Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   What happened to WF?!?!?! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/what-happened-to-wf-4368.html)

deverhart 12-11-2006 09:25 PM

What happened to WF?!?!?!

Good evening folks,

Ok so im sure everyone wants to know exactley what happened, so may not care and are just glad that we are back online, others may even still be upset that we are online at all.

2 nights ago I was sitting at my desk at work and decided to do my usual morning check of wf. upon trying to reach the site I was met with a blank page. This is nothing new neccesarily so I shrugged it off and checked back in about an hour. When I still couldnt reach it, I called my wife and woke her up, and had her log on from home. Bri says " cant get on wf, now leave me alone im going back to sleep"

This prompts a call to the datacenter that houses our dedicated server, upon reaching them I get a great customer service rep that tells me he will put in a reboot order for me.

A few mins later, the forum is up, and I check my trouble ticket and there is a simple line "rebooting" and I think GREAT! it worked. 5 mins later, server down again, recheck trouble ticket and see a quick explanation of "consoling into server to investigate something"

at this point I think to myself WTF are you investigating, this is my production server smacky, push the button like the reboot monkey you are and stay away from my stuff. But I dont write this because having been in IT for a while I know that more IT folks think they are more important than they are and tend to try and go above and beyond and be in control situations. So I add to ticket, Bring server up, no need to console into server.

server stays down, all of a sudden there is an unknown "issue" that wont let my server come up. I call BS. this prompts many angry phone calls, insistance on a different tech doing my bootup while im on the phone which is in my service agreement (remote hand and eyes) however if the remote hand and eyes arent giving you all of the information you cant make good calls. So I call a rep that I know at the company and request he go get my server online. He calls me back and tells me he isnt sure what is wrong but there has been partial corruption on harddrive and that he can get it back online in limited capacity. essentially I gained access to look at the filesystem and ftp in. which is fine except you cant make Database backups in that fashion for the most part. So I had to replicate everything off the server to a home server and do it all that way, as the tech borked most useful software on the server

Now why did this take me 48 hrs? well I work a 4 on 4 off shift 12 hr days . I spend 3 hrs a day commuting, so outside of work, i have just enough time to sleep. Kyle didnt do the restore because he did not have access to the tools I do and this was basically a 1 shot deal as our server is best used as a paperweight at this point. We are back up and running on a hosting account temporarily until we procure a new server and colocation facility where I can go and physically touch my server rather than have a low wage tech screw our stuff up in the future.

Thankfully I was able to pull an up to the minute dump of everything. I did get an error on rebuilding everything that I am unsure of so If you find something broken PLEASE pm me so I can address it... All posts and users appear intact however

Thanks and I hope we dont lose too much of our userbase over this mutliday downtime. Thanks for your support guys.

mrbigjeep 12-11-2006 09:29 PM

i think ya did good. you got it up pretty fast, i think. good job. glad to be back on WF

amy 12-11-2006 09:37 PM

Yup, ya done good.
Another site I visit just came back after being down for over a month.

deverhart 12-11-2006 09:40 PM

a month?!?! I almost puked, no lie, ask kyle, after being down for 6 hours... I slept like 4 hrs in 2 days trying to get stuff in order... and kyle spent a good number of hours getting the new hosting ready and stuff moved around

amerijeep 12-11-2006 09:43 PM

The only full day it was down was yesterday... my birthday. I didn't get to see my name in lights on the bottom of the page yesterday.... oh well.

Nice job. I am somewhat familiar with what it took to get her runnin'. You and Kyle are the win!

Scout 12-11-2006 09:53 PM

So we're up? I'm glad to see everything worked out. I think everyone knows that computers and technology are pretty much hit and miss. I'm just glad to see that everything worked out ok.

Yeah whatever...blah..blah blah..here's some tube fenders for ya! :flipoff: <---And my flip off works!!!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/_DSC2066.jpg

amy 12-11-2006 10:01 PM

Thank you, very much, for your efforts, guys!
Just don't tell scou, er, Hi Simple Scout! :D

amerijeep 12-11-2006 10:05 PM

too bad the word association thread didn't get wiped out...

amy 12-11-2006 10:08 PM

hey scout, my daughter just saw your jeep and said it's pretty cool. Then she asked if the guy in your avatar was really you. (she's 9)

Scout 12-11-2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep (Post 36545)
too bad the word association thread didn't get wiped out...

