Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Emergency Door Covers? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/emergency-door-covers-43189.html)

s3nt3nc3d 01-22-2010 08:37 PM

Emergency Door Covers?

I'm planning a trip this spring that's 400 miles one way...if the weather is nice, I'd love to put the top down and go doorless, however, if it decides to pour down rain sometime during those 5 days...I also will be in a world of sh*t since I have carpet and like to keep my Jeep dry. I have full steel doors and with all my gear, would prefer not to have to try packing them in there...plus worry about securing them. I don't mind someone stealing some of my clothes and whatnot, but my doors...that would be an expensive loss.

I've seen the emergency tops...but I was wondering aside from buying full soft doors, does anyone make like an "emergency door" cover that is essentially fabric with an upper window sewn in it that secures via tiedowns, carabiners, etc in the door frames? An emergency top would prolly work...but since my top would be down and not off, I really would only need to cover the doors up. Wouldn't even need to be perfectly sealed...just good enough to keep the majority of the water out.

Do they make these? And if not, Geoff, why hasn't Bestop released them yet?! lol

I've looked at the full soft doors...but them things ain't cheap! They're like $500 for a full set...

whiteyj 01-22-2010 09:25 PM

Suck it up and put your rain gear on.......:flipoff:

Geoff@Bestop 01-22-2010 09:30 PM

We've got this engineer named George who just loves working up stuff like this. Or padded arm rests. Or bolt-on boxes for bumpers. That sort of thing. I'll send him your note. Who knows? But I'd guess that it's a fairly small market for that sort of product.

That's him, on the left, in this picture I took last summer.

http://www.bestop.com/blog/wp-conten...96-350x262.jpg

s3nt3nc3d 01-22-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj (Post 529003)
Suck it up and put your rain gear on.......:flipoff:

The last thing I need on that trip is to be soaked for the next 5 days...I hike prolly 20 miles (total) throughout the bluffs of southern IL, I don't shave or shower for the entire trip...we're tromping through mud & swamps. I at least want to be dry in my vehicle. LOL

Not to mention, while I have no problem getting me or my vehicle dirty...I do like to keep the interior in good shape, especially when I'm going to be paying for it for the next 57 months. :flipoff:

s3nt3nc3d 01-22-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 529006)
We've got this engineer named George who just loves working up stuff like this. Or padded arm rests. Or bolt-on boxes for bumpers. That sort of thing. I'll send him your note. Who knows? But I'd guess that it's a fairly small market for that sort of product.

That's him, on the left, in this picture I took last summer.

http://www.bestop.com/blog/wp-conten...96-350x262.jpg

Awesome...Tell George has a new mission...:punk:

I don't know how large the market would be...but if priced in the $100 or less range, I'd think a lot of us anal folks would go for em in the event we're left doorless in a rain storm. I wouldn't think they'd be too hard to make either... the attachment system would probably be cake, just would need to make it easy enough to enter/exit through (hrrm...a basic frame containing the attachment straps or whatnot around the perimeter with a "swing/roll out" door attached on 3 sides via tent style zippers would rock!). Material could be anything waterproof...and just have a window sewn in similar to the way soft top windows are...so you can see out while driving.

Obviously they wouldn't be perfectly air/watertight, but they'd keep the majority of it out...they wouldn't be worth a damn in the winter so they wouldn't compete with the soft door sales, and they'd prolly have a lot of noise due to the air moving across them.

But I think they'd sell pretty well IMO...if I had the ability to custom fab something like that, I'd totally give it a shot...but I'm pretty sure if I tried, it would end in disaster. haha

InfernoGirl 01-22-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 529021)
I hike prolly 20 miles (total) throughout the bluffs of southern IL, :flipoff:

Garden of the Gods? Beautiful place :D

sonofabeach 01-22-2010 10:09 PM

maybe a clear heavy duty trash bag and duct tape? :D

s3nt3nc3d 01-22-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl (Post 529029)
Garden of the Gods? Beautiful place :D

Not sure how far it is from Garden of the God's...I run a reptile website and we have a yearly meet to go to a place down there known as "Snake Road" where we catch the snake migrations from the bluffs to the swamp. We camp in Makanda, IL just outside of Carbondale at Giant City State Park but Snake Road itself is located within LaRue Rd/Pine Hills near Wolf Lake, IL. It's kinda out in the boonies. The whole area down that way is BEAUTIFUL though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonofabeach (Post 529031)
maybe a clear heavy duty trash bag and duct tape? :D

