Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   My jeep feels like im flying a kite Help... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/my-jeep-feels-like-im-flying-a-kite-help-40620.html)

Jrzymilitia 12-01-2009 09:57 AM

My jeep feels like im flying a kite Help...

Hey guys im working on a second jeep now and I took it for a test drive the other day and it just seems to not wanna drive straight seems the slightst wind or the slightest movement and im all over the road..Im weaving back and fourth like a drunk. On this one it looks like the kid before me put 2 steering stab. on it. Now would this have anything to do with why im driving like a drunk? (and no im not drinking) Any input helps guys as usual...And man it feels good to be back on here again

Jerry Bransford 12-01-2009 10:12 AM

First, get rid of the two steering stabilizers and go back to one. Two stabilzers just forces the power steering system to work harder. In some cases like a tight twisty offroad trail on a hot day, the extra stabilizer could cause the PS fluid to get hot enough to actually boil over. Then, have its alignment checked... such a symptom is usually nothing more than a bad toe-in setting and/or insufficient caster angle. If your front control arms aren't adjustable length, you can rule out a bad caster angle. If they are adjustable length and the caster angle is off, set the caster angle to between 4.5 and 5 degrees which is what you want for 35" tires. The 7 degree factory caster angle is too high once you get bigger tires on it.

Jrzymilitia 12-01-2009 10:26 AM

Jerry you have done it again my man lol...Ill going downstairs now to start working on it..Thanks again

terrible2 12-01-2009 10:46 AM

dont worry, mine goes all over the place too. and I believe its my drop pitman arm and needing to tighten down the gearbox

Rawkon 12-01-2009 01:07 PM

terrible ditch the drop pitman arm. its not needed on the tj's. toe in is usually the culprit for being darty and all over the road.

terrible2 12-01-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawkon (Post 497531)
terrible ditch the drop pitman arm. its not needed on the tj's. toe in is usually the culprit for being darty and all over the road.

I know, im trying to find someone who has a stock pitman. I threw mine away

Jerry Bransford 12-01-2009 02:55 PM

Ask the shop foreman in the local 4x4 shops like ORW (more likely), 4Wheel Drive (less likely), etc. They normally have dropped Pitman arms from TJs they've removed and will either give one to you or sell it cheap. I already gave mine away or I would just give it to you.

terrible2 12-01-2009 05:53 PM

wow theyre right near me too. Ill ask ORW

Rawkon 12-01-2009 07:13 PM

If they dont I think i have one in the garage let me know ill ship it to you

2002Apex 12-01-2009 07:52 PM

so yall are saying that the 4in lift that im installing, DONT install the drop pitman arm??

Jerry Bransford 12-01-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2002Apex (Post 497739)
so yall are saying that the 4in lift that im installing, DONT install the drop pitman arm??

Right, don't install it. 99 times out of 100, a dropped Pitman arm should not be installed on a TJ. The only time it should be installed is if you're doing an EXTREMELY tall lift, like 6", or you've installed a trackbar that includes a dropped mount for its upper end... and very few trackbars make use of a dropped upper-end mount.