Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Trailer Hitch Carriers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/trailer-hitch-carriers-40758.html)

david 12-03-2009 07:08 PM

Trailer Hitch Carriers

Any suggestions on vendors for a lite weight trailer hitch carrier for 2001 Sport?

Geoff@Bestop 12-03-2009 10:36 PM

Anything that fits a standard hitch is a not a Jeep-specific item. So don't restrict yourself to the normal Jeep stuff. The local farmers store here carries one for like 50 bucks.

david 12-04-2009 07:12 PM

Thanks for the reply..

Jerry Bransford 12-04-2009 07:37 PM

If you offroad with your TJ, I would not install a bolt-on hitch. They hang down too far below the bumper and drag on the terrain when you're offroad. Instead, I would pay just a little more to buy a replacement bumper that has an integrated 2" receiver hitch like Olympic makes and can be found in Quadratec's catalog. I think Olympic calls it their 'Rock' bumper. I've had one on the rear of my TJ for about ten years and it's been great. The receiver hitch is up a little higher at bumper level so it's completely out of the way when you're offroad. Not much can hurt a Jeep's offroad performance more than a trailer hitch that is dragging through the terrain. You can see a pic or two on my webpage, link below, that shows the bumper & its receiver hitch. :)

wolfen 12-05-2009 03:30 PM

I found a bolt on hitch that is class1 up at Ollies about 2 months ago I bought it and brought it home, its the kind that bolts onto eth bumper, but the instructions only covered up to a 2000, so I called eth company and they said they couldn't give me directions because that one didn't cover my year, a bolt on would be the right one for me since I'm not changing bumpers, but I can't find one now not even on the internet, Got any ideas Jerry? The one I was building I cut about 2 inches too short to bolt on anyway so I gave up on that

cjandthetj 12-05-2009 11:12 PM

I got a bolt on class III that can handle 4000lbs (not that I would ever tow any where near that) from uhaul and it was only about $150 or $160 for parts. I like having a large area to work with in terms of weight. I got a $10 D-ring piece for the receiver from harbor freight and it is great for towing out smaller cars who get stuck in the snow. I considered the issue with it being lower, but the skid plate on my gas tank drops lower than the hitch itself so that will drag before the bumper. Plus for $5 you can get a warranty that will cover EVERYTHING; accident, theft, rust, etc.

wolfen 12-06-2009 11:50 AM

I found this, I have it on another thread here too, It will handle Class1 which will be great for me for two reasons, (1) the Jeep has a 2.5L engine, and (2) my trailer is a Class1

Jeep Wrangler TJ Trailer Hitch Bracket for Bumper Mounting

However I will be making 2 changes to his design (1) I will be adding a third bolt through the top, and I will be manufacturing a back plate for the backside of the bumper