Considered it...but didn't figure it'd fare so well on some of those back country roads doing 55-60mph. Hrmmm...I guess I COULD spend a few extra buck's on the heavy duty duct tape...:D

chiro2736 01-22-2010 11:47 PM

watch craigslist or ask around, since you have time, see if any one has torn soft doors they'd sell you for cheep. Sounds like something like that would work for what you are looking for.

billyb 01-23-2010 08:21 AM

I could see doing something cheap for keeping it dry while you're sitting still, but 60+ mph is tough on stuff. If you design anything less than soft doors, they'd probably rip off or let almost as much water in as no doors. If you design something the same as soft doors, they would cost as much.
Was thinking maybe something that anchors in the hinges and uses magnets to hold the back on, but then I remember the door surrounds are plastic and I got nothing again.
Just my thoughts as an engineer.

DANIMAL 01-23-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 529025)
Awesome...Tell George has a new mission...:punk:

I don't know how large the market would be...but if priced in the $100 or less range, I'd think a lot of us anal folks would go for em in the event we're left doorless in a rain storm. I wouldn't think they'd be too hard to make either... the attachment system would probably be cake, just would need to make it easy enough to enter/exit through (hrrm...a basic frame containing the attachment straps or whatnot around the perimeter with a "swing/roll out" door attached on 3 sides via tent style zippers would rock!). Material could be anything waterproof...and just have a window sewn in similar to the way soft top windows are...so you can see out while driving.

Obviously they wouldn't be perfectly air/watertight, but they'd keep the majority of it out...they wouldn't be worth a damn in the winter so they wouldn't compete with the soft door sales, and they'd prolly have a lot of noise due to the air moving across them.

But I think they'd sell pretty well IMO...if I had the ability to custom fab something like that, I'd totally give it a shot...but I'm pretty sure if I tried, it would end in disaster. haha

I don't think that what you are describing for a temp. door would hold up very well. I have a set of soft doors that I use for summer and in a storm or heavy wind they are scary at any speed. The top section usually starts to pull away from my Jeep. I think anything less strong would just fold up and fly off...just my opinion. Hopefully Geoff and George will pull through for you though.

If you lived closer, I would let you use mine for your trip.

DANIMAL 01-23-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANIMAL (Post 529152)
If you lived closer, I would let you use mine for your trip.

Hey, I just mapquested your location and you are 418 miles away. So you could justify getting soft doors by not travelling 1672 miles to get and return my doors. Just a thought.

s3nt3nc3d 01-23-2010 08:17 PM

LOL...I was thinking something similar in concept to the cheap bikini tops that attach via straps. If I come across some extra cash, I will probably eventually invest in a set of soft doors. I intend to relocate my mirrors before spring...so for my trip what I'll probably end up doing is laying the doors in behind the seats and then using a decent quality cable lock I'll lock em to something secure in my Jeep. Won't be able to ensure they won't get stolen, but they'll have to work if they want to get em.

debruins 01-23-2010 10:09 PM

if you are moving along no rain will get in except from spray from big rigs. So If it were me I'd bring a tarp to tarp it when not moving and then just go faster than 35 at all times when its pouring and you will be fine.

chiro2736 01-23-2010 11:49 PM

Not in yor area but maybe he will ship!

Jeep Wrangler Soft Doors fits TJ 97 -2005

s3nt3nc3d 01-24-2010 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiro2736 (Post 529649)
Not in yor area but maybe he will ship!

Jeep Wrangler Soft Doors fits TJ 97 -2005

Awesome...thanks! I dropped em an email. *Crosses fingers*

Tkalagher 03-09-2012 07:54 AM

Old thread, but this is exactly what I'm looking for too. Doors off all summer, but need an emergency option for when it rains. I would just use a cover at night.

BeerMan 03-09-2012 08:09 AM

I have seen Whitco full soft doors for CJ like in this pic...It would be neat to do something similar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...coDoors003.jpg

Once Far Off 03-09-2012 09:51 AM

I would just go with soft doors. They fit in the back seat easy enough...

DrewG 03-09-2012 10:26 AM

I just picked up a set of CJ soft doors for this exact situation. Not sure how I'll get 'em to stay closed (the latches don't match up, and these are "emergency only" type things), but I've got plenty of bungee cords...I'm sure I can figure something out. Oh, and I found 'em off craigslist for $25.

Tkalagher 03-09-2012 10:27 AM

Soft doors are real expensive though. That picture is just what I'm looking for, but for a couple hundred not 500+.