lot of creaking/rattling noises coming off the front panels, regardless of what combination of tightening was used to install the panels.
A LOT of creaking/rattling noise, enough to think that the top was loose even though everything was tightened down.
After a few weeks of trial and error I think I found a $1.00 solution.
Literally.
I put two quarters between the front brackets and the locking clamp, located directly above the sun visors.
This basically pulled the panels down a little tighter.
So far noise has almost been eliminated.
Questions are, can the brackets adjust up or down on the body?
Are aftermarket brackets available?
Something with a little bit more mass and downward bend.
Thanks.
PTK

JIMBOX 11-21-2009 08:00 PM

:) Well, I don't know of any way to adjust the actual brackets themselves, but

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptk (Post 492924)
Made a post a couple of weeks ago on noisy hardtop panels on a 2009 Unlimited.
Basically a lot of creaking/rattling noises coming off the front panels, regardless of what combination of tightening was used to install the panels.
A LOT of creaking/rattling noise, enough to think that the top was loose even though everything was tightened down.
After a few weeks of trial and error I think I found a $1.00 solution.
Literally.
I put two quarters between the front brackets and the locking clamp, located directly above the sun visors.
This basically pulled the panels down a little tighter.
So far noise has almost been eliminated.
Questions are, can the brackets adjust up or down on the body?
Are aftermarket brackets available?
Something with a little bit more mass and downward bend.
Thanks.
PTK

Take a short length of 3/8 red fuel line, cut about 1 1/4 inch long, split it (one side) lengthwise and tape in place on the windshield bkt (the part the clamp fixes to, that will increase the clamp force by at least 1/4 inch

Then, never tighten the two rear attach thumbscrews, just snug them after all the other clamps are "set", try to get the threads started when you just place the Freedom tops in place-passenger side first

At least that works on my '08, no noise, no leak, no wind leak either

Good luck

:rofl::punk: JIMBO

JIMBOX 11-23-2009 09:16 PM

:) Yo ptk, you asked me in the email about the Rockhard cage, it's easier for me to post a pic here than email

ROCKHARD makes a roll bar (cage) for the JK 2/4 drs that usually will interfere with the freedom panels, so I was refering to the freedom top mods that have to be done, for complete closing with the new cage installed

It is not easy to install, but it can be done RIGHT, with care

:rofl::D JIMBO