Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

stripped screws....ahhhhhhh!!!

11K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  AlexBernard 
#1 ·
does anyone know a nice trick to remove stripped screws???
I am trying to relocate my mirrors so i can have them on with my doors off, but those screws are stripped pretty good.
am i gonna have to take it to a shop??

#29 ·
Super glue.

Take a small drill bit or other metal shaft & glue it laying down on the top of the stripped bolt so it is like a "T". When dry, twist that sucker right out. I've also used a dremel with a disc on it to grind a groove across the top. Then an ordinary flathead screwdriver will do the trick.

If the threads are stuck, then a couple tack welds would be required.

Good luck.

#30 ·
I still don't know why people mess around with mirror relocation, why not just go to the Harley shop and get a set of mirrors for $30 and stick them in the hinges. You can mount to mirrirs in 30 seconds and be done. Maybe it's just me but I hate the big bulky stock mirrors anyway.

#31 ·
because for the same price of those harley mirrors you can buy a pair of relocation brackets and if you get lucky and not have any stripped bolts it will take 2 min to install these, and you are REALLY done. dont have to keep switching out 2 sets of mirrors.
and if you do have stripped screws it is just another excuse to wrench on the jeep, which i enjoy doing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.