Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   TJ Tech Forum (
-   -   Catalytic Converter Question (

Fred1 01-23-2010 12:48 PM

Catalytic Converter Question
Can I install a 49 state legal Cat on a California 98 TJ 4.0 without sending my computer into a tailspin. Somehting is loose inside mine and rattles. I pass smog no problem. My only other option is OEM $629 plus shipping and a $200 core charge. Thanks in advance.

Drummer_192 01-23-2010 10:02 PM

Unless California is that 1 state that it isnt legal in

rrich 01-23-2010 10:28 PM

What's the difference between the 49 state and the California?

The California has a CARB stamp on the bottom, the 49 version does not.

During a smog inspection, the tech is supposed to be able to see that stamp (it's an embossed stamp in the sheet metal.) If he can't see it, you fail.

The muffler shop has to pay considerably more for the ones with the stamp. The reason is the mfgr has to pay a big tax whenever he uses that stamp.

The embossed stamp must really reduce emissions, otherwise the politicians wouldn't require it.

You can thank the politicians that thought of that - easy. VOTE THEM ALL OUT! In 6 years we can have all new Senators and Congressmen just by voting.
If you don't, you must like it the way it is now.

You can still write to write to them in prison!

SPDNJOE 01-23-2010 11:37 PM

See other post. Installed California Cat for $240

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.