Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Detroit TRUETRAC Vibration Prob (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/detroit-truetrac-vibration-prob-40460.html)

wscotterwin 11-27-2009 10:36 PM

Detroit TRUETRAC Vibration Prob

Hi guys, I added a Detroit Truetrac to my D30 in the front and now I have a lot of vibration. I understand that my front drive line is constantly turning now but it is hard to believe it causes this much vibration (about 60mph). My u joints look good. Is there any help?

Thinking this could have been a mistake. (they do work very well on the trail tho) :banghead:

cheapjeep71 11-28-2009 07:36 AM

Check to see if it is your driveshaft. Just pull your front shaft & take it for a ride. If it is gone then you probably need degree shims put in betweem the springs & the axle perches. Your driveline angle may be out of alignment. The yoke on the t-case & axle should be running parrallel to each other.(if it is the stock drive shaft) If it is a double cardon joint; then you can point them @ each other. Hopefully that will eliminnate your problem.

4Jeepn 11-28-2009 08:28 AM

Buddy of mine ran one granted in a TJ, but it was smooth on road when I drove it. Heck I had a full time locker in mine and no major issues on road.

Who did the install? self or shop? As stated pull the front driveshaft.. if that still does not do it, pull the diff cover and make sure everything looks okay, tight etc...

wscotterwin 11-28-2009 09:48 PM

Pulled the front drive line and the vibration is totally gone. The angle really looks good but I will measure it in the morning. I am thinking it might be the ujoints even though they look good. I twisted the last front drive line into a pretzel when I blew the rear end out in the mountains a few months ago. (Hence the new 4.56 gearing, Axles kits, and detroit lockers front and back). When I installed the new (used) front drive shaft, I used the old u joints. They look perfect but who knows what is lerking.

I recently also added a sye as I am going to go to a 4.5 RE (currently 2.0 rancho). I purchased a Tom Woods drive shaft (beautiful) and I am wondering about whether it is worth it to buy one for the front. Thoughts?

The sye is still leaking BTW. :banghead: I have pulled it once already and resealed. Damn thing keeps leaking even with the gray rtv. It leaks on the flange that extends out over the shifter shaft. (below the speedo sensor)

cheapjeep71 11-29-2009 03:41 PM

You ought to be able to find a machine shop that can build you a driveshaft for less monry than Tom Woods. If their any good; they can tell you the measurements they need. I can get a heavy duty shaft built for under $100.
As far as your t-case leaking; go to Chrysler & get some of their trans rtv sealer. I used it on my sye kit; & it has never leaked. It is made for transmissions & t-cases. It is a lot better than the sutf off the shelf.

wscotterwin 12-01-2009 09:02 PM

I put the new u joint in and it eliminated about 75% of the vibration.

I picked up some RTV that is ATF resistent today at Advance Adaptors here in town. I resealed it tonight. (I have my fingers crossed)

Steve at AA recommended that look at lengthing a XJ drive line to get a CV type joint in my front drive line. The YJs really weren't designed to have the front drive shaft continuosly turn. I found a XY driveline at the local salvage yard for $50 bucks and I am going to have it lengthined.
I am hopefull.

Jeep_Geek 12-02-2009 11:01 AM

you might want to do a quick visual inspection of the shaft to see if a weight has fallen off it. you can usually see the impression on the shaft if it has.