Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Grease fittings (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/grease-fittings-40623.html)

adkjoe 12-01-2009 11:00 AM

Grease fittings

Can someone please give me the proper way to grease the zirk fittings. I usually just hook the gun up to them and pump until it comes out of the rubber, am I doing this right or should I not fill it until it comes out. The grease I have been using (mobil 1) seems to thin, it drips out of the zirk nipple after I drive it for a while and it heats up, so I fill them up a lot, can you over grease?

HyperBuzzin 12-01-2009 12:02 PM

From the MSDS sheet for Mobil 1 synth grease....

Quote:

Operating range : -40 C (- 40 F) to 150 C (302 F)
It is recommended for automotive applications at both high and low temperatures. It is particularly suited for applications such as disc brake wheel bearings and ball and steering joints. It will provide outstanding bearing protection under heavy loads at any highway speed, and where moisture or condensation is a factor.
So, it would seem to be a good grease to use, but if you are getting it to 'drip' out from where you're putting it, something is getting VERY hot there.

adkjoe 12-01-2009 12:48 PM

Thanks for the info!

Well it drips from 5 of the 7 fittings. It's not flowing out, but when I park the jeep and look under it theirs a little drip on the end of the fittings. except the 2 that are facing up, that are above the brakes.

Besides that though whats the proper way to grease them? Just load them up till grease flows out of the rubber or is that going to cause a problem/ ruin the seals?

Rawkon 12-01-2009 01:16 PM

yup your doing it fine. I usually grease them till the boots fatten up. as long as your adding your rod ends and ujoints will last waaaaaaaaay longer.

HyperBuzzin 12-01-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkjoe (Post 497519)
Thanks for the info!

Well it drips from 5 of the 7 fittings. It's not flowing out, but when I park the jeep and look under it theirs a little drip on the end of the fittings. except the 2 that are facing up, that are above the brakes.

Might just be the ball/ball seal in the fitting slightly wearing out then. You can only get just so much of a tight seal on something not precision machined. And the zerk seal is just pressed, not machined.
Like Rawkon said, you should be good to go.

Jerry Bransford 12-01-2009 02:01 PM

Just don't overfill them as that will pop the rubber boot's seal where it seats. When the boot feels/looks fuller than it did when you started, it's time to stop forcing grease in through the zerk fitting. Even if the boot pops out of it seal, it's no big deal... just add enough grease to flush out the old grease and clean off what comes out.

A little liquid petroleum leaking out of the zerk fitting is nothing to be concerned with but it doesn't happen with all greases. I use a good quality synthetic grease that comes in the big tubes marked for Chrysler, it's a reddish grease that works well.

Rawkon 12-01-2009 07:22 PM

green grease or marine stuff is what i use. holds up very well and repells water.

Jerry Bransford 12-01-2009 07:26 PM

Just be wary... many greases are incompatible with each other and cannot be applied over the top without the first grease having been completely removed with a solvent.

adkjoe 12-02-2009 06:51 AM

Thanks guys I appreciate it, Grease fittings have always baffled me :banghead:

terrible2 12-02-2009 11:07 AM

You know I asked the exact same thing about grease and if I had to wash one off before putting on the other. I was told grease is grease, hopefully the grease that was in my swingaway tire carrier was compatible with my cheap one I bought from Autozone.

You know Akdjoe im so cheap that I refuse to buy a grease gun for right now, and instead take off my tire and take my tire carrier off the hinge and manually grease

Jerry Bransford 12-02-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrible2 (Post 498045)
I was told grease is grease...

Do a Google search on grease incompatibilities where you'll find webpages like http://www.mindconnection.com/librar...easecompat.htm. :)

csamn2007 12-16-2009 05:40 PM

I was greasing up everything today, all but one of my boots are dry rotted, cracked, or seal is blown. Is that something i should replace or not?

Loic 12-16-2009 07:09 PM

I always put grease until the old blck nasty grease is coming out and I see clean grease

whiteyj 12-16-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csamn2007 (Post 506767)
I was greasing up everything today, all but one of my boots are dry rotted, cracked, or seal is blown. Is that something i should replace or not?

In a word....Yes.

csamn2007 12-16-2009 08:36 PM

Cool thanks!

scavanau 12-17-2009 12:54 AM

2 bits of info I can add to this are that any grease with an NLGI grade 2 rating is recommended for an application where water/moisture is an issue.

A pneumatic grease gun is the cats a**.

I once owned 3 Polaris Sportsman's. I know zerk fittings.

Loic 12-17-2009 04:15 AM

i have 2 motorcycle (kawasaki ZZR 1200, 2002 &2005) and i do that at least twice a year, and +1 for the pneumatic grease gun !!!!