Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Transfer case fluid change (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/transfer-case-fluid-change-42578.html)

Hensman 01-10-2010 10:44 PM

Transfer case fluid change
 
I have a 2005 unlimited with 61,000 on the clock. I think its time to change out the fluid and was wondering how much fluid it takes and also if ATF-3 or ATF-4 is better. Thanks for the help!

distortedtj 01-11-2010 12:56 AM

1.2 liters...2.5 pints.

I use Mobil 1 ATF.

Schmo 01-11-2010 01:27 AM

I'm in the same boat and have been doing some research! The FSM says that the NV231 and the NV241 both take ATF + 4 . . . the NV231 only takes 1.0 L (2.2 pts) the NV241 takes 2.0 L (4.2 pts)

Quick Question . . . I have a 2006 Rubi Manual 6 Speed Tranny and 4:1 TC . . . Which TC do I have NV231 or NV241 . . . and which Tranny do I have? The FSM I have is from 2004 so it shows the NV1500 and NV3550, but I don't think they had the 6 speed in 2004 so I'm not sure if mine needs something different. Thanks!

distortedtj 01-11-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmo (Post 521195)
I'm in the same boat and have been doing some research! The FSM says that the NV231 and the NV241 both take ATF + 4 . . . the NV231 only takes 1.0 L (2.2 pts) the NV241 takes 2.0 L (4.2 pts)

Quick Question . . . I have a 2006 Rubi Manual 6 Speed Tranny and 4:1 TC . . . Which TC do I have NV231 or NV241 . . . and which Tranny do I have? The FSM I have is from 2004 so it shows the NV1500 and NV3550, but I don't think they had the 6 speed in 2004 so I'm not sure if mine needs something different. Thanks!

RUBICON = NV241 only.

:wavey:

Your 6 speed is a NSG370...

Click link for trans specs...
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/tj-t...ecs-26347.html

Hensman 01-11-2010 06:21 PM

Ok, thanks guys.

Jerry Bransford 01-11-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 521168)
1.2 liters...2.5 pints.

I use Mobil 1 ATF.

That's fine for the transfer case that is happy with nearly any type of good quality ATF. Just don't use that particular ATF in any of the Jeep automatic transmissions. :)

distortedtj 01-11-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 521798)
That's fine for the transfer case that is happy with nearly any type of good quality ATF. Just don't use that particular ATF in any of the Jeep automatic transmissions. :)

Agreed "about the transmissions".

231's TC's in any vehicle aren't picky about the ATF you put in it. Any name brand ATF+4 will work just fine.

Jerry Bransford 01-12-2010 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 521983)
231's TC's in any vehicle aren't picky about the ATF you put in it. Any name brand ATF+4 will work just fine.

The t-case doesn't require ATF+4 even when the owner's manual specifies it. To keep things simple, the factory simply specifies the same ATF for the transfer case that the transmission actually requires. Only the automatic transmission is actually fussy about the type of ATF it gets where the transfer case is not. Like Mercon ATF... none of the Jeep automatics can use Mercon ATF but the transfer case would run just fine on it. :)

Schmo 01-12-2010 11:14 AM

What about the 6 Speed Manual Tranny (NSG370) . . . what type of oil does it take? All the information I've found is for the older manuals and they seem to call for Mopar Manual Trans Lube . . . would the 6 speed take the same? Anybody know how much the 6 speed takes too?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.