one of my friends suggested it could be a bad switch i installed, i used a 15a switch to run 2 100w lights, could this be a reason my battery died?
01-01-2010 05:32 PM
Did you wire them up with relays?
01-01-2010 06:42 PM
If you just used the switch to control the main voltage to the lamps--that switch will not last long.. 200 Watts at 12 Volts is 16.666 amps.. Now if you used the switch to control relay switching -- it should be less than 2 amps normally--as the relay handles the load and not the switch. Always a general rule of thumb for electrical wiring is use hardware ( wiring, switches,etc) that is 25% above the load rating. If the lights where not on --I dont see why the battery would be dead--unless the switch failed during the nite and the lights came on drained the battery. Not sure what other circuit you may have tapped into draw the voltage from.
01-01-2010 06:55 PM
If you used a relay and you wired the coil up to the battery so it's always energized except when the lights are on (ie wired the main load to the normally closed pin/wired it up backwards), it may have drained the battery that way...not sure how much of a drain the relay coil has on a car battery though.