Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/)
-   -   Which accessory wire to use for CB? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/which-accessory-wire-to-use-for-cb-432402.html)

Barmanvarn 12-10-2013 11:50 PM

Which accessory wire to use for CB?
 
I'll be wiring up my new CB in the near future. In addition to wires for constant 12V and ground, it had a connection for 12V accessory (on w/ ignition).

I'm going to attempt mounting the CB underneath my aftermarket radio so figured I could use whatever wire is the accessory wire.

Anyone know what wire coming from the vehicle is the accessory wire in the stereo wires/harness? Do you see any issue w/ using this wire?

I could use the amp "on" wire, but then the stereo would have to get power in order for the CB to work. By using the accessory wire coming from the vehicle, I can ensure the CB turns on even if the stereo dies.

brian d 12-11-2013 02:20 AM

I know this isn't totally what you are asking, but you can also use the power wire from the cigarette lighter port. That's a key on source too. It's actually what I have my remote lead for my amp connected to.

tomsryt 12-11-2013 06:58 AM

I went to Radio Shack and told the guy I wanted a cigarette-lighter power plug end to put on the end of my CB power wire.
He attached the end for me in the store. No charge. I'm not hard wired to the jeep so I have portability.
Bear in mind that people who are enthusiastic about their hobby/trade will usually do things for nothing if it involves their passion, be it Jeep mods or electronics or whatever.
I bought a high-end AV receiver for my entertainment center, and the back of this thing looks like something that belongs in the cockpit of the Space Shuttle. My nephew is a geek, and he spent about three hours getting it up and running for me, and was just happy to play with it when he was done.
You'll find plenty of people in the Jeep community who will gladly assist you in any mods, money usually never being a consideration, but for a half-day job a case of brew and a couple of pizzas is a realistic exchange for the labor given.

Barmanvarn 12-11-2013 09:33 AM

Yeah, I already figured I'd use the 12v off the lighter if need be but as I'm installing right below the radio, coming off the radio harness would be nice since it's closer.

Did some research and think I know what wire to use. I can use my voltmeter to confirm.

NFRs2000NYC 12-11-2013 10:11 AM

I wouldn't recommend running the CB to any OEM wires, it should run directly to the battery. You might have problems with your SWR levels, especially as the jeep sends pulses to the circuit. CBs really should be wired to a clean source (ie, directly to the battery).

XTRyan 12-11-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 6698178)
Yeah, I already figured I'd use the 12v off the lighter if need be but as I'm installing right below the radio, coming off the radio harness would be nice since it's closer.

Did some research and think I know what wire to use. I can use my voltmeter to confirm.

Just something else to consider....

Some people get static in their speaker/mic when they use a power source that isn't totally "clean". That is, coming directly off the battery. You could use a relay to make sure the CB turns off when the Jeep turns off, but you may get better sound quality both receiving and transmitting if you go right from the battery.

I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of wiring but I have seen this info posted a few times when CB's are being installed.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Ryan

Barmanvarn 12-11-2013 10:15 AM

Ok, now you guys have me confuzzed. :)

The CB has a wire that is designated to go right to the battery, but it also has a wire that is designated to run to a 12V accessory connection. Are you saying that it should run to the battery as well?

EDIT: I've installed aftermarket head units for many years so when I see a wire labeled "accessory" I think of a 12V connection that receives power when the ignition is turned on. Hence my confusion.

XTRyan 12-11-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 6699202)
Ok, now you guys have me confuzzed. :)

The CB has a wire that is designated to go right to the battery, but it also has a wire that is designated to run to a 12V accessory connection. Are you saying that it should run to the battery as well?

I was saying that you could use a Normally Open relay that is triggered by an accessory circuit to make sure the CB goes on and off with the Jeep. But have the 12V that feeds through the relay to the CB come directly from the battery. Sorry if that was unclear! Let me know if you need more clarification.

