Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   armor properties and considerations (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/armor-properties-and-considerations-402274.html)

K.wag 11-21-2013 04:33 PM

armor properties and considerations
 
With the holiday season, I am considering purchasing a new skid plate.

Looking at armor in general, what properties are necessary?

Steel vs. aluminium
3/16: vs 1/4", 1/4" vs 3/8"

Are the low ends (3/16" steel/1/4" Al) strong enough?
Is aluminium worth the extra cost?
Favorite coatings (spray paint, powder coat, etc)
Does Al require any coat?

Other comments?

JeepersDave 11-21-2013 05:51 PM

Not sure what you want to protect with a new skid plate, fuel tank, engine....?

I have the factory center plate and I recently added the Warn engine/trans plate. It connects to the center plate using existing holes and the front has a super duty bracket running cross frame. It was very easy to install and seems to have plenty access to the drain plug and other things.

K.wag 11-21-2013 06:04 PM

My factory transmission plate got all sorts of dents in it and bends to easily for comfort. Intersted in something a bit beefier.
I am not necessarily concerned about "which brand to go with" as I am pretty set on UCF,

more so, I am just curious about what thickness/metal people are running and what they say.

tkfx 11-22-2013 01:19 AM

Id say go steel for everything under the jeep and go aluminum (if you have the coin) for outside armor.

K.wag 11-22-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkfx (Post 6301858)
Id say go steel for everything under the jeep and go aluminum (if you have the coin) for outside armor.

That seems interesting. What is your reasoning?

tkfx 11-22-2013 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.wag (Post 6302394)
That seems interesting. What is your reasoning?

undercarriage would see more rock contact then anywhere else on the jeep. Reason I say Steel is because its cheaper then aluminum and stronger, but also weighs more. Aluminum is strong, but I think steel would last longer in the long run.

Anywhere else that would see very little contact I would go with aluminum. Steel is too heavy to put in a place where it would see very little damage, so for cases like that I would go aluminum just to save weight.

Imped 11-22-2013 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkfx (Post 6303162)
Aluminum is strong, but I think steel would last longer in the long run.

Care to elaborate on which grades and treatments you're referring to when making your claims?

I run a 1/4" 6061-T6 belly skid that's supported by steel crossmembers and 3/16" 6061-T6 corner guards and rocker guards that both use 3/8" 6061 backing plates.

The proper type of aluminum in the proper thickness with smart execution and fastening will hold up every bit as well as steel in the same applications while weighing a heck of a lot less. In fact, my old 1/4" steel belly skid was weaker than my current aluminum skid in terms of bending due more to design than material.

tkfx 11-22-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 6303466)
Care to elaborate on which grades and treatments you're referring to when making your claims?

I run a 1/4" 6061-T6 belly skid that's supported by steel crossmembers and 3/16" 6061-T6 corner guards and rocker guards that both use 3/8" 6061 backing plates.

The proper type of aluminum in the proper thickness with smart execution and fastening will hold up every bit as well as steel in the same applications while weighing a heck of a lot less. In fact, my old 1/4" steel belly skid was weaker than my current aluminum skid in terms of bending due more to design than material.

Im sorry I was wrong. 6061-T6 aluminum is just as strong as steel. There are a million threads out there that argue Steel vs Aluminum lets not start another one pls.


To the OP. aluminum and steel are both equally great. If you have the money go aluminum, its lighter and just as durable as steel. Some people care about the weight of their jeep some don't. The lighter your jeep the easier the tires will climb obstacles, ultimatly its up to you.

K.wag 11-22-2013 11:41 AM

Does aluminum have to be powder coated or anything like that?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.