Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Oil change problem with 2014

60K views 60 replies 38 participants last post by  Hootbro 
#1 ·
I just changed my oil last evening. Advance auto did not have the 2014 Wrangler in their system, so they gave me the oil filter from a 2013. After I installed the new filter and oil, the low oil pressure light came on with the check engine. I drove it around the block, once the oil pressure came up the oil pressure light went off. I noticed that the stock filter was different on the one end than the one I had bought. I put the old filter back on and now the oil pressure is good, but the check engine light is on still. Advance auto cannot read a 2014 yet, so I was wondering what should I do or is there a trick to reset the engine light.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
The 14 has a different oil filter. Any code reader should be able to reset the MIL. Go to the dealer and get the correct filter or find a better parts store.

#15 ·
+1 Get a filter from the dealer ASAP, in fact I wouldn't drive it anymore until you do. Take another set of wheels to the dealer to get your filter. As mentioned above don't tell the dealer you put the wrong filter on. Get your $$ from AAP.

#10 ·
In regard to the 2014 Wrangler, 3.6L Pentastar engine:

Chrysler/Jeep Oil filter part number is
68191349AA

(Note: No aftermarket oil filters to replace the
68191349AA are available as of today 11/23/13)

Jeep recommends you use SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, such as MOPAR, Pennzoil, and
Shell Helix.
- 6 quarts when changing oil filter
(5.7 Liters)

24mm oil filter cover removal
13mm socket for drain plug

For Fumoto Oil Drain Valve if you plan on installing same, you want an F106 .

Note: Do be sure to have the oil filter cap removed / filter out when you are actively draining the oil pan. IF you do not, all oil may not drain completely down into drain pan and out.

Resetting the change oil indicator:
With the engine off turn the key to the run position but do not start the engine. Depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor 3 times within the first 10 seconds of turning on the key. The change oil indicator should not return until the next interval.

#12 ·
Yes, check engine resets. Hey, I hope you went and got a refund from Advance Auto for the incorrect oil filter they sold you... (?)

Even if I had trashed that dirty filter, I'd be back to the store getting a refund. No receipt, go to the Manager and he still should hear your complaint and refund the $.

#13 ·
I would never mention to your Dealer, that you installed the wrong oil filter and then actually ran the engine. Because, that maybe detrimental, to your engine warranty, if a oil related failure was to occur in the future!!!!!!!!!

#14 ·
^ This! I'd be driving to the dealer in a different vehicle to pick up a filter and then swapping it out and returning the wrong filter.

#16 ·
2014 Oil Filter is different

I just had the same problem with my 2014 at 3000 miles. I took it to a quick-lube place. Immediately, the Check Engine and Oil Pressure lights lit up. They verified that the oil was full, and check and cleared the code (they came back) but they didn't know what else to do. Oil pressure fluctuated between 2 PSI at idle, and 25 PSI while driving.

I drove a few miles directly to the dealer. The dealer completed a new oil/filter change, cleared the codes, and all is well.

A call to the quick-lube store verified that they were still using 2013 data for the filter. (They're giving me a free oil change.) I got the feeling that the dealer hadn't seen this issue yet either. I'm out $30 for the diagnostic at the dealership, and some time.....but, lesson learned.

Attachments

#17 ·
JHFC! Every dealer in the land is now running LOF deals that compete with El Cheapo service centers. Why TF would you go anywhere else and suffer incorrect parts? Many dealers are now even throwing in the first several services for free, sweetening the deal.

#18 ·
One reason is the wise vehicle owner stays clear of the stealership unless there is no other way.. Also, did you ever stop to think why the dealership is trying to get you in their door for such services.

Doing an oil change on a Wrangler 2014 take but a few minutes.. Easy to do and next to no mess. You also save $ doing it yourself.

#19 ·
I worked for a dealer for ten years and they along with the other dealers I knew used high school kids on the lube rack. Problems and errors were rampant. At least the quick change places have a training program and work in teams verifying each other's work. Stay far away from a dealerships lube rack if you can at all help it.

#22 ·
I go to the dealer for my LOF as long as the vehicle is under warranty, that way if there is a problem I have proof I followed the recommended schedule. Do not trust independent oil and lube centers. Too many times over the years I have heard and have had the experience of these places using incorrect viscosity's, over filling, under filling, charging for a filter they do not replace, stripping the drain plug...... While I am at the dealership I take the opportunity to ask questions. Also if you get the tires rotated mark them with a black sharpie so you can make sure they did it properly.

