Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Vibrations- I'm at a loss (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/vibrations-im-at-a-loss-43697.html)

Ramil89 01-31-2010 02:04 PM

Vibrations- I'm at a loss

I have no idea why I'm having vibrations. They were getting pretty bad, so I ha a sye and new driveshaft installed. The vibrations got worse. I got an alignment, they are still bad. They are the worst from 25-30, but still evident at lower an higher speeds. Any ideas on what could be causing this?? I don't know if it's related, but when I get into fourth gear and step on the gas, sometimes the rpms will rev, but the vehicle won't go faster. It will eventually click, and then go.

s3nt3nc3d 01-31-2010 02:09 PM

Don't try this until someone seconds what I say as I'm not sure if it'll work...or if it could screw up your Jeep.

But you might be able to try to at least isolate the problem by removing the front driveshaft and see if it goes away. If it doesn't, replace the front driveshaft and remove the rear (use 4wd to drive down your road and back and see if it's gone then).

Vibrations are almost always caused by something being out of balance...or a bad angle throwing it out of balance. At least that can narrow down where to start looking.

Once again...don't do this yet...let someone else chime in and confirm that it's okay to try.

Drummer_192 01-31-2010 02:37 PM

Id start with balancing your tires, and making sure they're balance properly.

InfernoGirl 01-31-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer_192 (Post 535145)
Id start with balancing your tires, and making sure they're balance properly.

And torqued properly.... These are two of the easiest things to check first. Improperly torqued lugs will give you the shakes like crazy, but I don't know what to think about the 4th gear not going thing tho...

Jerry Bransford 01-31-2010 02:48 PM

The same vibrations are now worse now after installing a SYE and CV driveshaft? Has someone been jacking with the rear pinion angle or not adjusted it properly for the new CV driveshaft? Such vibes are normally from an improper rear pinion angle if they are the same vibes you had before the CV driveshaft was installed.

This is what your rear pinion to driveshaft angle should look like. The rear pinion angle MUST be pointing directly in line with the CV driveshaft and not even 1 degree higher to prevent vibrations. It can be 1-2 degrees under that of the driveshaft but absolutely no higher.

Ramil89 02-04-2010 03:17 PM

So I checked the pinion angle, and it's slightly down, but nothing to effect it too much. I ended up putting the 2" transfer case drop back on, and the vibrations were at a minimum, but still slightly vibrates in second and third, 25-30mph. I'm convinced it's driveline vibrations, but I don't have any idea how to reduce that angle any more?

willysmb 02-04-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramil89 (Post 538576)
So I checked the pinion angle, and it's slightly down, but nothing to effect it too much. I ended up putting the 2" transfer case drop back on, and the vibrations were at a minimum, but still slightly vibrates in second and third, 25-30mph. I'm convinced it's driveline vibrations, but I don't have any idea how to reduce that angle any more?

What kind of suspension lift are you running? a 2" drop in addition to a SYE and cv rear shaft? WOW, so the drop helped for sure?

Jerry Bransford 02-04-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramil89 (Post 538576)

Can you post a good sharp well-lit photo of the rear of your Jeep from the side showing the angle relationship between your rear pinion angle and driveshaft?

Ramil89 02-05-2010 01:30 PM

yeah, I will post it later tonight, got a busy day today. I just figured that with the SYE and CV driveshaft that these problems would go away, apparently I also needed that t-case drop. The jeep came with a 4" RC lift, but my buddy had 5.5" RE springs sitting in his garage, so I threw them on and it's fine. I'll get long arms pretty soon, but the four inches of lift should be enough to go another 2" in either direction. I'll get that picture of the pinion angle and driveshaft up tonight.

Ramil89 02-05-2010 01:32 PM

and yes, the drop definitely helped- like night and day in difference.

willysmb 02-05-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramil89 (Post 539351)
and yes, the drop definitely helped- like night and day in difference.

Hhmmm..I got the same issue,but 5/8"-3/4" transfer case drop totally eliminated any vibs that I can feel.Im also running close to what your running suspension height wise.Im going to revisit my pinion angle when the weather warms up a bit.I tried twice,first time I was reading equal angle,had vibs,adjusted the upper CA,s shorter, had -2 deg pinion,same vibs.Need to recheck to make sure Im looking at the angle finder square on.......