Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Gas spilling out

10K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  Jwolfer 
#1 ·
This happens to me just about every time I fill up (which we all know is rather often)...If I forget to stop the pump it clicks off just as it fills the tank and shoots gas out all over the rear corner of my jeep.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, do I just need to stop forgetting and stop the pump myself?

Thanks, D

#3 ·
It's a brilliant Jeep design, I think. The new work Wranglers do it, my Grand Cherokee does that, my CJ is horrible. My WJ has a permanent stain on that plastic piece below the gas filler. I prefer to think of it as character.

Of course, it never happens on my Honda.

#5 ·
i can't afford for gas to spill out, i look like the ppl in mad max soaking it up with rags, lol, jk, ya it happens to me to, it either quits while its half full or runs over, idk one of those things i guess, combo of gas pump, or that stupid rubber peice around the nozzle not fitting in the gas cap hole, who knows.

#7 ·
I don't have a problem with my LJ TJ doing it, but my GF's KJ does it every time too.
Tried different pumps at different stations and it still does it. :banghead:

#8 ·
:p Welcome to the Jeep community, where half the of the Jeep's fuel tank apparently is all over the gas stations pavement.

What the problem is, is a kinked gas line that runs from the cap to the fuel tank. I don't know specifics, but there are two lines that you need to change and run about $65 together from the dealership. You drop the fuel tank (replace the pump while you're down there, or clean the screen out), and then replace the lines. Make sure that you burn all the gas before dropping the tank. Just throw a match in your gas tank :firedevil: (jk, please don't sue me)

It's a very common problem in Jeeps that are lifted.

If you think that's a pain filling it yourself, try having it happen in NJ where everywhere is full service, and you have to get out, explain the situation, watch them still try to fill it, offer to help them, be told you're not allowed, watch them still try to fill it, off to help them, and then finally sit there hand pumping it for the next 20 minutes.

I once had a guy pull up behind me, I waved him over to let him know he'd be waiting a minute. After ten minutes he got out of his car and goes "What's the ****in problem, first time filling your tank?" :zap:

#9 ·
What burton maybe saying is true, but from all the other threads ive read, it hasnt been whether or not it has been lifted (though I did notice this problem when I got my lift) But simply a random problem among jeepers. Theres tons of threads on it and some people have gotten their Gas Tank switched out fully under warranty, some had success, others had the problem return.

What people have done to mitigate this is to stop sequentially while filling up the tank, like if you have an empty tank, go to 1/4 stop, then go to 1/2 and stop, then 3/4 stop and then fill it up. People say it is due to the sensor in the gas tank which is unable to detect how full it is due to the air bubble which is created inside possibly due to the kink Burton was talking about.

But you just reminded me, I need to take my jeep into the dealership

#24 ·
My '01 hasn't ever spit the gas out, but sure is a pain to be filled to the very top. First time I've seen this topic considering several of you say there are a bunch of them here.

Just what I've thought all the time too, is that there is to much of a bend in gas line or a permanent air bubble in the tank. I always set the lock on gas nozzle to first click and it get's it pretty close to full before kicking off. If I really slowly squeeze every drop into tank, I can usually get a couple more dollars worth in it.

Glad to know it's not just my Jeep!!

#18 ·
My TJ does it every time too, and it's not lifted. Last time I think I slowed the nozzle down (put it on the first lock) and it shut off. I'll be checking that vent hose next time I get underneath it. I bought the Jeep about 2 months ago, '06 with 17k miles on it. (I've only filled it 3 times so far)

#26 ·
I had this problem on my 06 LJ. After a couple visits to a couple dealers, one finally fixed the problem. He said they had to replace the "rollover valve"- which is in the tank from what I understand. He said if you fill up with gas and try to pump more gas in (round up to the next $) it can mess that up so that gas will shoot out after it is full.

They replaced mine and he told me when the pump shuts off- stop filling up. Not a problem since.

Hope this helps

#27 ·
I’m hoping for another push to get the TJs included for extended gas tank warranties like the ’07 &’08 JKs recently got. I have over 325 handles of TJ owners that have complained of fuel spill out when they fill up. These come from the various threads on various forums. Some have filed complaints, some I’m sure haven’t. Let’s all file or re-file. I will continue to add to my list.

If anyone has this problem but has not posted, please do so. We need to know how many TJs are actually having this problem. I know there are always suggestions for work-arounds but please don’t post them here. We want to actually get this resolved.

To help spread the word, I made up some business size cards & carry several everywhere I go. Anytime I see a TJ in a parking lot, I leave one on the windshield. It just asks them if they are having this problem & if so directs them to one of these forums. I hope others will do the same.

The most discouraging thing is that Chrysler has more than doubled the price of replacement tanks. If anyone can verify that they have improved or redesigned the inlet check valve (ICV) let me know. It was supposed to have happened in Feb.

Check valve (ICV) manufactured by Alfmeier.

Also worth noting that while the ’03-’06 TJ tank now lists for $914.00 (last previous price I could find was $427.00), the JK tank lists for $192.00 (2dr) & $265.00 (4dr). All from mopar-wholesale.com (their prices are $630.20, $132.25, & $182.85 respectively)

..and here is the PART NUMBER to the latest Fuel Tank:

52059617-AG COST: $341.60 RETAIL: $427.00

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
52059617AG $914.00 $0.00 $630.20
Fuel system - Fuel system components - Fuel tank
Fuel tank - 2003-06 2005 - 2006

52059718AH $192.00 $0.00 $132.25
Fuel system - Fuel system components - Fuel tank - 2 door
2 door 2010 - 2011

52059729AG $265.00 $0.00 $182.85
Fuel system - Fuel system components - Fuel tank - 4 door
4 door 2009 – 2010

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.