Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Transmission Problem Please Help! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/transmission-problem-please-help-42922.html)

duaneduanet 01-17-2010 10:52 PM

Transmission Problem Please Help!

I have a 1995 YJ with a 2.5. I was going down the road the other day in 5th gear and all of a sudden it started making a horrible grinding noise. 5th gear still pulls normal other than the sound. And when I got off the interstate and pressed the clutch in the clutch started making a squalling noise like a fan belt would. Can anyone tell me what could this issue be?

4Jeepn 01-17-2010 11:14 PM

There is an issue with the ax-5 and 5th gear going south.. that is about all I know... I would check the fluid level if ya can.

ncfirefighter217 01-19-2010 04:38 PM

hey

:include: haha hope u get it fixed

scott howard 01-19-2010 05:49 PM

You might get lucky and you just have a throw out bearing going bad and not the transmission.

Check the trans fluid and clutch fluid and bleed the air.

scott howard
940-923-8118

duaneduanet 01-26-2010 10:20 PM

Will a bad throw out bearing make just 5th sound like there is something rattling inside the transmission?

RedWrangler 01-27-2010 01:45 AM

I wouldn't think so. The throw out bearing, if bad, would be noticeable in all gears. Sounds like 5th gear took a poop. I wouldn't recommend using it until you get this squared away, as if it is coming apart, any loose bits that break away could screw up the rest of the tranny.

duaneduanet 02-04-2010 12:34 PM

I just got a call yesterday from the Transmission shop $1700. There was a design flaw in the AX-5 with 5th gear. They rebuilt mine, put a new clutch in, and got rid of the design flaw. You can buy a new one for about 1500 and put it in yourself. I have been told that the dodge trucks the same year uses the AX-5 also if you want to find a used one. I had my rebuilt so I could have the 5 year warranty cause I know how the trails treat my jeep lol.

Garyk 02-04-2010 01:51 PM

Glad to see you got it fixed..

Garyk 02-04-2010 01:57 PM

Cheap parts nowadays

My temp gauge has been reading low but jeep throws good heat so I figured it was the sender unit. got one at local parts store. First the damn thing , it would not fit a 9/16" socket...even tried metric, had to screw around with it, then as I tried to get in in, heard a little pop , broke off the cheap plastic top:mad: Back to a different parts store, got another one for about $1 cheaper, same damn thing, but at least this one fits the right socket.. Waiting for Jeep to cool off to try again.:redface:

Garyk 02-04-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garyk (Post 538497)
My temp gauge has been reading low but jeep throws good heat so I figured it was the sender unit. got one at local parts store. First the damn thing , it would not fit a 9/16" socket...even tried metric, had to screw around with it, then as I tried to get in in, heard a little pop , broke off the cheap plastic top:mad: Back to a different parts store, got another one for about $1 cheaper, same damn thing, but at least this one fits the right socket.. Waiting for Jeep to cool off to try again.:redface:

Sorry, this was not supposed to post to this:bottom:

Screwjack 02-06-2010 02:50 PM

I was talking to a mechanic the other day (he's also a jeep guy) and he said something about 4th and 5th gear having issues on the YJ. Apparently you'll be driving along just fine and something in the there will basicaly just blow out. I replaced my tranny myself (well, a friend and I did it) and bout a new one through Advance Auto. After the core deposit refund for giving them my old one I think it ended up costing my around $900. See if you can find somebody that works at Advance or a similar store that can get you the 20% discount.