Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Sway Bar Disconnect (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/sway-bar-disconnect-43619.html)

RubiJK12 01-30-2010 02:04 PM

Sway Bar Disconnect

Would you Jeepers with more exerience with the sway bar disconnect please give your opinion on when to disconnect it. On my Rubicon, it is electronic and of course below 18 mph.
I have had various opinions from saying never to use it under any circumstances to always use it in 4 low range.
Your advice and experience would be appreciated. Thanks!:doh:

jk'n 01-31-2010 07:55 PM

When we reach the trail, people air down and disconnect their sway bars. Departing we air up and reconnect.

Ray - San Jose 01-31-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 535369)
When we reach the trail, people air down and disconnect their sway bars. Departing we air up and reconnect.

Exactly what I do.

RubiJK12 02-01-2010 11:39 AM

Thanks! I felt like it should be used or it wouldn't be there. That sounds more like it to me so will do the same!

jk'n 02-01-2010 12:05 PM

I think of it this way, sway bar disconnect = better articulation so on the trail it is necessary but the sway bar disconnected on the hard top means less stability in turns so reconnect after getting off of the trail. Also, I only use the lockers when necessary even on the trail. When I get stuck and can't move forwards or backwards, on goes the lockers and, so far, it meant getting out of the spot without any help from the people I wheel with.

thaduke2003 02-01-2010 01:03 PM

Disconnect it for rocks, for sure. For mud, as needed. Leave it hooked up in sand- Mark W.

jk'n 02-01-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaduke2003 (Post 535848)
Disconnect it for rocks, for sure. For mud, as needed. Leave it hooked up in sand- Mark W.

Hi Mark,

Haven't seen you post in a while.

jk'n

thaduke2003 02-01-2010 01:13 PM

Hey amigo- yeah- times have been tough- just getting back into the swing of things- got a BIG post coming soon ;) Just wait...
Prelude:
4.88's
Rear Truetrac
35's (probably going with KM2's)
3.5" Rock Krawler lift
Bilstein shocks

Give it a couple weeks- if I can sell both my 32" wheel/tire sets, it's on! :) Mark W.

AndyLA 02-02-2010 09:12 AM

Hey Jk'n and Mark...... Good to see you both. :)

yj-genral 02-02-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 535369)

100% correct

jk'n 02-02-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyLA (Post 536484)
Hey Jk'n and Mark...... Good to see you both. :)

Been a while Andy,

Nice to see you back. Check out the thread on how fast the jk is. A couple of good chuckles there.

Stay in touch.

jk'n

anthony20031 02-02-2010 10:46 AM

Don't mean to hijack but I understand the premise of the sway bars and unlocking and locking them. But lockers? Could someone pllease elaborate for this newb. Lockers the same as refering to locking and unlocking the sway bars.:doh:

Ray - San Jose 02-02-2010 11:13 AM

Negative. Lockers lock the left and right axles together so that if a wheel is in the air it doesn't rob the traction from the wheel that's on the ground. Disconnects do just that, they un-hook the swaybar and removes it from the suspension geometry for greater articulation.

anthony20031 02-02-2010 11:18 AM

So sway bar disconnect which I believe I understood before is so that your basically able to flex ie have one tireup and the other down on the ground when it would also normally be in the air as well and cause a tip over???? then the locker does what? Or is it the locker does what I described above and the disconnect.....eh I'm confused. Sorry just an ignorant newb trying to learn lol especially before I start to go offroad with my JK. Make sure I have what I need lol

anthony20031 02-02-2010 11:23 AM

Well at least I'm not asking if JKs go fast lolol

yj-genral 02-02-2010 11:24 AM

well normally when the differentials are unlocked, they act as an open diff. letting both wheels travel at different speeds (great for when your turning on the pavement)

when you lock the axle (front or rear) it doesnt let the wheels spin at different speeds making sure that when the power is applied it is applied to both wheels. (in an open diff or unlocked it will allow the power to be transfered to the wheel with the least resistance, causing spinning of one tire while the other just sits still)

most people will only lock with tackling specific parts of the trail where being unlocked would only let you spin and no move, where as some people lock them before entering a trail...

if its a light duty trail then leave it unlocked till you find that you need it, up a hill or over some rocks or whatever.

anthony20031 02-02-2010 11:48 AM

Ok so after some quick reading and talking to a friend of mine this is my quick synopsis if someone will confirm.

Locker helps distribute power/torque to the wheels. IE differentials unlocked meaning that it allows tires to move at different speeds and sends more "power" to a wheel that is spinning. Locked means the differential will send the same to both...ie helping in the case your stuck and you want just as much "power" going to the tire that has traction and is not spinning.

Sway bar just allows better articulation of the wheels...ie allowing in uneven terrain to keep both tires on the ground

Correct?

anthony20031 02-02-2010 11:50 AM

If that is correct guess I need to get a locker for my Jeep

LogRace 02-02-2010 12:51 PM

Now that Anthony brought it up... is the OX lockers a good diff locker? In my train of thought manual seems more reliable that the electric or the vacuum!

Hilldweller 02-02-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Don't disco on severe off-camber stuff too; makes it easier to tumble down the hill sideways.

jk'n 02-02-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 536706)
Don't disco on severe off-camber stuff too; makes it easier to tumble down the hill sideways.

Makes sense to me. Good point, thanks.

thaduke2003 02-03-2010 03:56 PM

^ Very true. And to go pre-jacking, hey Andy- haven't talked in a fair while :)
Mark W.

hig4s 02-04-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Why leave connected in sand?

RubiJK12 02-12-2010 12:13 AM

Thanks for all the great help and advice! Learned a lot and it's appreciated

Schmo 02-12-2010 12:34 AM

Or get sick and tired of all the connecting and disconnecting stuff and upgrade to an ANTIROCK!!! :flipoff: Hoping to get mine when the guys get back from KOH. Going to have to do somemore chopping on my bumper!

jpfelix 02-13-2010 10:33 PM

i just pulled mine off completely. i don't do much cornering in the jeep, so rather than mess with it until i get an antirock...it's gone and i'm fine with that.

Schmo 02-13-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpfelix (Post 545481)
i just pulled mine off completely. i don't do much cornering in the jeep, so rather than mess with it until i get an antirock...it's gone and i'm fine with that.

Sounds like we're in the same boat . . . got lazy and didn't reconnect after the last local wheeling trip . . . ended up driving around for a week including a good distance to go wheeling again with the swaybar disconnected and it wasn't bad at all . . . I was a bit concerned about the onroad performance of the AntiRock, but it's better than no swaybar, which I didn't feel uncomfortable with at all. I plan to run it on the most flexible setting and see how it does, especially now that I'm not driving all that much, working from home, I think the increase in offroad performance out weighs giving up a bit of onroad prowess.

SupaSnydes 04-27-2012 12:24 PM

Schmo,
I did the same thing...left my sway bar disconnected. It was making a weird clanking sound anyway. Is there any harm that can come from this, just leaving it disconnected for however long? I don't drive long distances on the pavement (except around 40 miles or so to the offroad trails), but haven't noticed a real difference yet. Let me know if you guys know of any disadvantages to this, also, why connect in the sand?

slpnbyu 04-27-2012 12:35 PM

OP - Check out the video in the first post of this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jee...wd-135183.html

It may help to answer some of your questions.

Cruise missile 04-27-2012 02:11 PM

The sand answer is because in sand you will need speed to go up any kind of hill. There is very little use for increased articulation.