Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/)
-   -   Slight Vibration at Highway Speeds (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/slight-vibration-at-highway-speeds-441337.html)

FIREMEDIC82 12-16-2013 11:16 PM

Slight Vibration at Highway Speeds
 
Hey all. 2008 JK with 47XXX miles on it.
I went wheeling with some buddies (snow wheeling) the other night, and now I have a vibration in my jeep.

I did not do anything super crazy when wheeling, but I did spin the tires pretty good in 4LO on a hill...for 10 minutes I was barely moving.

I went to see my lady friend today which includes about 20 minutes of 60MPH speeds. When I hit about 55MPH, I have a vibration from the rear end (it feels) and my steering seems like it is wandering.
The vibrations gets really bad at 60+

I recently had my steering stabalizer replaced; everything up front seems tight (at least its no different than it ever was to me) and there is not mud/ice/snow in the wheels.

I have ZERO lift done also. Any input?

kmrtnsn 12-16-2013 11:31 PM

Where do you feel the vibration, in your seat, in the steering wheel, through the floor and pedals?

Vibration is a symptom of a problem with a dynamic component (something that spins). Inspect your drive shafts for recent marks or dings. Look at your wheels for dings to the edges and missing wheel weights.

FIREMEDIC82 12-16-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn (Post 6817161)
Where do you feel the vibration, in your seat, in the steering wheel, through the floor and pedals?

Vibration is a symptom of a problem with a dynamic component (something that spins). Inspect your drive shafts for recent marks or dings. Look at your wheels for dings to the edges and missing wheel weights.

I feel the vibration in my seat, and in the steering wheel.

kmrtnsn 12-16-2013 11:42 PM

Most likely a tire or tires.

FIREMEDIC82 12-16-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn (Post 6817345)
Most likely a tire or tires.

That is what I am thinking. I'll take a closer look tomorrow. I'm gonna have a balance done anyway.

tab22092 12-17-2013 07:05 AM

Do you have aftermarket wheels?

shotzy 12-17-2013 07:30 AM

Sounds silly. but did you make sure that you got all of the snow out of the tire? It can cause a vibration. I know this from experience that it can hide pretty well sometimes.

FIREMEDIC82 12-17-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tab22092 (Post 6820105)
Do you have aftermarket wheels?

Yes and no. They are not "stock tires", they are (I think) 1 tire size larger, And are General Grabbers.

I have been wheeling with these tires (they came on the jeep) with no issues.

FIREMEDIC82 12-17-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotzy (Post 6820425)
Sounds silly. but did you make sure that you got all of the snow out of the tire? It can cause a vibration. I know this from experience that it can hide pretty well sometimes.

Affirmative. I did the best I could. I do not have the tools to Jack her up and remove the tires at my house (i know... i know). But I did bang em, reach in, look around, and ask nicely.

I am going tomorrow to get an alignment for 2 reasons
1) I get free alignment for 6 months, no questions asked (after this first payment)
2) It feels like the jeep wants to "wander"

RoadGlide 12-17-2013 07:49 AM

...remember when you have wheel/tire balance done, they are working with 1/4 ounce increments....

...a good slug of snow or ice behind a spoke can be a pound...

...my jk transmits any balance problem right directly to my posterior...without passing go...and without collecting $200...

tab22092 12-17-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadGlide (Post 6820705)
...remember when you have wheel/tire balance done, they are working with 1/4 ounce increments.... ...a good slug of snow or ice behind a spoke can be a pound... ...my jk transmits any balance problem right directly to my posterior...without passing go...and without collecting $200...

Very true snow has a huge effect if you got any tucked in the wheels somewhere. Also regarding the aftermarket wheel question i think you should be ok then if you have stock wheels. The factory puts on rotor retainer clips during assembly and the stock wheels have a gap milled into them to compensate for that. Aftermarket wheels dont and wont sit flush on the rotor causing a little vibration.

Michel347 12-17-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIREMEDIC82 (Post 6820497)
Affirmative. I did the best I could. I do not have the tools to Jack her up and remove the tires at my house (i know... i know). But I did bang em, reach in, look around, and ask nicely.

I am going tomorrow to get an alignment for 2 reasons
1) I get free alignment for 6 months, no questions asked (after this first payment)
2) It feels like the jeep wants to "wander"

Look at mines, lots of snow stuck in there, sure it will cause some vibrations, especially if you engage 4x4 over that, but at minus 28 I haven't try to get it off, it is frozen there.

http://imageshack.us/a/img823/9944/j4b7.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.