#26 ·
I have a 2013 Wrangler and a 2014 Grand, both with 3.6. Fortunately I noticed the filter difference right away after I bought 6 2013 style filters at only $6 apiece from Pep Boys. I'm wondering if the whole 2014 oil filter assembly will work on a "13"
I may pull them both in the garage and see or try through my Jeep factory connections. They changed it for a reason (we know what) and if they kept it simple, hmmm. Rich

#28 ·
We have free lifetime oil and filter changes at our dealer, so they will be doing this service for us all the time. They've already changed it 3x in the first 5,000 miles, with another one coming up in a few more weeks.

I am not worried about them messing anything up. If they do they will be fixing it for free. My Chrysler car has a free lifetime oil change deal plus free tire rotation with the same dealership and I've been taking it there for 6 years. The only problem I've ever had was they once broke the top of the dipstick off and they had to move it to a regular service bay hoist to extract it. No big deal and it didn't cost me anything.

#31 ·
I worked in a dealership on Long Island, I won't mention the name. I watched the oil change guy screw up more than one car not knowing how to properly use the lift. I also watched the same guy use an impact gun to put the drain plug back in, he said it was faster. Improper fills, and the wrong grade oil was very common as well.

I prefer to do my own oil changes and not tempt fate. I had a Ford dealer total a van of mine that was in for warranty work. I also like the idea of knowing what oil I put in, and not have some bulk oil that may or may not be the proper viscosity because they got a good deal on it.

#33 ·
If you have a physical condition that prevents you from changing your own oil, that is one thing. But barring that, why would anyone trust the dealer or a quick lube place to change the oil properly? There are countless stories on this forum and others of engines ruined by dealer/quick lube places. I take those "free" oil change coupons I get and either toss em or use them to start my wood stove on those cold winter mornings, lol. It takes 15 minutes to change the oil on a JK, why play Russian Roulette with your engine?

#34 ·
What I have seen in Dealerships is, engine, diff, manual transmission, and transfer case oil changes, are performed by kids at minimum wage. They are just starting out and learning, and wanting someday to become a Technician. We all have to have a starting point in life, but the problem is, the lack of training that the Dealers offer these young kids, before they just turn them loose!

SO, WHY NOT JUST CHANGE YOUR OWN, BECAUSE IT IS SO SIMPLE TO DO IT?
THIS WILL ELIMINATE THERE SCREW UPS!

The exception to this is the Automatic Transmission oil change, which they normally use a certified technician for this change.

#35 ·
For what it's worth, I had a similar experience, but at my Jeep dealer:

I was given a "free oil changes for life" thingy when I bought my jeep, so I dropped it into the dealership one morning for it's 2nd oil change.

Later that day, I arrived at the dealership to pick her up. I put the key in the ignition, fired her up, and within about 30 seconds the "check engine" light came on.

I pointed this out to my service adviser, and he had one of the tech lads hook up a code reader. The error code was "P06DD". The tech said that he had never seen it before and couldn't find a description in his system, but that he would clear it and we would try again. He did so, and after a restart, there was no engine light. He said that I should not be worried, but that I should let them know if it comes back on.

When I got back home, I got on the Internet and found the code's description: "P06DD-DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP STUCK LOW" (an indication of low oil pressure).

The light has only come on once since -- On a very, very cold morning, but it went off after a wee bit of heat got into the engine.

So, that's my story. I'd be interested to hear which codes were thrown after your bad oil changes.

#38 ·
I bought a slightly used 2013 Unlimited about 3 months ago and I did my first oil change this weekend. I bought it used from a Jeep dealership and they had changed the oil before I bought it. The Jeep is supposed to hold 6 quarts of oil but I drained out just over 7 quarts!!

#39 ·
Funny. I read this forum almost daily and I couldn't come across this BEFORE my oil change?????

Same issue here. Wanted to get the factory oil out at 1K miles> I usually do it myself but went to a local Firestone (used them before and no bad experiences. besides ITS AN OIL CHANGE!!). Started up my 2014 unlimited and within seconds the oild light comes on. I ride it 50 feet up to the service bay shut it down and tell the tech. He starts it up and notices the light and brings it into the bay. Obviously we find that it is the wrong filter.

My question is do you think it was possible to cause some damage even though it was that short of a period that the vehicle was running? No weird sounds or smoke so I sure hope not.

Better get that lifetime warranty for sure now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.