Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Buying a Jeep (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/buying-a-jeep-43504.html)

Mitre7 01-28-2010 12:01 PM

Buying a Jeep

Hey everyone. I'm new here and have been in the market for buying a jeep for a little while. This will be my first jeep, and while I am excited, I am also overwhelmed. I must say this forum has been an excellent resource for the jeep newbie so thank you.

One jeep i'm looking at has a 4" lift with 33" tires. I'm wondering if that will affect the jeep's reliability much. I'm planning on taking the jeep on mostly highway and unpaved forest/mountain roads. I'm also curious about how much this would affect mpg roughly.

Here is the listing, and it's up for 5k.

"I have a 1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ up for sale. I bought it in January of '09, and since then i've put over $2500 into it to make it what it is now. It has a 4" suspension lift, and 33" BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires on it that were bought brand new towards the middle of August of 2009. It will come with both hard, and soft tops, (soft top brand new this past summer, Bestop brand, and was only on Jeep for about 2 months before winter came and switched to hard top) and will come with full steel doors for the hard top, and both upper and lower half doors for the soft top. It has a single disc CD player with a remote, and aux. imput. The Jeep has around 105,000 miles on it, and has had regular oil changes. It has a 4.0L I6 motor that runs like a champ. and it's a 5 speed manual transmission that works just as well. "

http://images.craigslist.org/3na3k73...89be101810.jpg

So based solely on the fact that's it has a 4"lift and 33" tires, would this be a reliable jeep for what I plan on doing with it? Or should i just stick with a stock jeep? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

89PBR96 01-28-2010 12:17 PM

I think 5 is a little high for that jeep Just make sure you look over the frame for any rust holes check the floor boards for rust as for mpg it's a jeep I get 15 in my 94 with 4 inch lift and 33's 4.0 5spd
I never take it on the highway cause at 60 it is a hand full at times

I would keep looking

Garyk 01-28-2010 12:41 PM

If you are planning on highway driving I would stick to max 2.5" with 31" tires. You can get off-road and still manage some highway driving without the white knuckles. I never go over 60-65, steering is just too damn sensitive with the lift and tires.
Like mentioned, check the floor pans for rust holes, frame too , especially around shock mounts at rear.
Of course if its a nice Jeep and you like it, you can always take the lift out...

Mitre7 01-28-2010 07:50 PM

Cool thanks guys. I think i'll probably stick to stock then. Thanks for the guidelines. I had another question now as well. From what I've read everywhere, another big choice is picking the 2.5L or the 4.0L engine. Some have said to not even bother with the 2.5's as they don't last very long. Should i steer clear or 2.5's or would i be fine. What are some of the major differences in the 2 engines?

Thanks

countryboy6.0 01-28-2010 07:57 PM

major difference is power...not quite sure on the mechanical part about it but a 2.5 is a piece of crap.

thechink09 01-28-2010 08:14 PM

well if you want a jeep with a lift and bigger tires you definitely want the 4.0L or 4.2L. the 2.5L's just dont have any power, especially if you are going to drive on the highway. im always hearing about how when people with 2.5L's get bigger tires, they aallwwaayyss have trouble getting up to speed with hills and what not.

yjkid95 01-29-2010 03:19 PM

I have a bone stock 2.5l 3speed automatic in mine with nobby 30" tires without a lift and the thing is a dog when doing 55 and i hit a hill it drops to 45 with my foot to the floor the transimission just doesnt down shift but i think a 2.5l with a 5 speed would be better off and i get about 19 miles to the gallon also even though its not lifted when i get on the highway i dont go out of the slow lane just dont have much power and the steering scares me at 70

RedWrangler 01-29-2010 04:20 PM

Given the cost difference on a 15 year old jeep with a 2.5 or 4.0 is probably negligible, I think it's an easy choice to try and hold out for a 4.0. There have been numerous mileage threads, and it seems that the 4.0 averages the same or better mileage, especially if lifted with meaties, and you will hear of many 4.0 engines going beyond the 200k mark without a rebuild. The power problems are also well covered by many, and it seems like no one has proposed much in the way of ameliorating this problem except to drop in a smallblock.

duaneduanet 01-29-2010 07:11 PM

Go with the 4.0. I have a 2.5 and its great for around town or off road. but getting on the highway is awful. Not a lot of power. I run 3500-4000 RPM at 70 on the HWY. Another thing with the 4.0 it has the AX-15 5 speed transmission which is stronger than then 2.5's AX-5 transmission.