-Ryan

Barmanvarn 12-11-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XTRyan (Post 6699306)
I was saying that you could use a Normally Open relay that is triggered by an accessory circuit to make sure the CB goes on and off with the Jeep. But have the 12V that feeds through the relay to the CB come directly from the battery. Sorry if that was unclear! Let me know if you need more clarification.

-Ryan

Sorry, am on my first cup of coffee this morning so I'm not 100% following. LOL

I think I see what you're saying but guess I'll need to do some more research to figure out how I want to do this.

NFRs2000NYC 12-11-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 6699202)
Ok, now you guys have me confuzzed. :)

The CB has a wire that is designated to go right to the battery, but it also has a wire that is designated to run to a 12V accessory connection. Are you saying that it should run to the battery as well?

EDIT: I've installed aftermarket head units for many years so when I see a wire labeled "accessory" I think of a 12V connection that receives power when the ignition is turned on. Hence my confusion.

The ACC connection (third wire) should run to the third prong on a switch of your choice. It is NOT like the ACC connection of the headunit. ACC is the wrong term to use. You should not tap into ANY oem wires.

Barmanvarn 12-11-2013 10:30 AM

As this is my first CB wire up, maybe I'm making an incorrect assumption....

Do most CBs have this 3 wire setup? If so, is there a common method that most use to wire up there units?

NFRs2000NYC 12-11-2013 10:31 AM

Whoops, just re-read what you and I wrote...I haven't seen a CB with 3 wires. If you have a third wire labeled accessory, like a remote wire of an amp, you need to decide how you want the CB to work. If you want it to always be on when the jeep is on, then tap that wire into the cig lighter. If you want it to be on only when you are wheeling and need CB, then tap that wire into the CBs main power wire (the wire that goes to the battery) and run the whole thing through a switch of your choice.

Sorry for the confusion, the third wire thing threw me.

Barmanvarn 12-11-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 6699626)
Whoops, just re-read what you and I wrote...I haven't seen a CB with 3 wires. If you have a third wire labeled accessory, like a remote wire of an amp, you need to decide how you want the CB to work. If you want it to always be on when the jeep is on, then tap that wire into the cig lighter. If you want it to be on only when you are wheeling and need CB, then tap that wire into the CBs main power wire (the wire that goes to the battery) and run the whole thing through a switch of your choice.

Sorry for the confusion, the third wire thing threw me.

LMAO

I kinda figured you may be misunderstanding this wiring setup, but didn't want to say "Read my damn post!" LOL

I sure you were thinking "Why does this moron not just run the wire to the battery like a normal person?"

Ok, so now that we're on the same page, attaching the ACC wire to any switched 12V source is ok? Or is there a specific reason to use the cig lighter power wire? Like I said, I was just considering using the stereo's switched source as that wire will be closer to the CB, thus a shorter/cleaner wire run.

Thanks again for the assistance.

NFRs2000NYC 12-11-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 6699754)
LMAO

I kinda figured you may be misunderstanding this wiring setup, but didn't want to say "Read my damn post!" LOL

I sure you were thinking "Why does this moron not just run the wire to the battery like a normal person?"

Ok, so now that we're on the same page, attaching the ACC wire to any switched 12V source is ok? Or is there a specific reason to use the cig lighter power wire? Like I said, I was just considering using the stereo's switched source as that wire will be closer to the CB, thus a shorter/cleaner wire run.

Thanks again for the assistance.

The cig lighter is clean power, not to mention, it is easy to get to. Since there are a heap of electronics that can be used in the cig lighter, it is a primitive circuit which simply shuts down if there is too much draw. It doesn't get pulsed (since it might damage whatever is plugged into it) so it would be an excellent source to tap into. A vampire tap will make the job easy as pie.

Barmanvarn 12-11-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 6699906)
The cig lighter is clean power, not to mention, it is easy to get to. Since there are a heap of electronics that can be used in the cig lighter, it is a primitive circuit which simply shuts down if there is too much draw. It doesn't get pulsed (since it might damage whatever is plugged into it) so it would be an excellent source to tap into. A vampire tap will make the job easy as pie.

