Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Christmas vs "holiday" (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/christmas-vs-holiday-4186.html)

rebelBullDawg325 11-29-2006 06:26 PM

Christmas vs "holiday"

it's just kinda a pet peave of mine when people make it a point to say "holiday" instead of christmas. you constantly hear about companies and places that arent using the word christmas anymore and dont let scenes that actually depicet what christmas is really about participate in events ( i heard on CNN where a "holiday" fair kicked out a nativity scene. how ridiculous is that? as you can tell i personally favor we call it christmas. i mean, if you think about it. the people calling it as simply "holiday" or "the holiday season" what holiday do you think they're refering to? DUH, christmas....rant off

Griz 11-29-2006 07:12 PM

I agree that the majority of people celabrate Christmas but you also have Haunaka and Kwanza and New Years. It all has to do with being politically correct. I hate being politically correct. I never mean to offend anyone but if I say Merry Christmas just take it as a seasonal greeting and don't get your panties in a bunch. No Offence :rolleyes:

amy 11-29-2006 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griz (Post 33830)
I agree that the majority of people celabrate Christmas but you also have Haunaka and Kwanza and New Years. It all has to do with being politically correct. I hate being politically correct. I never mean to offend anyone but if I say Merry Christmas just take it as a seasonal greeting and don't get your panties in a bunch. No Offence :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more!

mrbigjeep 11-29-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebelBullDawg325 (Post 33825)
it's just kinda a pet peave of mine when people make it a point to say "holiday" instead of christmas. you constantly hear about companies and places that arent using the word christmas anymore and dont let scenes that actually depicet what christmas is really about participate in events ( i heard on CNN where a "holiday" fair kicked out a nativity scene. how ridiculous is that? as you can tell i personally favor we call it christmas. i mean, if you think about it. the people calling it as simply "holiday" or "the holiday season" what holiday do you think they're refering to? DUH, christmas....rant off

i like saying Christmas. after all, it is about CHRIST. Christmas

tiny terror 11-29-2006 09:12 PM

There are lots of holidays, lots of faiths. When I say Merry Christmas, I'm not saying it to diminish another religion. When someone says Happy Holidays, they don't diminish mine. It's so easy to look for insults, but when you really look, it's harder to actually find them.

amerijeep 11-29-2006 09:48 PM

Doesn't bother me at all. If someone wishes you a happy holiday, merry Christmas, happy whatever, it's all good. How can anyone be upset when someone wishes them well?

There are more important things to worry about. I'm somewhat a christian, I guess, though not active in any church, but I find no offense in "happy holidays" of even "happy Hannukah". If I misspelled the jewish holiday, I apologize. I did go to school in Mississippi.

rebelBullDawg325 11-29-2006 09:56 PM

i'm not saying i get offended by people saying happy holidays.... it's more of, it bothers me when people go out of their way to make sure it's just "holiday" and not christmas

amerijeep 11-29-2006 10:11 PM

How is it that people go out of their way? I'm not trying to argue, just understand what you mean. If someone wishes you a happy holiday, they have already gone out of their way for you. I can't take offense, I guess, when someone offers me pleasentries.

amy 11-29-2006 10:44 PM

I think what RBD is talking about is when people get offended when you specifically say "Merry Christmas." They want it to be a generic, politically correct greeting instead of just accepting the greeting as the wellwishes it is. It has to be their way or it's wrong.

I may be mistaken but that's what I got from his posts.

amerijeep 11-29-2006 11:01 PM

I don't see the problem with one simple greeting. I don't know what faith every person I see is. Don't care either.

I think people view it as ignoring Christianity, but I have to disagree. It's a wishing someone a "happy whatever-the-heck-you-believe". Nothing wrong with that, imo.

I find things offensive at Walmart, but not how the old guy at the door greets me. It bothers me how they treat everyone as if they are guilty of something when you leave with your purchases.

tiny terror 11-29-2006 11:13 PM

I have to admit, it annoys me that my littlest is not part of a holiday program anymore. His school has replaced it with a "Celebrating our Solar System" program so that no one will be offended.

So, instead of singing "Silver Bells" we'll be listening to "Interplanet Jam". That bugs me, but not the happy holidays thing. Ever since I was little I've heard happy holidays and it was a way of including new years in the mix.

I'm not big into PC though. I tend to blurt out exactly what I'm thinking. :D Surprised aren't you?

Odhinn 11-30-2006 01:48 AM

I guess I tend to call it the holiday season or happy holidays from Thanksgiving through new years and generally around a week or so before the actual day start to wish a Merry Christmas/happy Thanksgiving/happy Newyear. No PC on my part just the way I was raised. I do have to agree that PC is out of control in our society.

Odhinn

Texapple 11-30-2006 06:45 AM

Since I live in an ethnic melting pot of cultures.....I see this a lot. I don't intentionally mean to offend someone with whatever greeting I offer.....however if it's the "wrong" greeting I would hope they don't have thin skin and be insulted.

Smile & be happy. :)

kg4kpg 11-30-2006 08:08 AM

I'll give a different angle. I'm not religeous. I don't care what greeting people use but I don't like it being regulated. I grew up Baptist, have read and studied the bible and it just doesn't do anything for me. A great novel. I do , however, have the upmost respect for your (anyones) right to believe what they want and out of courtesy bow my head when a public prayer is said. I would never infringe on anyones freedom of religion, so long as it doesn't cause a conflict in the workplace. I do get pissed when someone pushes their belief on me even after I say I'm not interested in listening. I've heard it all over the years, you can't tell me anything different other than your own interpretation. I believe our country was built on christian beliefs and has adapted over the years to include many different faiths. Too much is being done these days to "not offend" people, it is disturbing and just as offensive. I enjoy Christmas as a time to be with family. I don't believe but just like everyone else, I can't explain where we come from. I say Merry Christmas. If you want to reply with Happy Hunakah (sp) or happy Kwanza then so be it, I hope you enjoy yours as well.

