Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Colo-TJ Build Thread

5K views 42 replies 8 participants last post by  Colo-TJ 
#1 ·
Well I have been working on my Rig for a couple of years now and have finaly decided to do a build thread on its progress.
Bear with me as I compile all the info and put this thing together.
I was fortunate enough to have traded my 02 Ford Ranger Edge for this 01 TJ. when I got it it already had a 3.5 Taraflex lift and 33" AT's other than that it was pretty stock.

So I figured that one of the first rhings I wanted to do was trade out that shiny grill guard and get some bumpers.......
researched for a while and settled on a local guy branded "Fessybuilt". nice solid construction and seemed to be what I wanted at the time

See less See more
#2 ·
Then I had to name her.......I did a little research and went back to my roots and found a Celtic word that means Narrow Mountain Pass.....Great fit since that is where she will be most of the time......Bealach it is.......had a freind make up some vinyl decals for the hood with a Celtic knot font.......

#3 ·
I decided that the steps had to go after beating them up on a trail or 2. I once again went to a local guy in Falcon Colorado. Brand Name " Off Road Armor". Vey stout and had plenty of protection for the rockers......plus they were in my price range. JD took real good care to make me happy as a customer and I have nothing but good things to say about his service and his product.

#4 ·
so then I ran a few trails and learned that even the best laaid plans also need to be modified and that the trail will dictate what the next mod will be.......
I decided that I needed some more meat on the ground. I had a bud that was working here from Texas that was getting new rubber and he had some decent 35x1250x15 that he would let me have....woohoo.

#5 ·
started doing some more research and learned that I best start thinking about and axle upgrade. as well as SYE. so those moved to the top of the list.
Since I couldn't do a lot with the axle all at once I purchased the axle first and it sat on my floor for a year as I gathered parts for it. Gonna do the 8.8 swap.

I picked i up out of a 97 exploder which gave me a disc brake upgrade for the rear.
I'll get back to this later as the build progresses.

#7 ·
summertime rolled around and I wheeled instead of wrenched and gathered upgrades for the winter. it was a great summer for wheeling and I was able to get out almost every weekend. I began to prepare the axle. I wanted something that was reliable and very strong. so I went with the Artek Industries Truss system. it made the bracket location simplified and gave some major strength to the whole thing.

Being in the construction industry I have a buddy that welded it up for me....

#8 ·
in the mean time I look into gearing and Holy Crap....This is gonna cost some cash.......so do I just regear the front to the 3.73 that is in the 8.8??? or do I just save and do it right? I decide to save and do it next fall. Well I end up snapping a u-joint a couple of times up wheeling and said to heck with it I need the SYE right now.......Big trip set up and I am not going to break up there......I pull a few measurements on the D35 and the 8.8 and decide that I should be able to use the new driveshaft when I do the swap....I spend my gear money and I get a Taraflex SYE and Driveshaft. Needed to happen..........

#9 ·
Winter finally settled in enough to stop the wheeling season. I worked a few side jobs and saved enough over the couple of months to finish the axle and get a few more parts like a detroit locker and upper adjustable control arms for the instal (I had already purchased the lowers because of damage to the stock ones over the summer). I found a guy that was about 25 miles north of me that would do the gears for $1200 which was a good deal compared to everywhere else I had checked. so I took him my Jeep and the Axle and he did the gearing. I wanted to get it done and get 500 miles on it in the next 2 weeks so that I could get out to Jeep Safari in Moab in April.

#11 · (Edited)
After EJS I decided that I now needed to concentrate on the Armor a little more. I have been researching the idea of a Tummy Tuck and working towards that goal as I have done some other things....I did a BL and a MML in preperation for it already and now that the Axle swap is complete with adjustable arms and the SYE is done I began saving for Rokmen high clearance belly skid/ Gas tank skid and the Oil Pan skid. I decided to wait a few for the oil pan skid and just do the other 2 first. dang stuff is expensive....LOL
I'll get some pics later

#13 ·
this summer at the start of the season I upgraded the rubber to Maxxis Creepy Crawlers.
They are pricy but so far I have loved them!!

#14 ·
then......as you all know I had to do more....LOL
I ordered up the Genright Fenders and picked up the rear corner armor from Rockmen. I also went ahead and snagged up the Oil Pan skid while I was at it.

I wanted to do something different and origaly was going to have it all powdercoated silver but decided against it and went with a 10% sheen flat black....

#15 ·
while I was waiting to get this done I went to Buena Vista and ran a trail by the name of Chinaman Gulch which is a upper moderate trail. It showed me once again that I needed an upgrade!!! I spun the spider gears in the front D30......CRAP!!

#17 ·
so I looked at all options and decided that I would get a trutrac locker and Chromolly axle shafts and have the D30 supersized.......I figure it will hold well enough for me. Time will truly tell but I have confidence.

#19 ·
So Finally last weekend I finished up the fenders and the corner armor.
We are planning a trip to Moab for T Giving so I just have a driveway pic for now......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.