Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Tire size (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tire-size-4258.html)

iamagolfspaz 12-03-2006 05:18 PM

Tire size

Hello all and good day.
Just purchased a Wrangler X and i would like to put new tires on.It came with P215 75 R 15 and i would like to put a taller tire on it.Any help would be great. Maybe have to get new rims and tires?Or can i use the stock rims. :confused:

bluvikng 12-03-2006 06:26 PM

If you stay with a 8" width, you can keep your same rims, and go up to a 31" tire. If you want to go wider, you need to get rims with more back spacing, so you don't rub.

Welcome to the WF!!!!!!!!

mrbigjeep 12-03-2006 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluvikng (Post 34781)
If you stay with a 8" width, you can keep your same rims, and go up to a 31" tire. If you want to go wider, you need to get rims with more back spacing, so you don't rub.

Welcome to the WF!!!!!!!!

actually you'll need wheels with less backspacing. i think blu knew that but he made a typo.

31's will clear fine and you can get a 8" wide wheel (steelies are cheap and look sweet) or you can keep the stock wheel but you may get some rubbing on the control arms when you turn the steering wheel

iamagolfspaz 12-04-2006 02:09 PM

Thanks for the answers.Just got the 30 inch Wrangler MT/R put on. Dang those tires are expensive lol.Glad that new credit card came in the mail.

Mike001 12-04-2006 03:39 PM

Would 33's look bad with a 4.5 in RE lift?

mrbigjeep 12-04-2006 04:43 PM

nah. but most people that run 33's with a 4.5" are the extreme rock crawlers because they need all the flex they can get. 35's would be better with that lift. especially since the 4.5 can net over 5 inches of lift. and you don't want to get your COG too high. anyway, i think 35's would look better but 33's wouldn't look bad.

MR.CLIFFORD 12-04-2006 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeep (Post 35066)
nah. but most people that run 33's with a 4.5" are the extreme rock crawlers because they need all the flex they can get. 35's would be better with that lift. especially since the 4.5 can net over 5 inches of lift. and you don't want to get your COG too high. anyway, i think 35's would look better but 33's wouldn't look bad.

amount of lift does not determine amount of flex ;)

mrbigjeep 12-04-2006 04:45 PM

good point. i guess i should have said it gives more clearance for the rock crawlers. plus it should come with longer shocks for more travel.

Mike001 12-05-2006 02:59 PM

Well when I ordered it it said that 35's would rub w/o 1" bodylift. I'm offroad alot but I like takin it on vacation to since our grand cherokee can't really wheel for s**t.

Scoob 12-05-2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeep (Post 35069)
plus it should come with longer shocks for more travel.

If your shocks are what is limiting your travel, your lift is not set up right.

Mike001 12-05-2006 04:13 PM

I have longer shocks for it. Now I'm really gonna have to wait the rear pinion seal is leaking and there is a vibration. It feels like binding. There is also a chirp coming from the trany. I think it could be the throwout bearing. And something pops when I take off and when I shift. I figured I would have alll of that fixed before I void the warranty.

mrbigjeep 12-05-2006 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 35387)
If your shocks are what is limiting your travel, your lift is not set up right.

i didn't say my shocks did limit my travel.

but lets think. if you have a 2" lift with stock shocks and you have a 2" lift with aftermarket shocks of the correct length you are obvioulsy going to get more travel with the new shocks because its allowing the axle to droop further (but the shocks won't necessarily be limiting the travel)

Scoob 12-05-2006 09:05 PM

Why on earth would you put on shocks that are 2" to short on any lift? Even the cheesy BB's that re-use your stock shocks come with a new mount for them. Sounds like your just making up examples to fill in for your lack of knowledge.

mrbigjeep 12-05-2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 35484)
Why on earth would you put on shocks that are 2" to short on any lift? Even the cheesy BB's that re-use your stock shocks come with a new mount for them. Sounds like your just making up examples to fill in for your lack of knowledge.

sounds like your a _______ that hasn't seen the tons of people running stock shocks with BB's because they can't afford new shocks.

the reason they use stock shocks is because not everybody buys a complete BB with the shock extensions. some people will buy the spacers only.

stupid i know. why use stock shocks with 2 inches of lift. my point was that longer shocks will give more travel (but not necessarily being the limiting factor.)

Scoob 12-05-2006 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeep (Post 35486)
sounds like your a _______ that hasn't seen the tons of people running stock shocks with BB's because they can't afford new shocks.

the reason they use stock shocks is because not everybody buys a complete BB with the shock extensions. some people will buy the spacers only.

stupid i know. why use stock shocks with 2 inches of lift. my point was that longer shocks will give more travel (but not necessarily being the limiting factor.)

Which just proves the point I was making, If your shocks are limiting your travel your lift is not set up right.
You post allot, you just don't know allot. You simply repeat everything you hear not knowing what is fact or fiction because you have no real world experience with any of it.

mrbigjeep 12-05-2006 09:39 PM

yeah you defintely know all right! hahaha.

i was unlifted and lifted. if it proves the point you were making then that means i'm right. sorry if i misunderstood your post or something but your saying i have no knowledge but your sayin that what i'm saying is provin what you said. does this make sense? i dont think so. i'm glad you think i don't know "allot" hahaha, you can't even spell! :D

Scoob 12-05-2006 09:58 PM

Turn it around as many times as you like, all comes out the same. You should stick to backspacing questions because beyond that you dont know squat. Your post count might fool some noobs into thinking you know what your talking about. but all you really know is " a friend has" or "I read somewhere".

Texapple 12-05-2006 10:04 PM

bigjeephttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/stop.gif Scoob

let it go fellows.....you can have a difference of opinion and keep it from getting personal

mrbigjeep 12-05-2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoob (Post 35501)
Turn it around as many times as you like, all comes out the same. You should stick to backspacing questions because beyond that you dont know squat. Your post count might fool some noobs into thinking you know what your talking about. but all you really know is " a friend has" or "I read somewhere".

well i got ya. you couldn't even prove i turned it around. my dog could see that. you said that i proved what you were saying which means i was saying the same as you. how is that turning it around when its the same. you just don't want to admit i'm right. don't insult me and tell me i know nothing. you wouldn't know at all. i know more then you think and i have more experience then you think.

im done texapple

amerijeep 12-05-2006 10:48 PM

Thread closed. All you had to do was let it go. Talk to Kyle or Donny if you want it back open.