Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Dome light not working (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/dome-light-not-working-4278.html)

AzTJ 12-04-2006 12:28 PM

Dome light not working

Ok - The guy mentioned this to me before selling it and I thought no biggie I can fix it. But I get home from work about 6:30 and its pitch black and I need a light to get out of the Jeep. Now I'm perplexed. THe dome light on the sound bar works when you use the headlight switch to turn on the "cab lights" but when you open the doors nadda. I was thinking it might be the switch on the door but both of them not working at the same time? I dont think he installed a bypass switch like I've seen a lot of people do when they take off the doors but I looks like the doors have never been removed. Any one got some ideas that I can toy with? Thanks guys!

hardy1531 12-04-2006 12:41 PM

Check the fuse box behind the glove box. The previous owners probally removed the fuse. I believe it is number 11....? I would have to get up and go look and it's cold outside so ..... I am gona leave it at that.

Scout 12-04-2006 12:42 PM

I'm thinking it is the number 4 fuse? Could be wrong.

AzTJ 12-04-2006 12:48 PM

thanks guys - but wouldn't that keep the dome from lighting up all together? It works when I turn the headlight switch to manually turn on the dome light but just not when you open the doors.

Scout 12-04-2006 01:07 PM

Not nessesarily. Mine # 4 fuse is completely out of the fuse box and my dome lights work when my headlights are on. If you pull the #4 fuse your dome lights quit working when the doors are open, your low fuel buzzer/dinger quits working and the key in the ignition chime doesn't work either.

AzTJ 12-04-2006 01:15 PM

ahhhh - thanks! I'll have to check that before my trip into town.

Mudweiser 12-04-2006 05:04 PM

Its called the door switch defeat. Owners manual will show you what fuse number it is. Makes it so when you have your doors off the light doesnt sta yon for hours on end. Also keeps the buzzer chiming thing from going off. Ide also look at your door switches, could be grounded together if someone did some sort of by passs or i think they sell some small retainer clips to hold the switch closed when the door is open. Which makes no sense to me when all you got to do is pull the fuse out and leave it out.

AzTJ 12-04-2006 09:55 PM

I've check the fuse and they are all acounted for and not blown. And there is nothing on the door switches to keep them depress. I might just have to rip them out.

Scout 12-04-2006 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 35222)
I've check the fuse and they are all acounted for and not blown. And there is nothing on the door switches to keep them depress. I might just have to rip them out.

Hmmm... It may be time to trade it in. :)

Triple88a 12-04-2006 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudweiser (Post 35080)
....t of by passs or i think they sell some small retainer clips to hold the switch closed when the...

They look just like those workout clips just a lot smaller http://www.leehayward.com/gripper5.jpg
They somehow clip on and hold the button pressed in.. ebay should have them...

I wonder if your dome light will work if you have the headlights on and rotate the light knob until it clicks to turn on the domelight like that (counter clockwise i think)..

AzTJ 12-04-2006 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 35231)
I wonder if your dome light will work if you have the headlights on and rotate the light knob until it clicks to turn on the domelight like that (counter clockwise i think)..

Yep that works - because I did that on the way home from my grandfathers tonight. :confused:

Triple88a 12-04-2006 11:07 PM

i'm guessing somehow the button is gone bad? ( i dont know if its the same wiring though)

AzTJ 12-04-2006 11:32 PM

I may have found the solution but its too damn cold outside to go try... maybe in the morning before work.

Found on another forum someone having the same issue. And it happen that one of the wires on the fues block(behind fuse #4) was pushed out. So I'll try that tomorrow. If not I'm going to replace one of the door switches.

Triple88a 12-04-2006 11:37 PM

are there only 2 wires in the back that connect and disconnect? how about just hotwiring the wires /by passing the switch to see if it makes a difference before you start replacing stuff?

AzTJ 12-04-2006 11:50 PM

eh I'll try...

Odhinn 12-05-2006 05:15 AM

Quote:

Mine is like that. The previous owner had cut the wires to the door switches and did some oddball bypass. I rewired them and pulled the fuse because one of the door switches has been demolished. Trace your wires from the switches. It is a possibility that an attempt to modify the wireing has been performed.

MikoSiko 12-05-2006 06:18 AM

Quote:

I had the same issue... light work fine turning the headlight switch to the on position but doesn't work with the doors... I checked almost everything... to finally found both door switches disconnected :confused: ... I just connected both and voila!!...

so... check first if they are connected :D and also check that both door switches are in good condition.

Miko

AzTJ 12-05-2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoSiko (Post 35281)
I had the same issue... light work fine turning the headlight switch to the on position but doesn't work with the doors... I checked almost everything... to finally found both door switches disconnected :confused: ... I just connected both and voila!!...

so... check first if they are connected :D and also check that both door switches are in good condition.

Miko

Ha - thats exactly what happened. Screwing around durring lunch I was able to reconnect the pass door light switch and can't seem to fit my hand up the driver side so I'll need to remove the speaker panel.

Thanks guys!

Triple88a 12-05-2006 07:26 PM

I'm glad we figured out the problem :) keep us updated :)

MikoSiko 12-05-2006 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 35452)
Ha - thats exactly what happened. Screwing around durring lunch I was able to reconnect the pass door light switch and can't seem to fit my hand up the driver side so I'll need to remove the speaker panel.

Thanks guys!

Good!!!.... :D

Miko