Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   Largest Tire Size for 2007 4dr Wrangler (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-size-for-2007-4dr-wrangler-41270.html)

Buzador 12-13-2009 07:14 PM

Largest Tire Size for 2007 4dr Wrangler

Anyone, I have a 2007 Wrangler w/ stock P255/70R 18 tires (not sure if comparable to 32 or 33?). My situation, I like the stock rims I have but, "what would be the largest tire I can get w/o spacers or a lift?"

Please assist.... & I think this forum site ROCKS as being the new guy to this site.

Take care,

Hensman 12-13-2009 08:55 PM

The stock ones are 32" tall and 10" wide. You could go up to a 275/70/18 which is 33" tall and a little less than 11" wide but I am not 100% sure because I have a tj, so idk about the jk's backspacing on the wheels. Someone else will chime in shortly.

steve-m 12-13-2009 11:18 PM

Hello Buzador,

It seems you have a Sahara.
With the standard gearing (3.21), stick with the original diameter -32.
If you go bigger, your Jeep will not be able to get out of its own way.
Only go bigger if you have optional gearing (3.73 or something like that).
As for the width, I would stick to something really close to the originals. I don't like the idea of spacers or non standard offset wheels due to the added strain they will put on wheel bearings. The offset of the wheel is designed to place the most stress directly on the middle of the wheel bearing.
As far as clearance is concerned, turn your wheels all the way to the stops and look carefully to see how much clearance you have left between tire and anything else (frame, fender flare, etc).
And remember, bigger tires are heavier. That means a less comfortable ride, poorer handling (don't need that in a Jeep) and a guaranteed loss of ga$ milage.

Buzador 12-14-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-m (Post 504723)
Hello Buzador,

It seems you have a Sahara.
With the standard gearing (3.21), stick with the original diameter -32.
If you go bigger, your Jeep will not be able to get out of its own way.
Only go bigger if you have optional gearing (3.73 or something like that).
As for the width, I would stick to something really close to the originals. I don't like the idea of spacers or non standard offset wheels due to the added strain they will put on wheel bearings. The offset of the wheel is designed to place the most stress directly on the middle of the wheel bearing.
As far as clearance is concerned, turn your wheels all the way to the stops and look carefully to see how much clearance you have left between tire and anything else (frame, fender flare, etc).
And remember, bigger tires are heavier. That means a less comfortable ride, poorer handling (don't need that in a Jeep) and a guaranteed loss of ga$ milage.

steve-m, thanks for the technical advice as it is something important for handling & $$$ gas expense... Ciao,

Buzador 12-14-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hensman (Post 504641)
The stock ones are 32" tall and 10" wide. You could go up to a 275/70/18 which is 33" tall and a little less than 11" wide but I am not 100% sure because I have a tj, so idk about the jk's backspacing on the wheels. Someone else will chime in shortly.

Thanks alot for the advice! Take care & hopefully in the future I can return the favor.. Ciao,