Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   What is the first thing to go? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/what-is-the-first-thing-to-go-43894.html)

oguruma 02-03-2010 12:58 PM

What is the first thing to go?

I am in the market for a TJ, however, given that I am currently stationed in Germany, my options are limited. The two that I have found recently both have 100K+ miles (one has 105k, the other has 120k). Neither of them appear to have anything wrong with them at this point, but what I don't want is to buy a vehicle that requires my constant time and attention. I understand vehicles require maintainance, however I am currently working about 14 hours a day, so I need something that isn't going to be more trouble than it is worth.

I am curious what is usually the first thing that needs work on the 4.0 I-6 manuals? I have heard the motor is G2G, but what about the drivetrain and suspension?

birdhunter 02-03-2010 01:32 PM

The first thing is your gas money
next is your spending money from
all the upgrades (mods) that you will
want to do.LOL

Jeep do need upkeep change all the fluids on time
get a top of the line battery,brakes,
U-joints

79CJ5 02-03-2010 02:08 PM

do the usual maintenanceand upkeep and I think you'll be fine (fluids, brakes, rotate tires). You may get a little sagging in the suspension but nothing major.

Jp90Talon 02-03-2010 02:37 PM

Lets see....

I've had mine for a little over a year and put a bit over 50k miles on it. Things I had to replace.

-tires
-stock fog lightb switch
-u-joint
-battery
-windshield
-o2 sensors

It now has almost 160k on it and the worst part is that there are still soooo many new toys that I want to buy for it.

Rubigirl 07-04-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdhunter (Post 537626)
The first thing is your gas money
next is your spending money from
all the upgrades (mods) that you will
want to do.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
SOOO TRUE!!!:punk:

JDsDream 07-04-2010 10:55 PM

The only problem I've had since 06 is leaking axle seals. Seems to be pretty common.

mulhollanddrive 07-04-2010 11:06 PM

If you are buying from a German (does not matter whether private sale or dealership) make sure that they show you the warranty manual of the vehicle. You will see a stamp/signature/date for the service performed. Here in the U.S. it is common to have no manual or sparse service records but in Germany this would be alarming. Also, don't be surprised when buying privately if the engine is not washed - only dealerships do that - if a private seller does it he usually has something to hide.

mulhollanddrive 07-04-2010 11:10 PM

I do not know if you have looked here already:

mobile.de
autoscout24.de

Good luck!

cavediverjc 07-05-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulhollanddrive (Post 677134)
If you are buying from a German (does not matter whether private sale or dealership) make sure that they show you the warranty manual of the vehicle. You will see a stamp/signature/date for the service performed. Here in the U.S. it is common to have no manual or sparse service records but in Germany this would be alarming. Also, don't be surprised when buying privately if the engine is not washed - only dealerships do that - if a private seller does it he usually has something to hide.

I wash my engine every time I wash my Jeep. And I've nothing to hide. :wavey:

mulhollanddrive 07-05-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 677181)

Are you from Germany? Then you are the exception according to my experience.;)

Hendy 07-05-2010 10:22 AM

Front sway bar link ends, mine broke before I had 1,800 miles on the Jeep. The "stealership" wanted $385 to replace them, they would not cover them under the warranty because there was evidence that I had been offroading the Jeep. Go figure right, who buys a Jeep with the intent to take it off road...

If you plan to lift it I would go with these:

JKS Manufacturing 2000 - JKS Manufacturing Quicker Disconnects™ for 84-06 Jeep® Cherokee XJ, Comanche MJ, Grand Cherokee ZJ, Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 0-4" Lift - Quadratec

Vaccuum leaks are pretty common as well, check all the hoses, most of mine have been replaced already because they had cracked and were leaking. You will usually know when one has gone bad because the vents will stop working right or you will get a check engine light error message for a vaccuum leak.

Stock exhaust manifolds are also known to leak and or crack too.

30-284 07-05-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 677181)

I wash mine occasionally, but I always have a hide. :D

Donn

cavediverjc 07-05-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulhollanddrive (Post 677347)
Are you from Germany? Then you are the exception according to my experience.;)

Scotland, actually. :wavey:

baja 07-05-2010 02:25 PM

Its been my experience that if someone tells you they have nothing to hide,then they have something to hide-whether they wash or not.

cavediverjc 07-05-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 677526)
Its been my experience that if someone tells you they have nothing to hide,then they have something to hide-whether they wash or not.

Damn......you're on to me....... :D

sobrien012 02-18-2014 11:06 PM

I wash my motor every time also