Works for me!

And agreed on the vampire (or T-connector) idea. After years and years (too many to admit) of using in-line connectors, I can't believe I hadn't heard these sooner.

mudslingr 12-11-2013 01:45 PM

Just run a wire to your fuse box and use a fuse tap to use an empty fuse slot

Lusus_Naturae 12-17-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 6699066)
I wouldn't recommend running the CB to any OEM wires, it should run directly to the battery. You might have problems with your SWR levels, especially as the jeep sends pulses to the circuit. CBs really should be wired to a clean source (ie, directly to the battery).

A bit off topic but worth noting - I did this. I wired my CB's hot wire directly to the battery, then I wired the ground wire to a metal o-ring style connector and grounded it with the post in the right passenger footwell, where the dash harness is grounded.

I'm pretty sure that's a bad thing now. Though not 100%. I was out last night with a friend, we turned the CB's on to talk. I keyed up and my headunit rebooted. Weird. I keyed up again to tell him, it rebooted three times in a row. So I key up to tell him to pull into a parking lot to take a look, my windshield wipers go on, the dash lights up like a Christmas tree, the headunit reboots again, TPMS 'forgets' the rear tires and goes nuts. Crazy stuff!!

So we pull over in the lot and I tell him about it. I'm still running, the Jeep never acted up aside from those issues I mentioned. I key up again and the headunit reboots. I key up again, and the dash does it's thing with the wipers! He couldn't believe it either. He said I was sounding really quiet on the CB too. So we look around the CB a little, he thinks my mic wire looks kinda bad. It's used, been around the block with me for a few years, and recently my girl kinda crunched it up in the front seat when she slid it forward. The wire looks ok, but it's worn, and the boot connection is kinda icky looking.

Going on his hunch, we swapped mics. That was it all right. He could hear me on his CB loud and clear again, the headunit was ok, and the dash quit blinking. I also noticed I could hear more noise on the CB with his mic. I am replacing the mic this week, I have two spares hanging at the house.

I do wonder if I should tap a separate ground somewhere for the CB though. I honestly don't know if the issue would occur anyhow because it's still grounded to the vehicle. I'm not sure if I want to test it either.

This also can be added to the odd collection of proven things that can cause the wipers to swipe once, and the dash to light up like a Christmas tree.

WhiskeyMike 12-17-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 6699202)
Ok, now you guys have me confuzzed. :)

The CB has a wire that is designated to go right to the battery, but it also has a wire that is designated to run to a 12V accessory connection. Are you saying that it should run to the battery as well?

EDIT: I've installed aftermarket head units for many years so when I see a wire labeled "accessory" I think of a 12V connection that receives power when the ignition is turned on. Hence my confusion.

I would read the manual again. I suspect that if it's accessory power, it may have a built in relay. That way you wire directly to battery, but tap off ACC to trigger relay and obtain power from clean main source when key is turned.

I would check the manual and find out what the ACC wire is for.

GreenMachine13 04-24-2014 09:09 PM

I know this topic is a bit old but I'm doing some research as I'm about to install my CB radio into my '13 sport.

I was planning to run the power directly to the battery and the ground to the body (near the battery).

However I can't seem it find a way through the firewall. Any ideas?

I thought about using the cig lighter outlet but I don't want to overload that circuit since I run other things on that.

geauxwillett 04-25-2014 01:46 AM

I ran mine out the passenger door and under the hood. Got tired of looking for a place in the firewall.

BoilerMike 04-25-2014 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenMachine13 (Post 10135825)
I know this topic is a bit old but I'm doing some research as I'm about to install my CB radio into my '13 sport.

I was planning to run the power directly to the battery and the ground to the body (near the battery).

However I can't seem it find a way through the firewall. Any ideas?

I thought about using the cig lighter outlet but I don't want to overload that circuit since I run other things on that.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/wh...ll-589842.html

GreenMachine13 04-25-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilerMike (Post 10141921)

Perfect! Thanks!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.