Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   passenger side dash speaker (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/passenger-side-dash-speaker-43065.html)

95riogrande 01-20-2010 01:59 PM

passenger side dash speaker

I was driving the other day and heard a poping nosie from my radio and a burnt electrical smell. No more sound out of the speakers so I turned it off. I turned it back on later and got sound from my driver side speaker. I smelled the other speaker and I am pretty sure it is shot. My question is why did they make it so hard to change out the front dash speakers. Also how do I go about changing them out and what is a good speaker to use in place. I figured a marine speaker would be best for the application. As far as my options for a 4x6 there isn't very much.

95riogrande 01-20-2010 02:08 PM

Is it possible to remove the speakers with out the dash coming off. I've seen a couple posts that say it can be done.

mbecnel 01-20-2010 02:54 PM

I just changed dash speakers in a 91yj. I removed the dash made it a lot easier to gain access to the speakers. You need to also lower (tilt) the windshield..............be carefull, I cracked one of the hinges

Jaydogg25 01-20-2010 03:05 PM

you can get it out...but be very careful. on my 95. i took a hammer & crowbar (or something flat)... i broke off magnet. then was able to get to bolts. problem is hit it to hard and you can break the studs.

95riogrande 01-20-2010 03:05 PM

Well I went ahead and tried to remove the passenger side speaker without removing the dash. I was able to remove the 4 nuts holding it in pretty easy. Although I was not able to slide the speaker back far enough off the studs to remove it. Any ideas? Anyone do this without removing the dash?

95riogrande 01-20-2010 10:45 PM

I figured out an quicker way to replace the speakers well atleast the passenger side so far. I didn't replace the driver side speaker yet. I was able to remove all (4) nuts holding the speaker from behind the dash with very little problem. A 1/4" ratchet and a deep socket did the trick. Once they were loose I spun them off with my finger. It was when I tried to slide the speaker off the studs that is where ran into a problem. So I removed the (3) torx bolts from the side of the dash. I was able to lightly pull on the dash and I gained enough clearance to slide the old speaker off the studs. I didn't have to remove any other torx bolts. Which reduced the pita factor. Install of the new speaker was reverse. I used 4x6 pioneer 2 way speakers.

95riogrande 01-20-2010 10:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 14878

Attachment 14879

Moe59 01-20-2010 11:51 PM

did the pioneers go in easier? just wondering because of the difference in size.

95riogrande 01-21-2010 12:17 AM

Yes. They mount with the tabs on the outside. I started two of the nuts and just slide the speaker behind them. They went in very nicely. Still have to do the driver side. I will have to remove the emergency brake. I think I can do the same thing I did on the passenger side to pull the old speaker out.

Fweaky 01-21-2010 12:36 AM

How does the pioneer speaker sound?

yjkid95 01-21-2010 01:42 AM

I recently replaced the stock sound system in my 95 wrangler and i had the same problem with the indash speakers, i used the same pioneer 2-ways up front as you did and took the sound bar off ordered 2 6x9 boxes to mount ontop of the wheel wells and got 2 6x9 5-way pioneer speakers in the back with all new speaker wire and a dual deck with the motorized face plate it sounds amazing blows the stock system out of the water i can finally hear music loud and clear with the top and doors off

95riogrande 01-21-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fweaky (Post 527796)
How does the pioneer speaker sound?

They sound pretty good for such a small speaker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjkid95 (Post 527812)
I recently replaced the stock sound system in my 95 wrangler and i had the same problem with the indash speakers, i used the same pioneer 2-ways up front as you did and took the sound bar off ordered 2 6x9 boxes to mount ontop of the wheel wells and got 2 6x9 5-way pioneer speakers in the back with all new speaker wire and a dual deck with the motorized face plate it sounds amazing blows the stock system out of the water i can finally hear music loud and clear with the top and doors off

Yeah I found a wiring harness with the wires cut just behind the passenger seat. I think it had rear speakers at one time. I will probally just make a couple small 6x9 boxes for the wheel wells or something.

yjkid95 01-22-2010 11:45 PM

I deffinetly recommend the 5 way pioneers the only thing is i need to think of a way to secure the boxes to the wells. I'm scared shitless that when i have the top and doors of in the summer someones going to walk off with my speakers

duaneduanet 01-29-2010 09:02 PM

I have tried replacing speakers both ways and the easiest way is to either pull the dash or pay a car audio place 25 buck to do it for you. lol

yjkid95 01-30-2010 03:08 AM

I did mine with out pulling the dash i just weasled my hand into there and barely got it out the new ones were alot easier to put in though

Vaultzz 01-30-2010 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjkid95 (Post 529047)
I'm scared shitless that when i have the top and doors of in the summer someones going to walk off with my speakers

I was worried about that too, so I purposly stripped the screws holding the speakers to the mount and hot glued the top of the hex screw that holds the mount to the roll bar :D

nobodys gettin away with those speakers...well except me when I spend 2 hours drilling out all the screws and buying new mounts if I ever blow out the speakers that are in there now :rofl: