Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Installing Mesh Grill Screen on 10 Rubicon (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/installing-mesh-grill-screen-on-10-rubicon-42748.html)

kik 01-14-2010 08:02 AM

Installing Mesh Grill Screen on 10 Rubicon

10 Rubicon has arrived and I purchased a black mesh stainless steel grill screen. Directions seem pretty straight forward about removing the front grille except for the "relocation" of an air sensor, if there is one, located at the bottom part of the grille. Has anyone done this mod. and any suggestions other than take my time and be careful not to scratch anything. Is it that easy to remove the grille as they indicate? Thanks for the help.

PecosRiver 01-14-2010 08:55 AM

Where did you get the screen? I do a huge amount of rural driving and have killed more birds than I care to remember and I hate pulling their tiny little corpses from my radiator. This screen sounds like the perfect solution.

kik 01-14-2010 09:04 AM

From Quadratec. Metalcrafters black mesh stainless steel grill screen. A little expensive at 289.00, but it's a nice screen that fits behind the grill.

RaiderRUBICON 01-14-2010 12:54 PM

PECOSRIVER envy you?? seruously? We are all fans of the JK wrangler in this forum. But we are not all hillbillies!!!!!! enjoy your wrangler. :)

PecosRiver 01-14-2010 03:56 PM

I live at 6300 feet and my place borders the Santa Fe National Forest and having lived in the western suburbs of Chicago for 40 years, I can tell you and anyone reading this that Oak Brook has no 4 wheeling allowed. You better envy me!

Or you could drive out and we could go trail riding together.

kik 01-14-2010 04:02 PM

What happened to helping me with the grill?

steam 01-15-2010 04:51 PM

The Metal Crafters is worth every penny. I brought some hideous grill device on E Bay, it had vertical pieces that had to be tye wrapped to each slot! Ghastly device it had stick on tyre holders!..You get what you pay for.

The Metal Crafter is a well made single unit that keeps bugs and stones away from the radiator.

kik 01-15-2010 06:27 PM

Thanks for the response. It is made very well and being behind the grill it's going to look great. I found a shop that's going to install it. I probably woudn't have too hard a time with it, but they've done it before so I'm not going to risk it since it's right out of the box.

bubba2u 01-15-2010 07:34 PM

can you send it back? only reason is because plenty of people have gone to home depot and bought gutter screen for like $30 and used zip ties to mount it.

kik 01-16-2010 07:39 AM

Only if I want a new 10 Rubi to look like. Do I have to say it?

DakotaBuck 04-13-2010 04:47 PM

Kik,
Is that the same grill sold here? or is this another guy selling knock offs?

the photos look the same. Please post some picts when you get it installed. I've been thinking about getting the same one

kik 04-13-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DakotaBuck (Post 597502)
Kik,
Is that the same grill sold here? or is this another guy selling knock offs?

the photos look the same. Please post some picts when you get it installed. I've been thinking about getting the same one

It looks like the same one that I have behind my grill. They indicate that it's black powder coated stainlless steel, which the one I have is. Is it the same overall quality as Metal Crafters, I don't know. Again, looks the same in their photo as it does on my Rubi right down to the Flame Red. You gotta make the call on this one.

Bennny 04-13-2010 06:41 PM

I've wanted to do this for a while, but those grilles are wayyy too expensive for what they are. I wonder if theres a link to a diy Home Depot one.

Private 04-13-2010 11:52 PM

Do it yourself Grille

Does anyone know where you can buy some of this wire mesh material that one may be able to make their own grille?

J.B. 04-14-2010 07:22 AM

I bought my Rampage grill here It is premolded so it fits INTO the slots for a better look IMO. It was fairly easy to install by drilling 4 holes in the plastic grille, which are hidden from view.

The Rube 04-14-2010 10:27 AM

+1 for the Rampage

I have the Rampage black powder coated mesh grill on my '10.

1 piece, easy to install & looks great.

I did not have to remove or relocate the air sensor that the o.p.(kik) was mentioning.

sheim911rs 04-14-2010 11:19 AM

I installed this grill on my '10 Sahara....it's easy and looks great. Relocating the temp sensor is no big deal. If you want to upgrade headlights this is the time to do that as well. I got an adapter from Delta Lights that connects to the factory wiring and then plugs into any H4 headlight....I got the Hella lights. good luck

oakdale bob 04-15-2010 05:36 PM

Since many people seem to be interested in making and installing a screen on their JK(by the way, does ANYONE know what the JK stands for???) Does anyone have the installation sheet from a pre-made one, so us frugal jeepers can see how it's done??? Thanks....:crash:

oakdale bob 04-19-2010 10:52 PM

JB,thanks-

Just ordered the Rampage screen guard, I've been looking for something that didn't look like an add-on. I've only had TJ's 'til now, so they mounted on the outside,(weren't that attractive, or as durable as this looks). Of course they weren't $200.00 bucks either. Thanks again for the tip!!! :crash:

J.B. 04-20-2010 06:26 AM

Your Welcome Bob! I really like the looks of mine plus the extra protection for the radiator fins. :)

daggo66 04-20-2010 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oakdale bob (Post 599398)
by the way, does ANYONE know what the JK stands for???)

For the love of god let it go! Your following post said that you've owned TJ's so you must be aware that the designation is just that, a designation. It's not an abbreviation for anything.

DakotaBuck 04-20-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennny (Post 597591)
I've wanted to do this for a while, but those grilles are wayyy too expensive for what they are. I wonder if theres a link to a diy Home Depot one.

Mesh Grill Mod.....with Pics! - JeepForum.com

My local Home Depot didn't actually carry the plastic gutter guard, they have aluminum sheets that I didn't like as much.

ryt2112 04-20-2010 02:42 PM

I might try this out and see how it looks. I'm pretty tired of all the crap that gets wedged into my radiator :(

oakdale bob 04-20-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 602939)
For the love of god let it go! Your following post said that you've owned TJ's so you must be aware that the designation is just that, a designation. It's not an abbreviation for anything.

SORRY, I didn't mean to ask such a STUPID question, but I thought that's what this web-site was intended for, As a tool for improving our knowledge of Jeeps.:bottom:

daggo66 04-20-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oakdale bob (Post 603670)
SORRY, I didn't mean to ask such a STUPID question, but I thought that's what this web-site was intended for, As a tool for improving our knowledge of Jeeps.:bottom:

It is. It's just that you asked it and then started another thread to ask it again. It always leads exactly where your thread lead. I just figured since you owned more than one TJ, you would already know that the letter designations don't stand for anything.

oakdale bob 04-20-2010 10:02 PM

Why don't you check back, and show me WHERE I asked twice..

oakdale bob 04-20-2010 10:25 PM

Sorry

Sorry, I found it under ????????. I didn't realize that EVERYBODY reads EVERYTHING...:doh:

daggo66 04-20-2010 10:27 PM

No problem. Speaking of reading "everything", I just read the age thread, so it's easy to understand how you forgot! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

oakdale bob 04-20-2010 11:57 PM

Yeah, that's true, its' really embarrassing to realize that you've forgotten more then some people will ever know...:deadhorse:

Vaultzz 04-21-2010 12:00 AM

^^ Why are so many people spamming the forum!!?!?!

Edit: Moderators rock :)