Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   CB antenna (stock tire carrier mounting) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/cb-antenna-stock-tire-carrier-mounting-42262.html)

mudslinger150 01-04-2010 02:01 PM

CB antenna (stock tire carrier mounting)

Thinking about drilling a hole in my stock tire carrier and mounting my antenna to it using the antenna mount i made....

I recently built a DIY ROKMEN rear bumper and had to eliminate my previous setup (pics below).

Now i want to mount from the tire carrier, what are my options and whats the best way to route my coax from a location on the tailgate.

Thanks

v v v Previous Setup v v v

mudslinger150 01-04-2010 02:03 PM

Also is a 4' firestik too long to mount on the tire carrier... I dont want to look like a dweeb

Mr. WOT 01-04-2010 02:54 PM

I like that bracket setup there. I need to do that to mine.

mudslinger150 01-04-2010 03:04 PM

I like how this guy mounted his, i could make something like this work for me....but he painted the mount all the way around and didn't grind either the tailgate or the mount for a good ground connection....should there be some grindage going on here..

Homemade Jeep CB Antenna Mount - Tire Carrier

Hensman 01-04-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudslinger150 (Post 516534)
I like how this guy mounted his, i could make something like this work for me....but he painted the mount all the way around and didn't grind either the tailgate or the mount for a good ground connection....should there be some grindage going on here..

Homemade Jeep CB Antenna Mount - Tire Carrier

I have been thinking about doing this one too, but I think he wanted somthing more like this one.

Homemade CB Antenna Mount for Jeep Tire Carrier

mudslinger150 01-05-2010 08:53 AM

is painted on painted good enough for a ground...

blkrubi88 01-05-2010 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's not a stock tire carrier, but you get the idea on what a 4ft Firestik antenna looks like mounted up higher!
Attachment 14240

mudslinger150 01-06-2010 11:17 AM

ooooooooooo :D thank you for the pic, thats not half bad...

mudslinger150 01-06-2010 11:19 AM

hmmmmmm, i wonder if mounting their with a hard top the antenna would whip back and break my glass...

JIMBOX 01-06-2010 11:38 AM

:eek: I mounted mine on the 3rd brake lite stalk and it's a 4' firestik

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

blkrubi88 01-06-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudslinger150 (Post 517923)
hmmmmmm, i wonder if mounting their with a hard top the antenna would whip back and break my glass...

It whips back and hits the wiper, doesn't really hit the window, if it does it's not hard enough to break it! Mine whips around alot because it's mounted on a spring.

domano 68 01-09-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 517935)
:eek: I mounted mine on the 3rd brake lite stalk and it's a 4' firestik

Nice!

mudslinger150 01-11-2010 09:27 AM

I'll have to post some pics up but i took the mount i had on my bumper and relocated it on my tire carrier. Looks sweet, very tall.. Idk why but my CB was getting SWR readings of 3.5 or more. I re configured my nylon washer from the top of my mount the to bottom and i am now in the 1.5 - 1.8 range. so it goes (antenna/lock washer/flat washer/metal antenna mount/ nylon washer/ stud mount.) Is that correct? i am gettin a great swr reading at this point, before i had my nylon washer above the antenna mount on the bottom....and would get a pegged swr meter.

antenna is the same setup as below except i have the nylone washer below the metal mount, with the flat washer touching the top of the mount. I get a 1.5-1.8 reading between 1 and 40. Is this a true or false reading....?

mudslinger150 01-11-2010 10:03 AM

....maybe this is causing a short situation and is why im still recieving a 1.5 reading but it is through the jeep, vs the antenna....

s3nt3nc3d 01-11-2010 10:36 AM

Looks like it should be...antenna, lock washer, washer, nylon washer, mount....so I think you're correct now. The nylon washer is your insulator and if I remember right, you want to prevent the antenna connection from grounding out on the mounting bracket.

JIMBOX 01-11-2010 11:13 AM

:eek: That nylon washer MUST have a rim (hole size) that protudes into the mounting hole and insures complete mounting stud/bolt, insulation from the metal mount

Nylon top and flat nylon/nonmetalic washer underneath

s3nt3nc3d 01-11-2010 11:32 AM

There's a way you ohm out the cable to make sure it's installed properly...you're actually supposed to do that BEFORE you install the antenna so you don't screw up any components in your cb. I tried to look for it, but I couldn't find it. I'm thinking Firestik's site has it in an article somewhere.

According to one article I found online...easiest way to check for a short is to use an ohm meter between the cb antenna mount and the center pin on the cable. If you get any continuity, your antenna is shorted (meaning your washers aren't installed in the correct order).

mudslinger150 01-11-2010 12:17 PM

Sentenced - the picture above is not how the antenna is setup now. They nylon washer on top (in the picture) is now on the bottom, below the mount.

but i recieve a 1.5 - 1.8 reading with my swr....

By the book this is not mounted correctly, but it seems to be working....

Jimbox - from what you are saying, maybe i should bore out my hole a little bigger to insure the stud isn't touching the metal mount. And if possible to add another nylon or rubber washer below the mount and move the nylon washer back to its original position. That way i have a nylon nut on top and a nylon nut on the bottom, and my antenna is not touching the mount (for sure) because i bored a bigger hole.

JIMBOX 01-11-2010 12:24 PM

:eek: Yea, a nylon FLAT washer top/bottom won't work (maybe) the top washer should be able to KEEP the antenna shaft, from EVER touching either side of the mtg hole

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudslinger150 (Post 521456)
Sentenced - the picture above is not how the antenna is setup now. They nylon washer on top (in the picture) is now on the bottom, below the mount.

but i recieve a 1.5 - 1.8 reading with my swr....

By the book this is not mounted correctly, but it seems to be working....

Jimbox - from what you are saying, maybe i should bore out my hole a little bigger to insure the stud isn't touching the metal mount. And if possible to add another nylon or rubber washer below the mount and move the nylon washer back to its original position. That way i have a nylon nut on top and a nylon nut on the bottom, and my antenna is not touching the mount (for sure) because i bored a bigger hole.

Go to radio/Radio shack shop and have the (technition) (?) show you what I'm talking about and they will also have the special nylon bi-level washers for just that purpose !!

:punk::punk: JIMBO

mudslinger150 01-11-2010 12:41 PM

i understand what you mean about bi level washers, i think that is an awsome idea. But what i never knew about was not letting the antenna stud touch the mounting hole. So i will put the nylon washer back in the correct locatioin, bore out my hole a bit bigger and see if i can get the stud not the touch the mount.

I bet when i was running into issues before that stud was touching my mounting hole, it was something i wasn't watching out for, and didn't know to look out for....

JIMBOX 01-11-2010 01:33 PM

:) Good luck, but remember, you'll need a non-conductive washer ABOVE and BELOW, you don't want the nut/washer touching the mount either

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudslinger150 (Post 521472)
i understand what you mean about bi level washers, i think that is an awsome idea. But what i never knew about was not letting the antenna stud touch the mounting hole. So i will put the nylon washer back in the correct locatioin, bore out my hole a bit bigger and see if i can get the stud not the touch the mount.

I bet when i was running into issues before that stud was touching my mounting hole, it was something i wasn't watching out for, and didn't know to look out for....

Be careful, you can burn out the CB output circuits by transmitting with a grounded antenna

:banghead::banghead: JIMBO