Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   quick question hardtop/softtop q on my new jeep! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/quick-question-hardtop-softtop-q-on-my-new-jeep-44099.html)

Rmrichards1385 02-07-2010 03:53 PM

quick question hardtop/softtop q on my new jeep!

Hey there guys, I am getting my new Jeep Unlimited on Monday! Super Excited, but had a quick question, I want a hard top, but the one to get is a soft, but the dealer will be providing a hard top in about a month. (part of the deal for me to take theirs) Is there any difference or difficulty at all w/ placing a hard top on a jeep that was originally a soft top? Thx!

Geoff@Bestop 02-07-2010 04:01 PM

Congrats on the new ride!

There are hard top supply issues, so work out what happens if the dealer can't come through with his promise.

Taking off the soft top and replacing it with a hard top is not difficult. It is a pain-in-the-butt, mostly due to the hardtop being large and awkward. It's enough of a pain that most of us only do the hard-to-soft swap once a year. It will take two people. Three is even nice.

The hard top needs to be aligned carefully to avoid leaks.

The soft top will go back on fairly easily. It's a task that gets easier each year, as the top stretches a bit, and as you get used to which bow connects where. Your Jeep was made with a soft top standard, so you'll get the nice big door surrounds - the plastic "wings" over each door. Those get removed (very easy) for the hardtop, but provide a place for the door to close on when you're running a soft top.

Rmrichards1385 02-07-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 540637)
Congrats on the new ride!

The hard top needs to be aligned carefully to avoid leaks.

Thx! I can't wait! W/ the hardtop allignment, is that the exact same as if it was originally a hardtop and I was just taking it off and now placing it back on? From what it sounds like everything seems to be the same once you get the hardtop on? thx again for the help guys!

JDsDream 02-07-2010 05:48 PM

Just make sure that you get that promise in writing and don't let them just put it in your file. Get a copy for your records. Believe me you might need proof later. My stealership calls it a "We owe you" form and if you can't produce it when you go to get your hardtop, they might not be able to "locate" their copy. Experience is a great teacher.

Rmrichards1385 02-07-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDsDream (Post 540707)
Just make sure that you get that promise in writing and don't let them just put it in your file. Get a copy for your records. Believe me you might need proof later. My stealership calls it a "We owe you" form and if you can't produce it when you go to get your hardtop, they might not be able to "locate" their copy. Experience is a great teacher.

Haha thx for the heads up....I just can't wait for tomorrow!!! And then it's on to the shop! Thinking Teraflex or OME!

JDsDream 02-07-2010 08:29 PM

Make sure that your mods won't negate your warranty.

jk'n 02-07-2010 09:50 PM

If your jeep came with a soft top and was not a dual top group, the control for the rear wiper will not be on the blinker stem. I understand that there is a kit that has to be purchased to install so that the window defogger and wiper will be able to be operated.

Geoff@Bestop 02-07-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmrichards1385 (Post 540645)
Thx! I can't wait! W/ the hardtop allignment, is that the exact same as if it was originally a hardtop and I was just taking it off and now placing it back on? From what it sounds like everything seems to be the same once you get the hardtop on? thx again for the help guys!

Exactly the same as if you were just putting the hardtop on for the winter, yes.

And jk'n makes a good point: you may have some electrical connection issues. But it's solvable. I always forget about the wires.