Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Can't shift into gear (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/cant-shift-into-gear-40382.html)

jownman 11-26-2009 02:18 AM

Can't shift into gear

So, I was driving home from a very stressful day at work today when all of a sudden I hear a BOOM noise come from the engine - and all of a sudden I can barely shift gears. I had to forcefully push it into 1st and 2nd with a lot of grinding. It really stressed me out b/c I didn't want to pay $75 for a tow job, but I didn't want to really mess it up. Realizing something crazy is going down I immediately turned around and headed for the nearest mechanic. I almost made it - 200 yards short when it gave out and wouldn't let me put it in gear at all. I tried with all of my strength - nothing. So, I had to hop out and push it the final stretch (about an hour before rush hour, thank god - but extremely stressful none the less).

I'm not mechanically inclined at all, and I live in an apartment - so working on this by myself is out of the question. I really don't want to get taken advantage of by these guys, but they've got me by the balls b/c I can't drive it! Can someone make some recommendations on what this might be, so when I hear the verdict on Friday, I'll know whats up?

From what I've been reading it sounds like the throw out bearing is shot, and maybe the master cyclinder too? Anyone have a shop replace these recently - if so how much did it run?

Thanks -
John

Specs: 2004 Wrangler X 4wd 6 cyl, 30" tires

350chevrolet 11-26-2009 03:02 AM

Could be alot of things. Clutch hydrolics being the cheapest all the way up to the trans having some internal problem. Throw out really won't cause that but the master or slave could. Notice any leaks under it? Unfortunatly a boom is not normally good, or cheap.

terrible2 11-26-2009 12:13 PM

Well though I doubt this is your problem, I broke my rear output shaft when I was Off Roading, heard a Clink, kinda like a boom I guess. It also grinded going into gears and couldnt get it above a certain rpm.

s3nt3nc3d 11-26-2009 12:54 PM

I'd put my vote on the clutch hydraulics or something that's not allowing your clutch to work...we ran into this issue on my friends old Samurai. His clutch cable snapped and it wouldn't go into gear.

My guess is...in the beginning you were able to force it into gear because your clutch was still BARELY functioning, whereas at the end it gave out entirely. I bet if you would have had someone push you about 5 mph, you would have been able to throw it into gear. That's what we had to do with the Samurai...no matter how much force they put into the shifter from a standstill, all it would do is grind. We had another friend behind us in his Jeep so he pushed us up to about 5 mph and then we gave it a lil gas and popped it right into gear. We also managed to hit second with a little grinding once rolling at a pretty good clip. But yeah... that's what I'm betting on...something in the hydraulic clutch went boom and you lost all the pressure.