That's my favorite thread! I think you've got a few posts over there too. ;) :flipoff:

Scout 12-11-2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy (Post 36547)
hey scout, my daughter just saw your jeep and said it's pretty cool. Then she asked if the guy in your avatar was really you. (she's 9)

OMG - and you said ______ ?

amerijeep 12-11-2006 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Scout (Post 36556)
That's my favorite thread! I think you've got a few posts over there too. ;) :flipoff:

That thread is not my favorite by far. I get in there to participate with the forum, but I'm not a fan of it. It honestly annoys me, but I want to be a team player.

Scout 12-11-2006 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep (Post 36565)
That thread is not my favorite by far. I get in there to participate with the forum, but I'm not a fan of it. It honestly annoys me, but I want to be a team player.

Well...uhhh...we appreciate you playing along with us. :D

Admit it, it's like crack to you. You just can't leave it alone! You're in denial. :flipoff:

hokie822 12-11-2006 10:30 PM

Glad to see everything is up and running....I couldnt believe my surprise when I tried to get online to tell everyone that I lifted my jeep and I had no one to tell....:) Good job!!!

Scout 12-11-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

You like my "tube fender" thread the best huh? Or maybe my "I scratched my nuts today" thread? :D

Oh yeah, that new sig is GAY!

Scout 12-11-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hokie822 (Post 36567)
Glad to see everything is up and running....I couldnt believe my surprise when I tried to get online to tell everyone that I lifted my jeep and I had no one to tell....:) Good job!!!

WOO HOO! Post em them pics!!!

amerijeep 12-11-2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Scout (Post 36568)
You like my "tube fender" thread the best huh? Or maybe my "I scratched my nuts today" thread? :D

Oh yeah, that new sig is GAY!

With my last breath, I spit at thee!

tiny terror 12-11-2006 10:38 PM

Quote:

It honestly annoys me....

We all voted to call it the "Annoy the Hell Outta Amerijeep" thread but Deverhart just wouldn't do it. He felt it seemed passive aggressive. :D

amerijeep 12-11-2006 10:43 PM

It really doesn't annoy me so much, but that it is the most popular thread has always got to me a little. There's a lot of othert things that I find more interesting and I always kinda felt that it got way more attention than it should. Also, I guess those of us that have been around awhile got bored with it long ago. It went long stretches of time without anyone ever posting in it.

tiny terror 12-11-2006 10:45 PM

Some of us don't have anything technical to add so we stay involved in the community with idle chatter.

amy 12-11-2006 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Scout (Post 36557)
OMG - and you said ______ ?

Once I stopped laughing, I told her no. She went back to watching Mary Poppins

amy 12-11-2006 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 36576)
Some of us don't have anything technical to add so we stay involved in the community with idle chatter.

Yup, that pretty much covers it for me...

tiny terror 12-11-2006 10:55 PM

I'm pretty up front about being filler. I don't mind. I'd be the sidekick if we were all superheros....... Batgirl!!!

amy 12-11-2006 10:58 PM

I've seen a "What Superhero Are You" quiz. I got Robin.

tiny terror 12-11-2006 11:00 PM

I was the hulk. My anger management problem I assume. :D

amy 12-11-2006 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep (Post 36533)
The only full day it was down was yesterday... my birthday. I didn't get to see my name in lights on the bottom of the page yesterday.... oh well.

Nice job. I am somewhat familiar with what it took to get her runnin'. You and Kyle are the win!

Hey Amerijeep, Happy belated Birthday! Hope it was a good one.

amerijeep 12-11-2006 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy (Post 36588)
Hey Amerijeep, Happy belated Birthday! Hope it was a good one.

Just another day, I guess. Thanks for the sentiment. I really appreciate it.

Triple88a 12-12-2006 12:12 AM

I'm so glad to see this forum back up again :) I'm just wondering though did you talk to any1 in India for the past 2 days? :) (tech support)

tiny terror 12-12-2006 12:35 AM

We all know that it was actually Scout tripping over the cord while he was admiring a glamore shot of his fenders.

Laki 12-12-2006 02:24 AM

Finally! WF is back!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep (Post 36533)
The only full day it was down was yesterday... my birthday.

Happy Belated Birthday to you! Hope it was a great birthday! :D