Blwndr83 11-30-2006 09:06 AM

Jesus is the reason for the season!!!!

I say Merry Christmas to everyone, I dont care who I insult cause thats what i say, I believe strongly in Jesus/Christ being the reason for the whole season...

These people get carried away with taking things out or away from where they belong and always have been.

mrbigjeep 11-30-2006 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blwndr83 (Post 33915)
Jesus is the reason for the season!!!!

I say Merry Christmas to everyone, I dont care who I insult cause thats what i say, I believe strongly in Jesus/Christ being the reason for the whole season...

These people get carried away with taking things out or away from where they belong and always have been.

you said it!!!

if i think about it i guess it really isn't bad for them to wish me a happy holiday because they are wishing me a good time which is great but i definitely like to hear merry christmas because its all about Jesus.

rebelBullDawg325 11-30-2006 09:23 PM

amy was right. it's not the fact that people say happy holidy that offends me, bc like i siad i say it myself. but when people (and companies) make sure to say holiday instead of christmas bc it may offend people. when people go "holiday shopping" we all know that christmas shopping is meant. it's just annoying that people go out of their way to make sure the word holiday is used instead of christmas

amerijeep 11-30-2006 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blwndr83 (Post 33915)
I say Merry Christmas to everyone, I dont care who I insult cause thats what i say

I don't mean any offense, but this is statement is just plain out there.... Anyone who thinks like this is really part of the problem, imo.

I definetly am not PC and am very conservative. However, I do believe in simple courtesy to everyone and their beliefs. That's why I am backing out of this thread. I think there are some closed minds here and I will respect your right to be abrasive.

mrbigjeep 11-30-2006 10:12 PM

i don't see why "merry christmas" would be an insult though

tiny terror 11-30-2006 10:14 PM

It's not that merry christmas is an insult. It's that happy holidays isn't. We live in a world that has a multitude of faiths. Christmas is one of several holidays celebrated this time of year, including Jewish and a pagan holiday. The season is about Jesus for some, but not for all.

amerijeep 11-30-2006 10:17 PM

I agree with you, bigjeep. I don't see why it would be either. Also, I don't see why "Happy Holidays" is an insult either. The entire idea of anyone being upset from a holiday well-wisher is ludicrous. For a retail store to make it policy for it's staff to simply use the phrase "Happy Holidays" is not meant to offend anyone and they have never said that they thought "Merry Christmas" was offensive. It is just a simple and broad greeting that covers several holidays at once.

amerijeep 11-30-2006 10:18 PM

Thanks, tiny. I see that you "get it".

mrbigjeep 11-30-2006 10:25 PM

i gotcha. i don't think they mean harm when they say "happy holidays" and its great when they say it. but like i said i really like "merry christmas" and i think its about christ but at least there wishing me a happy holiday.

i understand ya though. i believe strongly in Christ.

Tiburon 12-01-2006 10:01 AM

Just say Happy ChristmaHanaQuazika then you have all your bases covered.

I personally say Happy Holidays to people that I don't know. If I do know them I say Merry Chirstmas, like when I'm at church or with my friends and family, I do have a few Jewish friends as well and I tell them Happy Chanukah (the correct spelling BTW)

I've worked in a customer service for over 10 years and when its around this time of year I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say Merry Christmas to a customer and they've said 'I'm Jewish' or they were from the middle east and celibrated Quanza or something else. I don't feel its as much of an issue of being Politicaly Correct vs. being a Responsible Citizen, Unlike the movements like displaying another countries Flag above the ol' red white and blue (don't get me started on that). It's a matter of being informed enough to know that we live in a mixed society with different religions and different opinions. And its ok not to be the same and disagree, but its not ok to think that if everyone dosn't think like you they're wrong.

MouthfulOfGrass 12-01-2006 04:42 PM

Merry Christmas

Happy Holidays

Good 'nuff

Blwndr83 12-03-2006 07:40 PM

No matter how you look at it you are always going to "offend" someone somewhere!! That is just the way of the world.

my look on it (and it is completely my opinion) is that if I have to watch what I say cause I might offend someone with saying Merry Christmas than maybe others should watch what they say as far as cuss words cause they might be offending me :)

It's just a real touchy topic.

Triple88a 12-04-2006 10:51 PM

when some one in the store wishes you the "wrong holiday name" because of your religion it's the thought that counts isnt it?

amerijeep 12-04-2006 11:06 PM

yep.

Odhinn 12-05-2006 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 35244)
when some one in the store wishes you the "wrong holiday name" because of your religion it's the thought that counts isnt it?

This is very true. In todays society PC rules (and I can't stand it). Some people are so tense and stressed that they attack anything that doesn't jive with their beliefs. It also could be contributed to the attitude I have seen people exhibit, the "My life is miserable so I'm going to do everything possible to make everyone around me miserable" attitude. I am a Christain, celebrate Christmas and am not afraid to shout it out, but as Jesus tells me in the bible, I attempt (key word here because no one is perfect) to not judge others and value love and understanding over all else.

Odhinn 12-05-2006 05:58 AM

(I waited to long to edit this in)

Companies are also placed in an odd position with the laws and lawsuits running around so they have to cover their bases. very sad in my opinion.