Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   stupid skid plate (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/stupid-skid-plate-42543.html)

morphious 01-10-2010 11:40 AM

stupid skid plate

so my skid plate has a hole in it. and not only that but i cant get the stupid bolts to come out of the frame.:banghead: any ideas before i just give up and take her into the shop and get it done.:confused:

89PBR96 01-10-2010 11:43 AM

I had to soak mine for a day and they finally came out be careful because the bolts go into the frame rail another bad design

morphious 01-10-2010 11:48 AM

yeah i know i did research on the thing but i don't know if just pb blaster is going to cover it. i put the impact on um yesterday and no good didn't budge at all i was thinking heat but i dont have a torch.

89PBR96 01-10-2010 11:54 AM

I used a breaker bar and a 16 inch cheater bar to break them loose then the air impact Heat wold work pretty good what about a little bottle torch propane kind

morphious 01-10-2010 11:55 AM

yeah i have a small propane torch but will that get it hot enough with out using an entire bottle for one bolt

89PBR96 01-10-2010 11:57 AM

Not sure I have used it for things kinda like that but to take out all I'm not positive can you get any of them to move a little

RednekYJ 01-10-2010 01:12 PM

Using Mapp gas will heat things up better and you can use the propane tip. I would say start soaking them and let them soak for a good day or 2. If you really have to do it now then alternate soaking and heating for a few minutes and try the impact again. Using a breakerbar you are more likely to break the welds on the nuts rather than getting them out.

copleydad 01-10-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RednekYJ (Post 520697)
Using Mapp gas will heat things up better and you can use the propane tip. I would say start soaking them and let them soak for a good day or 2. If you really have to do it now then alternate soaking and heating for a few minutes and try the impact again. Using a breakerbar you are more likely to break the welds on the nuts rather than getting them out.

^^^^^Yep! I learned these lessons!^^^^^^^^^

PB Blaster........use lots.......be patient..........cheaper than therapy and easier than frustration.

morphious 01-10-2010 01:58 PM

yeah i'm going to soak it to day and try again tomorrow who knows might get lucky

j.amrol 01-10-2010 04:16 PM

have you tried tightening them then reversing them out?
I've occasionally had luck with that.

cheapjeep71 01-10-2010 04:22 PM

I broke the welds on the capture nut on one & broke the bolt off in the frame on another. Talk about a sucky day. The one that was just spinning I ended up cutting the head off them knocking the rest out of the way down the frame. The other I took a drill & floor jack & used it as a drill press. I then tapped the hole. What a HUGE pain in the butt!!

scott howard 01-10-2010 04:45 PM

A drill and floor jack = drill press .

It is a Jeep thing and others will never understand.

I love being a Jeeper

Don't give up on it and take it to a shop they will only charge you to do what your doing yourself . It may take a couple days of soaking but soaking and a impact will do it.

morphious 01-10-2010 05:07 PM

yeah i know guys they will only charge me for stuff i can do. just sucks cause it takes so long for me to get a day off i have to cram everything into a short amount of time.

kik 01-10-2010 05:18 PM

Thanks to this forum I was able to get them off with only one bolt breaking.1. Soaked with pb blaster. 2. slightly tightened with an impact wrench first. 3.removed.

morphious 01-10-2010 05:19 PM

yeah i sprayed them once today i figure a coat after i get done watching the game and a coat in the morning and i might give it another try

bwilburn 01-10-2010 07:16 PM

Hear is my story. Got 2 out off the bat with inpact. 2 more after wd40 soak. one more after pb blast. last one was a mother. pb blast and propane torch. Heat and soak had to repeat 3 times did it once at night and let it soak over night and the next day did the heat and soak thing twice used a breaker bar with 2' pipe and thank god success. take it slow good luck.

95riogrande 01-10-2010 11:14 PM

I got lucky when I removed mine I got all but one. I just used an impact gun. I feel with a breaker bar you put alot of force just on the head of the bolt. I did break one off it was one of the center bolts. I figured it would be fine since it still had five left. I was happy with only one breaking with no fight from the others. I cleaned the threads and used some wheel bearing grease when I re-installed them. I have taken them out a couple times now no problems with just a breaker bar. I just make sure to re-torque them.

morphious 01-11-2010 10:47 AM

wel i have to do it myself now all the shops are telling me to not get my hopes up and their all booked for like a week at least oh well time to start buying pb blaster, by the barrel load

baja 01-11-2010 11:29 AM

Future reference

1 Attachment(s)
super good stuff!

morphious 01-11-2010 11:33 AM

yeah that's going on when i put those suckers back in I'm just hoping that i can get the s.o.b's to come out. oh well i guess i would rather deal with it now then in a mouth when i get my lift.

baja 01-11-2010 11:38 AM

Gotta show that skidplate/scoop shovel who's boss!

morphious 01-11-2010 11:53 AM

yeah well so far the thing is more trouble then its worth and it kicked the crap out of my impact gun though

baja 01-11-2010 12:11 PM

You'll get it.The more beer you drink the more ideas you'll come up with!

whitebuffalo 01-11-2010 12:19 PM

i've used road flares for heat with success before.

also, get some string and wrap it around the bolt, then soak the string in pb blaster. itll hold the liquid on there longer than just spraying it and letting it drip off

baja 01-11-2010 12:33 PM

The buster

3 Attachment(s)
Best stuff I have ever used for seized up bolts and nuts.:)

Pylonpounder 01-11-2010 12:45 PM

:hijacked: Sorry :P But while we are on the topic...almost every bolt on my skidplate just spins without coming out, which means the welds on the captured nuts are broken....any ideas on what I should do if I need to remove it?

baja 01-11-2010 12:55 PM

Break out the hot wrench and cut them off.You will have to address this problem eventually.

RedWrangler 01-11-2010 01:05 PM

A less flammable alternative is to use an angle grinder. But, you still need to devise a remounting strategy if you are planning to reinstall it or a new one.

morphious 01-11-2010 01:13 PM

oh i know the answer to this one. u will have to cut the bolt and push the bolt up into the frame. and then reinsert the new nuts they sell them on line just look around. and then u will need to wield in the new nuts and Ur good to go.and that's a god idea on the string i would have not thought of that.

baja 01-11-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphious (Post 521451)
oh i know the answer to this one. u will have to cut the bolt and push the bolt up into the frame. and then reinsert the new nuts they sell them on line just look around. and then u will need to wield in the new nuts and Ur good to go.and that's a god idea on the string i would have not thought of that.

Very very good grasshopper:punk: